Life In Floripa > Life In Bsa

Mariano-BCN, thanks for bringing us back to the original topic and away from the childish name-calling which happens way too often on this forum.

A question about temporary housing: how did you find your place--an agency or direct from an owner? Any names or links you could provide would be much appreciated...

Hi, I founded this flat through a friend here. But it's not that difficult i guess. The 1000 R includes expensas (300 R) by the way. I'm staying in a Condominio (a kind of closed n'hood) in the hood called Caqueiros.

People usually are not as afraid of everything like in BsArs and don't start with the topics like "garantia". Last week even: I went to see a flat in San Telmo in Buenos Aires 'cause I'm still looking to buy there and the owner ask me to bring my ID...I ask him why: "You may be a thief", he said.
Another crazy thing of Buenos Aires-phobia that doesn't exist here: shops that are always locked by the owner and that you've to ring the bell in order to get in.
That kind of phobia I didn't encounter here in Floripa so far.

As I read I think to myself: all the beneffits from a small town, tranquility, security, nice people, good prices....
Appart from gorgeous beaches, you can find this in Arg interior as well, or even in Uruguay.

Sorry, the second comma is indeed optional. That changed about 8 years ago.

My wife and I have been looking at Brasil as a place to retire. She's from the north but I'd pick Floripa - especially since they have a world-class triathlon there. Plus, it's only a 2-hour flight back to BA ... where I can change my USD at the blue rate and have a kick-ass weekend for U$1,000. :)

As I read I think to myself: all the beneffits from a small town, tranquility, security, nice people, good prices....
Appart from gorgeous beaches, you can find this in Arg interior as well, or even in Uruguay.
indeed: Rosario or Victoria in Entre Rios could be the same. But they're still a part of Argentina and it has only one president...you understand what I mean?

I just came from a visit to the poorest area in Floripa. I asked a friend to bring me there by car. In no way it has the filthiness, despair or craziness of other Favelas I've seen in Rio, SP or Buenos Aires or even Rosario. Yes, people do live there in simple houses, most of them are black but even the streets there are clean and there's a relax atmosphere. Maybe it's always like this but it's another plus for this city.
I met at the supermarket one of the many Argentineans living here. He's from Rosario and was attracted by the higher loans of Brazil. He told there's a huge need of skilled workers here.

It sounds like a place I would love to live! I wouldn't mind living in a beach town in the off season as long as there's a city relatively close for weekend trips away or something. How far is the closest city?

I just came from a visit to the poorest area in Floripa. I asked a friend to bring me there by car. In no way it has the filthiness, despair or craziness of other Favelas I've seen in Rio, SP or Buenos Aires or even Rosario. Yes, people do live there in simple houses, most of them are black but even the streets there are clean and there's a relax atmosphere. Maybe it's always like this but it's another plus for this city.
I met at the supermarket one of the many Argentineans living here. He's from Rosario and was attracted by the higher loans of Brazil. He told there's a huge need of skilled workers here.

The state of Santa Catarina is not representative of Brazil. It is almost at European levels in terms of human and social development. You head to north to Rio, Bahia, Pernambuco and you will see more 3rd world style towns and villages.

It sounds like a place I would love to live! I wouldn't mind living in a beach town in the off season as long as there's a city relatively close for weekend trips away or something. How far is the closest city?

Florianopolis is the state capital and has a population of over 500 thousand people. In terms of shopping, you should be able to find pretty much anything. If you need a really large city (1 million+ inhabitants), Porto Alegre is about 500km away to the south and Curitiba is about 300km away to the north. The entire region is highly developed and urbanized.

http://youtu.be/kOrKbtEN-hM

Florianopolis is the state capital and has a population of over 500 thousand people. In terms of shopping, you should be able to find pretty much anything. If you need a really large city (1 million+ inhabitants), Porto Alegre is about 500km away to the south and Curitiba is about 300km away to the north. The entire region is highly developed and urbanized.
Sounds perfect!

Back