Liquid Egg Whites

Having pre-packaged (refrigerated) egg whites is great if one's doing the "Dukan Diet" (fat-free, sugar-free, the lowest-carb veggies.) Without pre-packaged ones, the fridge accumulates 6 unused egg yolks some days at a time when you must not use them and then you feel wasteful for throwing them down the drain. Many countries outside North America don't sell liquid egg-whites, not just Argentina.

You can freeze egg yolks. Even if you don't actually use them later, after separating you could put the egg yolks into an ice cube tray, shove them in the freezer. I think they last up to 6 mos, you'd have to check online. If you don't happen to need to make a hollandaise sauce in that time, haha, then you can just dump the frozen cubes into your garbage the same day that you take it out of your apartment, that way no smelly yolks sitting in the bag for a couple of days. (Oh how I miss garburators, or whatever Americans call them -- the insinkerator things...)

BTW -- you can also freeze your egg whites and thaw for later use. So if separating on demand drives you nuts, go out, buy a flat of 36 eggs, separate yolk from white, store each white in it's own ice cube compartment. If you're not going to use the yolks at all, just dump them all together in a bag, seal, put in freezer until ready to trash. To use your egg whites, 1 cube will = 1 egg white, thaw as many as you need for your shake in the fridge (even put them in the blender jar in the fridge to thaw). You could experiment too, see if you can make the shake with frozen or semi-frozen cubes, not sure if they'd separate or give a weird texture, or just chill your shake nicely.

http://www.nigella.com/kitchen-queries/view/Frozen-Egg-Whites/3541

sync girl,

sounds complicated.

I am a lazy guy. thats why looking for pre-packed stuff.

And don't trash the shells either, eat them (after boiling) for the calcium. It's meant to be good for your teeth.

And don't trash the shells either, eat them (after boiling) for the calcium. It's meant to be good for your teeth.

I'm sorry but that doesn't sound appetizing at all. Crunchy and tasting of chalk, not to mention that half the time egg shells seem to have remnants of chicken shit on them.

I think I'll stick to milk and if needed calcium supplements.

I have the opposite problem as ceviche, I always end up with a tupper of egg whites in the fridge which I have to figure out what to do with.

Why waste the yolks, the gallinaceous big bird lays them at great effort,don't waste them. Don't you guys love the mayonnaise?

Back