Line A: Renovation!

Erm, I think that's the subte network when the borgs will be running things in about 2892, certainly not now. :lol: By then, the most popular topics on this forum will be "visa run to Ganymede" and "dollar hits 7000 pesos".

You may be correct I never visited the dungeons of the Subte, Dollar 7000 pesos? seems low? judging by the 13 ceros taken from the Arg peso? in the past century!!!

How old are the SF cable cars? The New Or;eans Charles Street trolley line?

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html

Aren't they safe = and national treasures!

How old are the SF cable cars? The New Or;eans Charles Street trolley line?

http://www.neworlean...streetcars.html

Aren't they safe = and national treasures!

If they are to you then that's fine.

Like I said before, I am not an American, never been there, never used those cars, don't know how well maintained they are.

In Argentina however are the 100 year old trains well maintained? No. Do I trust the government or Metrovias when they say they WILL be well maintained? No freakin way.

Are they a national treasure? To me they are a hazard. Put them in a museum or at a park. I don't want to ride them and get burned alive one of these days.

The people comparing the SF cable cars to Line A of the Subte don't realize that the cable cars are a TOURIST attraction. Few locals ride them. It's current use is much different than its original. It currently serves to drag tourists up and down the hills of San Francisco for 5 USD one way. They are expensive and the lines to board them are long. They actually get in the way of the normal buses. Fortunately, their routes are small.

Line A is not a tourist attraction, no matter how nostalgic you might feel about the old cars. It's current purpose is to move people from point A to point B, safely, and dare I say, in a timely manner. Sure, it would be nice if they could refurbish them to be safe and retain their look and feel, but that seems highly unlikely given the current management and condition of the Subte.

Also, while I'm here, you should realize that the SF cable cars take up a lot of resources (i.e. money) that takes away from the other MUNI services. The normal trams and buses are a decaying piece of shit that actually makes the Subte not seem so bad.

From a cultural resource/heritage management former student I find this topic really interesting. The A line is quite special but also come with a lot of problems and possible dangers.
The general idea(at least where I come from) to manage old constructions that can be considered of special interest/heritage is, if possible, to continue to use them but with an adaptation to current circumstances.
In this case, the cars could be fixed to better meet modern security standards, maybe run only on sundays and/or days when there is not a lot of people going from/to work. As far as I know these wagons are also made to be able to run as tramways, which is another option.

I used to live in Gothenburg, Sweden, where tramways have been around since 1879(by horse) and electric since 1902. The electric wagons from then and forward are still in use summertime for tourists and can also be rented. Tricky thing horse preservation.

Anyway, I think the A line trains could continue run, just not as today. Dont know if it is possible based on logistics, economy, saftey etc. These parameters doesnt always seem compatible with Argentina.

True SF cable cars are used mostly by tourists. Thank God they were saved from people who considered them rubbish, I believe the New Orleans trolley lines are used by the general public and not just tourists. They run some ancient equipment, well maintained. The "A" line could continue to run a number of "recycled" old cars, if only for tourist purposes

The line A one hundred year old cars should be kept running... ! However Passengers should sign a Hold Harmless Clause to release the subte of legal liability in case of accident.

A provision in an agreement under which one or both parties agree not to hold the other party responsible for any loss, damage, or legal liability. In effect, this clause indemnifies the parties on a unilateral or reciprocal basis (as the case may be)

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/hold-harmless-clause.html#ixzz2GS9Z6c1w

Back