Lived In Ba ... But Going To Cordoba

AliA

Registered
Hi everyone!

My name is Ali. I'm a medical resident and I spent almost two months enjoying myself immensely in BA last spring. I'm going to Cordoba for a month this January and was wondering if anyone could recommend a cueva. I wanted to use Xoom but now it's closed in Cordoba (!!!). Thank you :)

Hi Ali. The blue rate aint gonna change much in one month, you can get your pesos beforehand in buenos aires and problem solved.
if you run out of pesos while in cordoba, since it's a smaller town, you wont have any trouble finding the place that the local hotels and places use!
btw, I'm not the paranoid type, but your first very first post asking for a "cueva" is a way of introduction that might be taken the wrong way by some deranged right wing lunatics.

Deranged right wing lunatics? Don't know if you're referring to me (neither right wing, nor, I think, deranged; although people think Libertarians are both and they couldn't be farther from the truth about either being right-wing or deranged at least as a whole :) ), because I did mention at some point not too long ago that cuevas are hard to break into by just anyone because of the natural suspicion and borderline paranoia (rightfully so) that cuevas have in this political climate.

Personally, I wouldn't introduce anyone to a cueva for money transfers unless I knew them personally (well, I might make an exception for someone on the board who had been here a while and had a lot of posts) and could vouch for them, because I've been asked by the cueva folk themselves not to do so and run the risk of advertising their existence to people who could do them damage.

within two blocks of my house are two cuevas who will let anyone in, they just buzz you in- I entered both with no recommendation, no id check, just a casual glance. Now, I suppose I dont fit the motochorro profile, but I think its a lot easier to change money than you imply.
I was in Tandil last year, walked into a bank-like place on the main street, with big signs that said cambio, they gave me blue rate no questions asked.

People need to understand the difference between a "cueva" and an "arbolito" or cambio, and the operations that are possible between the two.

Since the OP wanted to use Xoom, I was assuming that the OP was wanting to send money, which has nothing to do with walking in and changing dollars at the blue rate (which both a cambio/arbolito and a cueva will do), but rather sending money from outside the country to be received here in dollars (or pesos, and that's a service that cuevas handle and arbolitos/cambios don't, unless they are tied to a cueva that will accept someone coming in off the street to do a transfer - which I've personally never heard of and have tried many times to see if I could find one, even with arbolitos where I've done business with them for a year or more).

Deranged right wing lunatics? Don't know if you're referring to me (neither right wing, nor, I think, deranged; although people think Libertarians are both

I was not not thinking of you, I was exaggerating for the sake of facetious with Ali. I meant to say: Who in his right mind asks openly or rather honestly for a cueva in cordoba in his first post? It doesn't take a right wing paranoid maniac to be a little cautious. That's all.
Glad to know you that you don't consider Libertarianism Right Wing, it's good to see how it's becoming more of a big tent ;)

Ria and Xoom (just a new pick up location unless something changed in the last two weeks) both work in Cordoba Capital. Many other options are readily available. Cordoba isn't BA, but it's not Mayberry either. :)

within two blocks of my house are two cuevas who will let anyone in, they just buzz you in- I entered both with no recommendation, no id check, just a casual glance. Now, I suppose I dont fit the motochorro profile, but I think its a lot easier to change money than you imply.
I was in Tandil last year, walked into a bank-like place on the main street, with big signs that said cambio, they gave me blue rate no questions asked.

Hey all - I realize I'm a first time poster here and posting on a somewhat sensitive subject. I am however a regular poster over at Flyertalk and heard of your blog there. Anyway, I am heading to Argentina next week and want to exchange USD for Pesos. There is a lot of terminology floating around that has me a bit confused. For example, what is the difference between a cuevas and a money exchanger? It appeared to me that I'd get a better rate at a cuevas - but from this board it appears they are all similar (in which case since my only need is to exhange USD to pesos - they all work). Assuming they are all similar - wouldn't I just be able to walk into any place that has "money exchange" out front and get a rate close enough to the dolar blue rate?

I'm in Chile now - and the rates for ARS are all over the place. I was able to get 48 last week in Vina Del Mar. But this week in the Lake District I can only find 55-57 (which is terrible). That's like 11 to the USD whereas 48 is 13 to USD. As long as I get close to 13 I'm happy... I don't need every last peso. Just trying to do better than Xoom and the absurd gov't rate. So finally to my last question.... I end my trip in BsAs. So I need to find a cuevas (or similar) in Mendoza, Cordona and Salta. Easy enough for a gringo? Or any tips? Feel free to PM if you'd like (and again - you can check my same username over at Flyertalk if you want a little background). Many thanks!

Back