Link to CFK Harvard event.

Surely you would only be worried if you weren't paying the taxes that you had to.

Wander: the government of Argentina purposely makes it impossible to pay all taxes (for example, see the Inc. article two years ago, the World Bank said that, if the average business in Argentina paid all the taxes it is obligated to, it would pay 108% of its profit in taxes -- thus making it literally impossible for a business to pay all your taxes, since you can't pay all your profit in taxes, plus more, and still stay in business). So, knowing that you must not pay all your taxes to survive here, the government uses the AFIP as a method to punish its political foes or anyone who criticizes the government (take as an example: remember last year, about 8 economists were fined $500,000 pesos each, just for publicly stating what they think the real inflation rate is? What was the way in which they were all fined: the AFIP found different tax violations of each of the 8, and just gave each of them a fine for a different tax avoidance issue, and each fine happened to be $500,000 pesos). Yes: if the government keeps you in a constant of law-breaking by making the laws impossible to comply with, then the government has the ability to punish anyone at any moment, and this is what the government does.

I have closely followed Cristina's visit as of about a week ago, prior to her arrival in New York, (my native city) and all throughout her visit and both speeches at Georgetown and Harvard. I am truly disappointed at how this has all played out. When I first heard that she was going to visit these prestigious Universities, I thought, well she is going to try and re-invent her image somehow, speak about key themes and attempt, as difficult as it may be to try and re-brand Argentina as a serious country to the world. I think she failed miserably, and unbelieveably told outright lies to people watching her. I mean, how can she say how she gained millions being a successful lawyer, when there is no record of legal case or lawsuit, anywhere in Argentina, that lists her as the acting attorney (letrado) as they say here. Can she show her "facturas" for client billings, and reported income? And if so, who audited this, AFIP? And furthermore, no dollar clamp? Ok so if I travel to New York and try to take money out of my argentine savings account, can I? NO! If I decide to leave Argentina, which at this point I am leaning more and more in that direction, can I sell my property and take my money with me? Given the fact that I had to close my business last year (due to government corruption), and since I've closed it, I have worked for 2 companies, that both packed up and left Argentina, leaving me unemployed, and not having an easy time finding a stable job. What does someone in my situation do, Crisitna?

It's incredible some of the "facts" she states that can be so EASILY investigated with about 10 secs on the net -- ie not just at Georgetown but also at Harvard did she state that Argentina is the country with the most dollars in circulation after the USA (I did notice this one correction of hers, at first she had said that had the most USD, then changed to USD in circulation at Harvard speech).

Cristina, that is not correct. Considering Ecuador, Panama and a few other countries use the USD as their ONLY currency, I can already say this statement is highly doubtful.

Canada, as the USA's largest trading partner (or at least was when I grea up, I wouldn't be surprised if we've been replaced by China), accepts USD at pretty much any store throughout the country, and companies that are trading with the US do so in USD, and it's very common to hold USD accounts.

She also claimed Argentina is the ONLY place outside USA where you can get a plaza fijo in USD, actually that's also wrong, again in Canada you can invest in a USD GIC (a GIC = a plaza fijo).

Back