Limited Liability Company ?

Johnny

Registered
Hello All,

Cutting to the chase, I am self employed with a contractual relationship with a firm in Miami. I have been living in BsAs for most of the past five years, renewing my tourist visa every 90 days like so many others. Presently I am thinking about starting an LLC in the states in order to assist with obtaining a temporary residency in Argentina. I am wondering if anyone here has gone that route, and with any success. I am aware this is a bit of a transparent shell game, but it seems my only realistic (?) chance of qualifying for residency here, without getting married to an Argentine. Nice girls here, but no thanks.;) I have spoken briefly with an attorney here and my accountant in the states, but I am looking for some anecdotal info.

Thanks for any advise and/or stories.

Citizenship has some implications than some people may not want to undertake.

To the OP, no advice I'm afraid. What visa would the LLC enable you to have?

citygirl said:

To the OP, no advice I'm afraid.

Like what?

Don´t you think that opening a fake company in the US will have more implications?
If he is working here, you pay monotributo and that´s it. Our tax collecting system is very inefficient. I know people with companies who pays the minimum monotributo.

Once you are a citizen you can quit any time you want and use it (citizen) for permanent residency if you are not happy being a citizen.
So, may you be more specific please about the implications you are talking about?

Regards

I don't know how the US handle it, but many countries take away your citizenship once they get to know that you obtained another citizenship. I prefer having an Austrian passport over having an Argentine one.

Also please clear up the point of being able to switch from Argentine citizenship to permanent residency. I was told that argentine citizenship can not be renounced. Was that a wrong information?

citygirl said:

To the OP, no advice I'm afraid. What visa would the LLC enable you to have?
Hi CG, I'm trying to wrangle a rentista visa. I have heard from everyone, lawyers and others, that Argentina has tightened up the criteria. Clearly, even with an LLC, my income is still earned, not passive. I'm scrambling with the hope that I get lucky and squeeze through a crack. I'm not very optimistic about it.

As for the citizenship route mentioned by Bajo, I know next to nothing about it. I do know that I would like to steer clear, as best I can, of the taxman.

Argentina has been a paradise for me when it comes to taxes. I've been able to utilize the expat tax exclusion in the US and avoid any invasive tax here in Argentina. Nice. BUT, I've been "ultima prorroged" twice and it looks like the 90 day renewals are becoming a crapshoot. I don't want to live with that uncertainty.

That's it in a nutshell. Obviously I'd like to hear that someone went the LLC route and it worked for the rentista visa. Vamos a ver.

Johnny said:
Hi CG, I'm trying to wrangle a rentista visa. I have heard from everyone, lawyers and others, that Argentina has tightened up the criteria. Clearly, even with an LLC, my income is still earned, not passive. I'm scrambling with the hope that I get lucky and squeeze through a crack. I'm not very optimistic about it.

As for the citizenship route mentioned by Bajo, I know next to nothing about it. I do know that I would like to steer clear, as best I can, of the taxman.

Argentina has been a paradise for me when it comes to taxes. I've been able to utilize the expat tax exclusion in the US and avoid any invasive tax here in Argentina. Nice. BUT, I've been "ultima prorroged" twice and it looks like the 90 day renewals are becoming a crapshoot. I don't want to live with that uncertainty.

That's it in a nutshell. Obviously I'd like to hear that someone went the LLC route and it worked for the rentista visa. Vamos a ver.

You say that you are looking to set up a LLC, does that mean you are currently self employed?

mini said:
You say that you are looking to set up a LLC, does that mean you are currently self employed?
Yes Mini, I've been self employed for many years.

Johnny said:

If you are living in Argentina then you owe Argentina income tax which is at a substantially higher rate than the U.S, , regardless of your immigration status. My guess is that when you say you are avoiding taxes here that you really mean you are evading them, i.e. you owe them but have not paid as the government is not aware of your presence. If you apply for a visa you might be putting yourself on the radar for tax purposes.

gouchobob said:
If you are living in Argentina then you owe Argentina income tax which is at a substantially higher rate than the U.S, , regardless of your immigration status. My guess is that when you say you are avoiding taxes here that you really mean you are evading them, i.e. you owe them but have not paid as the government is not aware of your presence. If you apply for a visa you might be putting yourself on the radar for tax purposes.
Hi GB. I'm aware that should I be successful in obtaining residency that I might open a can of worms. I hope the can will be small and the consequences not overly onerous.;) As regards evading and avoiding, I take no responsibility for the fickle nature of the government here. And, I don't mean that in a dissrespectful way. I go my own way and play by the rules most of the time. But, I am more interested in how the law and rules are applied, rather than in their "pure" form. In other words, I am not interested in doing the government's job for them. That applies here or anywhere. Cheers.

Back