Living in Buenos Aires versus Santiago - pros and cons

lovetotravel

Registered
I am an American that is considering moving to
Buenos Aires or Santiago. I was wondering what the advantages and
disadvantages of Buenos Aires would be versus Santiago. What are your
thoughts on this?

I have visited both cities but it was a long time ago. Based on my limited knowledge I would say:

Buenos Aires

Pros: more to do, less expensive, cleaner air

Cons: more crime and poverty, lack of natural beauty (no mountains), more pretentious people

Santiago

Pros: higher standard of living, less crime, more natural beauty, better economy, people less pretentious

Cons: not as much to do, less fun, more expensive, more polluted

Let me know what you consider to be the pros and cons of living in Buenos Aires versus Santiago. Thank you for your advice.

lovetotravel, might I ask how long was your last visit both to BA and Santiago?

In 1996 I was in BA for about four days and Santiago for about three days. I am sure things have changed since then.

Santiago:
Pro´s
* Better economy
* Better educated people
* High standard of living
* More respect for law
* Cleaner streets
* Newer cars
* Mountains
* Skiing
Con´s
* More expensive
* More pollution
* Small town menality
* More isolated
BA
Pro´s
* European style city
* Cheaper
* Easier to travel in Latin America
* More to do
Con´s
* Old shitty cars
* Dirty
* Cartoneros
* Many American hippies
* Hookers everywhere

I don´t think by the way the BA is more dangerous then Santiago, I would say it´s about the same.

"Granadaiscool" said:
Santiago:
Pro´s
* Better economy
* Better educated people
* High standard of living
* More respect for law
* Cleaner streets
* Newer cars
* Mountains
* Skiing
Con´s
* More expensive
* More pollution
* Small town menality
* More isolated
BA
Pro´s
* European style city
* Cheaper
* Easier to travel in Latin America
* More to do
Con´s
* Old *bleep*ty cars
* Dirty
* Cartoneros
* Many American hippies
* Hookers everywhere

I don´t think by the way the BA is more dangerous then Santiago, I would say it´s about the same.
One more con to Buenos Aires, granadiscool is here and so are the rest of the expats who love to bash on Argentina eventhough they live here.

Granadaiscool, Thank you for your message. What do you mean when you say European style city? Isn't Santiago European style too? Also what do you mean when you say it is easier to travel in Latin America from BA? Does BA have better flight connections than Santiago? Thank you.

"lovetotravel" said:
Granadaiscool,

Thank you for your message.

What do you mean when you say European style city? Isn't Santiago European style too?

Also what do you mean when you say it is easier to travel in Latin America from BA? Does BA have better flight connections than Santiago?

Thank you.
Santiago is more isolated, really the end of the world. Chileans are more focused on there own country then Argentines. They are more focussed on Europe.
It´s easier to travel to South American cities in BA then it is from SdC. If you stay only a limited time this is probally not important as there is plenty to see in Chile or in Argentina

lovetotravel, there is a presidential election coming up on Sunday; and just like anywhere in the world, there is a "you do not know what might happen" factor after such an important post is filled. The definition of where this country is going will hopefully be presented to the people of Argentina once the next president sits in office sometime in December.
I say, visit BA and Santiago again. There are things that have changed and others that have not been touched by the passage of time, in both countries. What you liked then, you might not find now; so it is worth the investment of visiting again, I dare say, before taking the plunge of moving.
Good luck.

I agree I definitely need to visit again. Just trying to get a sense of some of the big picture differences between BA and Santiago from people that already have lived there.

"Grazie" said:
lovetotravel, there is a presidential election coming up on Sunday; and just like anywhere in the world, there is a "you do not know what might happen" factor after such an important post is filled. The definition of where this country is going will hopefully be presented to the people of Argentina once the next president sits in office sometime in December.
I say, visit BA and Santiago again. There are things that have changed and others that have not been touched by the passage of time, in both countries. What you liked then, you might not find now; so it is worth the investment of visiting again, I dare say, before taking the plunge of moving.
Good luck.
In Chili you will know what happens, everything stays the same.
If you have enough money you can rent a nice place in the mountains near to Santiago, there you probally won´t be bothered by the polution

Back