Lisbon Vs Buenos Aires

Porto would be quieter and have a more local feel than Lisbon, which would be more cosmopolitan. Both cities are nice.

Looking for cheap? think Morocco. Exciting, cheap, nice beaches. We're in Lisbon now, just got here last night. Looks nice, nice architecture, ton's of tourists.
Nancy

The vice President asserted on TV that the elections of this year were not needed for now (?) and that the President should stay 6 years instead if 4 (both are in the National Constitution).

From this to a self coup d'État there is a thin red line.

This administration forgets that in the last modification of the National Constitution were made some specific changes to avoid a new coup d'État.

The 2 most importants are 1) this is betrayal and 2) any citizen is legally allow to use letal force for self defending democracy.

So, if they really want to cancel elections because they are going to loose them widely, then the Congress is going to enact a law calling fot elections, then what can they do? to shut down the Congress? If they are stupid/crazy enought to do that, any citizen has a legal permit to kill them. And the most reactionary and violent people in this country are those who voted for this administration, they are the real danger not the opposition.

I witnessed how people rebuked Duran Barba at the parking of Alto Palermo some weeks ago. One after another went until him with some complains / insults. One of them was begging, please do not forgive the middle class, I voted for him and he is destroying me. I replied to him that after the self forgiving of 4.5 billion usd, I doubt he cares about him or even the elections.

The day after the news was that Duran Barba made a poll asking how many people wanted Macri to resign.

I didn't see something like this since Cavallo after the crisis of 2001.

So, this doesn't looks good.
I'm not taking sides but would like to hear the other side of the story. Please.

T/

Looking for cheap? think Morocco. Exciting, cheap, nice beaches. We're in Lisbon now, just got here last night. Looks nice, nice architecture, ton's of tourists.
Nancy

The avalanche of tourists in Lisbon has been an issue with the locals. Same can be said for a number of cities in Europe. Barcelona prime among them.

Lisbon is being called the 'best' city in the world (in the sense of being vibrant and compared with Berlin, I think). So says 'Wallpaper' magazine.

I live in Nice, France whose groceries and everything but taxis cost the same or less now than their counterparts in BA! Meals out in Canada now cost more than here and look sloppy, unappetizing to me in pics online. French meals look more similar to BA ones. (We moved here from Canada.)

Spain's groceries cost half of France's. Italy's restos, groceries, flowers, cheese, fresh-baked savoury tarts, liquor, coffee, cookies, pastries, plants, amaretti, porcini mushrooms, fresh herbs, fruit, footwear, clothing, a couple of luxe treats cost 1/3 to 1/2 of France's. That difference covers our train fares to Liguria and back and our hot lunches out while grocery-shopping there.

As a year-long backpacker across Europe in the early 70's, the place where I felt poorest in my life was France. Dinner consisted of each city's cheapest cuppa from some cafeteria, a half baguette, and an orange to peel from a store. I licked resto windows (French for 'window shop' but I nearly did lick them in Marseilles) and just knew that Canada where I came from would forever be the word's cheapest country for food. France was still as expensive in the mid-eighties.

It's ridiculous how now we can live in France for less than BA where we were supposed to be retiring. One of the most unexpected phenomena I've encountered is countries reversing position over decades as to which are affordable or not for somebody or a family with an ordinary income. We'd agreed to move to France and spend 3 months a year in BA for tango and meet up with our friends there regularly. But with Arg inflation, the fees for FX here to $US cash being up to 10% and BA's atm problems re peso cash and foreign atm cards, we can't afford to risk a long stay in BA.

Shockhopper, no, it is very logic: it is a fraud.
The cheap usd is always together with a strong taking of debt. So, they can buy cheap usd and send them abroad while common people is going to pay the party. It already happened during the last dictatorship. It was called plata dulce (sweet money).

Back