Living In Ba

I have sent money to myself using XOOM many times. I have a friend in the USA who has sent funds (always under $5000 pesos per month) using XOOM to another friend in Argentina a number of times without any problem whatsoever and the recipient was never asked to complete any paperwork.

If you have relatives sending you money with RIA you may have to complete the paperwork but not necessarily have to reveal any personal information about them. When you complete the "origin of funds form" all you should have to do is indicate the origin of the funds is from the "bank account" of "sender's name" and the purpose of the funds is "ayuda de familia" (family assistance), even if they don't have the same last name and the funds will be used for "living" expenses.

When I first tried (unsuccessfully) to send money to myself using RIA I transferred money (with a free skype phone call) from my Schwab account to the Schwab account of a friend who actually lives in BA but has a VPN and a US phone number. He then initiated a RIA transfer that was deposited into my Argentine bank account without any question of forms to be completed. Even if the amount is less than $500 pesos they can ask for the paperwork at anytime.

Thanks... what if I they want to send more than 5000 pesos? What kind of paperwork would Xoom ask for? I read another post here that said they would ask for no paperwork and that it went smoothly (I think in that case it was actually a guy sending himself $1000).

Hey guys!

Wow. You guys are writing so much and about so many topics it is hard to keep up! I appreciate all the response though, and I apologize if I don't respond specifically to everything, it would just be too difficult to stay organized. Ill try to touch on some of the points.

1. I read these forums a lot before coming here and making an account, etc... which is why I seem like I have a running start. I've used the search option to find things, but most everything seems very bickery and negative and it is hard to weed out good info from bad.

2. I was under the assumption that most borderline "illegal" things in Argentina could be navigated against? The 6 month temporary rent may be true but it is not enforced. I only have a basic contract for 3 months though I will keep renting beyond that with the owner. My roomate's family is pretty honest and has been helping me out with advice a lot, so we will see. In the upcoming weeks and such I can post updates to let you guys know what works or does not work.

3. El Queso, UADE sounds great and I looked at it online, plus it is very cheap. Is there anyway I could contact your sister in law and maybe she could give me some info or show me the campus? Also, El Queso, are you willing to give me a shot at employment? I'm a pretty quick learner and might be able to be a good addition to whatever it is you do. What is it that you do? I would also like to hear your story if you want to PM it to me Ill keep my mouth shut, but since Im in a siminal situation it may be beneficial to me.

4. Getting money into Argentina and out is apparently a very simple task, but will have to pay a percentage to a middleman. I found two options, a transfer institution that will transfer me large amounts of dollars in the country for 3-4 percent, and another one who will transfer smaller amounts for a 10% overall commission, which is still better than western union and xoom (ive looked at both and its a big rip off). I havent tried anything yet but I will update you all as soon as I do or you can PM me if you are shy.

5. Again, thanks for the help. THe longer I'm here, the more people I meet, the more info I receive so thanks.

Not sure if this is the place to ask but is the attitude in Argentina the same as in Brazil and other parts of Latin America ("it's not gay if you're on top" (and especially if you take money for it)).

Disclaimer: I'm just asking out of curiosity, mean nothing by it. Haven't been able to get a reading on things here yet.

I also asked this maybe someone can answer...

Thanks... what if I they want to send more than 5000 pesos? What kind of paperwork would Xoom ask for? I read another post here that said they would ask for no paperwork and that it went smoothly (I think in that case it was actually a guy sending himself $1000).

XOOM's and RIA's Argentine partners can ask for paperwork anytime. Both have asked for copies (jpegs) of my DNI and origin of the funds form. there is also a declaration that I am not a political person in Argentina that had to be signed. RIA's form now includes the latter..

XOOM's Argentine partner has asked my for more info than RIA's, but I transferred more than $1500 pesos the first time I used XOOM and their Argentine partner has wanted "more" ever since. They occasionally ask for bank statements and current evidence of the source of the funds that I have been sending to myself.

RIA's partner recently (and for the first time) asked for a signed "origin of funds" form that I filled out and sent back (in a jpeg). I provided the name of the sender, the "family" relationship, and the "purpose" of the funds. I was not required to provide any personal information about the sender (including home address or "ID" number).

XOOM's and RIA's Argentine partners can ask for paperwork anytime. Both have asked for copies (jpegs) of my DNI and origin of the funds form. there is also a declaration that I am not a political person in Argentina that had to be signed. RIA's form now includes the latter..

XOOM's Argentine partner has asked my for more info than RIA's, but I transferred more than $1500 pesos the first time I used XOOM and their Argentine partner has wanted "more" ever since. They occasionally ask for bank statements and current evidence of the source of the funds that I have been sending to myself.

RIA's partner recently (and for the first time) asked for a signed "origin of funds" form that I filled out and sent back (in a jpeg). I provided the name of the sender, the "family" relationship, and the "purpose" of the funds. I was not required to provide any personal information about the sender (including home address or "ID" number).

OK I see. Well I'm a tourist and don't have DNI. Also I don't know what kind of "proof" I could give them if the money is being sent by a friend from the US. Thanks though.

OK I see. Well I'm a tourist and don't have DNI. Also I don't know what kind of "proof" I could give them if the money is being sent by a friend from the US. Thanks though.

You don't need to have a DNI to receive funds using XOOM or RIA or even have an Argentine bank account. of course you need to be able to pick up he funds in person.

RIA's Argentine partner did not ask for any proof or documentation of the transfer. They just asked for the signed form in which I included the name of the sender and the origin of the funds as his "checking account" without even providing the name of the bank. The request for that form was triggered by a transfer of just under $5000 pesos.

If either XOOM's or RIA's Argentine partner asks for information that either you or the sender can't or won't provide, the sender can cancel the transaction and get their money back quickly.

Back