Limited Liability Company ?

Bajo_cero2 said:
Why not?
You need 3 years of legal residency for permanent residency, right? And you need 2 years of residency for citizenship. As soon as you have the 3 years, the citizenship heals your illegal residency and there is no legal reason for denying it.

To apply for citizenship, does your residency in argentina have to have been permanent? As in "not left the country in two years"?

Cheers

J

Johnny said:
Hi GB. I'm aware that should I be successful in obtaining residency that I might open a can of worms. I hope the can will be small and the consequences not overly onerous.;) As regards evading and avoiding, I take no responsibility for the fickle nature of the government here. And, I don't mean that in a dissrespectful way. I go my own way and play by the rules most of the time. But, I am more interested in how the law and rules are applied, rather than in their "pure" form. In other words, I am not interested in doing the government's job for them. That applies here or anywhere. Cheers.

If you can't afford to pay taxes in Argentina, you should go back to the USA. I know the national sport in Argentina is tax avoidance, but by not actively paying them you are just contributing to the problems this country has. You expect the streets to be clean, the police to fight crime etc. etc. yet you are sponging off other people who earn less than you but pay tax.

I'm sure I earn considerably less than you, I'm a Monotributo pay the tax I owe, pay my Bienes Personales every year (declaring all I own). I live in Argentina I respect the country that I live in. I don't use and then dispose of it when I have finish using it.

Why do people have this attitude?

Johnny said:
My accountant in the USA is currently investigating whether I would lose my expat tax exclusion should I go the LLC route.

You have an accountant in the US? Can you tell me how you deal with the self employment tax? PM would be fine. I'm not sure how onerous it is. But I don't think it's so painful as to merit getting an accountant.

Being self employed and a USA citizen I pay the self employed social security and medicare tax. It's not peanuts depending on your income. I'm also over the expat tax exclusion limit. So, I do pay federal income tax.

As for Jez's comments, sorry you are sore. I pay taxes as noted above to one country and forgive me if I don't pay here. Besides, as noted, no government official from Argentina has asked me to pay taxes. IN ADDITION, if you are all bent out of shape about taxes being paid in Argentina, why don't you focus on the TONS of Argentine citizens who pay little to no taxes and are doing a hell of a lot more to evade and avoid them than I am. There are a whole lot more of those folks avoiding the taxman than are deadbeat or rolling in clover expats. Mira vos.

mini said:
You have an accountant in the US? Can you tell me how you deal with the self employment tax? PM would be fine. I'm not sure how onerous it is. But I don't think it's so painful as to merit getting an accountant.

You file Schedule SE with form 1040. SE Tax is 15.3% up to $106,800 of earned income and 2.9% (only medicare part) thereafter. Half of SE tax is deductible.

jp said:
To apply for citizenship, does your residency in argentina have to have been permanent? As in "not left the country in two years"?

Cheers

J

No. Supreme Court said recently that residency doesn´t mean legal residence, it mean that you live here. Continuous means that you actually have your address here. If you travel for vacation, visa renewal or visiting family you still have your address here.

Regards

Johnny said:
Being self employed and a USA citizen I pay the self employed social security and medicare tax. It's not peanuts depending on your income. I'm also over the expat tax exclusion limit. So, I do pay federal income tax.

Good for you!

I'm not even close or near close or a fraction of close to the exemption amount. :( In fact, it's so little that I've never bothered with it even though the limit of paying SE is, like, $400 (?). So, I would guess, also based on what Igor says below I could probably do this myself without an accountant, right?

igor said:
You file Schedule SE with form 1040. SE Tax is 15.3% up to $106,800 of earned income and 2.9% (only medicare part) thereafter. Half of SE tax is deductible.

Thanks Igor. I'll take a look at the forms online.

Back