Line A: Renovation!

They sure do:

Character: Stinky, they smell like they're on fire
Class: Third class, also known as rolling piece of crap.
Little maintenance would take care of the problems. Guess New Orleans should retire the St Charles street cars, San Francisco retire cable cars.....

Just my feeling friend. Should San Telmo be leveled because streets and buildings are in disrepair? I like old crap.

San Francisco runs old street cars from all over the world. Milano , Moscow , Munich. They maintain them and they a charming. As to weather Linea A cars are worth refurbishing , I cannot say. Buenos AIres at one time had street cars. It would be a good idea. I like old things too. Important to preserve some history.

As an aside , I seem to remember the Senior Macri had something to do with the purchase of trains from China. Like a little commission of some $10 million dollars. Just saying it is nice to know the right people.....

The extensive workshops in Cabillito wont be needed and no doubt will be up for redevelopment - they were involved in keeping the hand crafted Belgium rolling stock going and especially the woodern brakes which are museum pieces.

Bad news for Asociacion Amigos de Transvla who use the access line from Linea A up to street level. I enjoy taking my kids on this even if it is just nostalgia. The three main tram systems in BsAs were amoungst the largest in the world - linea A was part of the Anglo-Argentine Tramways Company network and opened in 1913 and the first in the southern hemisphere or latin america I believe . Hope they could celebrate a centenary with an up to date system and the restoration and investment in the preservation of an important part of the urban heritage of the City.

http://www.tranvia.org.ar/

Far better to have taken this step five years ago made the same investment for Linea A to become a modern mass transit system and to have used the refurbished rolling stock (same guage) which could with TLC look magnificent instead of the hugely unimpressive tourist train which starts nowhere and goes nowhere - "Tranvia del este" Puerto Madero. Wait for 2112 for it to reach Boca?

Seattle have done well from the original Melbourne street trams in a similar situation - which are also wood (teak) a sustainable and durable product but not for use underground - the Kings Cross fire - due in part to woodern escalators - changed the design and acceptable materials for underground/subway services around the globe and that was in 1987. You will notice that all the new subte stations have "canyon" type voids from platforms to street level for this reason.

Little maintenance would take care of the problems. Guess New Orleans should retire the St Charles street cars, San Francisco retire cable cars.....

Just my feeling friend. Should San Telmo be leveled because streets and buildings are in disrepair? I like old crap.

"Guess New Orleans should retire the St Charles street cars, San Francisco retire cable cars....." Sure, why not? Not an American, don't really care.

"Just my feeling friend. Should San Telmo be leveled because streets and buildings are in disrepair? I like old crap." Yes, if the buildings are a hazard then level them.

You can like old crap all you want, I can disagree with it. That's what a forum is all about.

I like old crap too in its proper place. That proper place happens to be called a museum.

Anyone who loves the old trains on Line A obviously don't have to use them regularly.

They are incredibly dangerous and if they had continued to run them into the ground, as they are, Its only a matter of time before there is another Once but with the added possibility of wooden trains going on fire!

They're probably going to sell the wooden crates to collectors all over the world and make a killing. But as usual they will say that made us a favor getting rid of them at no charge.

I like the linea A classics. The first train of the formation always has the best ventilation of ANY of the subtes in the city because of the front facing window that can be almost completely lowered. Also the doorways are noticeably higher than the pygmy sized entrances in the other lines.

Anyway does anyone know what they are going to replace these wooden pieces of crap with...

I hope they would use whatever they earn from these pieces of crap to make the subway better.

Just so that you know, there are a large number of people who don't believe these cars are a piece of crap. As others have said, they are classy and elegant. And given the amount of time they've been running (100 years in December 2013), their performance has been astounding, with relatively little repairs needed through all these years. Putting them in perspective, newer cars can't stand so much time running... they'll be trash in much less than 100 years, and not because people just decide it.

Anyone who loves the old trains on Line A obviously don't have to use them regularly.

I love those old La Brugeoise train cars (that's the original Belgian manufacturer) and I have used them regularly almost since I was born, and I'm 36. And I know many people in the same situation, especially people from the neighborhoods Line A passes through, like Caballito.

They are incredibly dangerous and if they had continued to run them into the ground, as they are, Its only a matter of time before there is another Once but with the added possibility of wooden trains going on fire!

Well, on the whole, I agree that there has to be a time when renovation is needed, and these cars have their dangers. What I don't agree is with this attitude of rejecting the old trains so vehemently without even acknowledging all the advantages that they have.

I can´t believe they are taking away the old cars! I LOVE taking line A. Everytime a foreign friend is visiting we take this line - they are always fascinated and I get to feel proud of my city.

I´m sure risks could be mitigated if our beloved politicians wanted to. I took the old street trams in San Francisco (from all over the world) and Lisbon (originally from Swtizerland) and I thought they were beautiful. Why can these cities keep their old cars and we can´t? I wonder if locals in San Francisco would let this happen. I don´t think so.

They should -at least- keep the cars running. I guess replacing the ugly useless tram in Puerto Madero with the old cars would be better than nothing. But even better, why not build a tram line in the city center? From San Telmo to Retiro :))) Washington DC is building its first tram and it should be a big success. Where on earth are our urban planners???

I can´t believe nobody is protesting against this. This is one of those times where I wish I was an activist and had strong community organizing skills :)))

Back