Living in Olivos

When I met my husband, the Cubans I worked with in Miami told me that Argentina is considered the upper class of the spanish countries. I have found living here that it's not that they don't know the English..they just have no interest in speaking it. But their is a big difference here. When I worked in Miami I made every effort to try to understand what they were asking me in spanish..afterall I wanted them t buy something. Here when I ask for something in spanish sometimes they look at me like I have 3 heads and make no attempt to help me and I have to just walk away. But that's not everyone. Argentina is a wonderful place to live if you let it be. My sister in law lives in Olivos and I like it a lot. Many people think it is boring, just depends on what kind of life you want. You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to live in CF.

HAHAHAHA! You are hilarious! Seriously, if you have lived in the Middle East, Asia and Africa, you must be aware that you are travelling to a foreign country, where of course some people will speak English. And many people won't speak English. Your potential pool of friends will be limited to those that speak English simply because you can communicate with them. I mean, duh.

By the way, I have found the Argentinian people to be absolutely lovely-- certainly not bland, boring, bland, stuck-up, antisocial and racist. I'm amazed by your view of the people here, and you haven't even arrived yet!

Why don't you simply come with an open mind & heart?? Leave your (superficial?!) prejudices at home and try to meet the individuals..

rosebud63 said:
I just find it extremely hard to believe that young educated people in their 20's and 30's aren't going to be interested in friendships with expats. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the world. So basically ALL OVER the world young, educated people are interested in friendships with expats (as I have experienced) EXCEPT those from Argentina? I mean, are Argentines from another planet?

I am a good looking, social, and friendly person in my 20's. I don't believe I'm going to make no local friends.

No, Buenos Aires does not fit in with the rest of the world, which is something a lot of people learn the hard way. You have to understand, Buenos Aires is not like other world capitals such as New York, London, etc. Sure, there are people from many parts of the world in Capital Federal, but things are not as mixed as in other cities. It's not as diverse as you are expecting it to be. Generally speaking, porteños hang out with porteños. Go out at night, walk through the throngs of people in different neighborhoods, and you will not see much mixing. Although since you do not speak Spanish you wouldn't be able to tell the accents apart anyway, I guess. The point it, so many have lived in the city--even in the same neighborhood--since birth. Making new friends is a long process that may involve 10+ random run-ins with friends in common before you are actually invited to something, or before the person you invited to do something actually show up.

I lived with a girl from a northern province who had been in the city for six or so years, working. She had no porteño friends, just acquaintances from work with whom she would occasionally do after offices with every couple of weeks. I didn't make porteño friends after two+ years. (I don't consider expat friends' boyfriends, etc., people I wouldn't pick up the phone and call myself, my own personal friends. They are acquaintances.) My boyfriend, a native Spanish speaker, is in his fifth year in Buenos Aires and has one porteño friend. One. He has some from other provinces, though.

I think you should go in with an open mind, as I did, and do your best. But one year is just not that long (especially with no Spanish!) and sorry to say but I met many porteños, even wealthy ones with cars (a few from Olivos even), who speak next to no English. Buenos Aires is not a city in which the locals are going to go out of their way to accommodate you. People can be very kind and helpful. But it doesn't mean they're going to invite you to their weekend asado right off the bat, or do anything to make your life easier.

You can be as good looking and social as they come. Congrats on the good self esteem by the way; you'll need it. This could certainly bring a lot of male attention, but not necessarily friendship. Straight porteños don't tend to make friends with the opposite sex after high school, so keep that in mind as well if you find yourself with tons of guy "friends" and no female friends. If you wind up with a boyfriend, though, you've hit the jackpot, because if it's serious you will be welcomed into his group and family.

If all else fails, you can always make friends with expats. I just can't believe you have no plans to even try to learn a little Spanish while you're down there. At least then you could take part in conversation exchanges and similar activities.

rosebud63 said:
I am surprised to hear so many comments (not just in this post but others as well) about how Argentines don't necessarily want to make friends with foreigners. I have lived in several other countries where this was not the case at all.

That's because THEY were living outside of their country. When I lived in London it was the same -- most of the English didn't want to make friends with foreigners either. You know why? Because most of the time they only stay for about 18 months and then eff off to their own country. But here in Argentina the English are eager to make friends with anyone, whereas the locals aren't, for the same reason. And Now that I've been here for 7 years I'm the same. Sorry, I don't want to make friends with someone who is here for the shorthaul -- I've got my own life going on and I really don't feel like meeting hanging out with a newcomer who's got no clue. And why invest the energy in a friendship when they're only going to be here for a few months.

And any of my friends who have been here for the longterm are the same -- they're only willing to invest time with people who are actually in it for a good long haul. At this point if I make new friends with expats it's usually ones who are like me -- have the Argentine other half and are making a life here, not just passing through.

Iznogud said:
Too many erroneous assumptions in your posts, also WAY too many "I"s in your text. Might be your llfe, but the Universe is not about You.

Then again the attitude fits in perfectly with the stereotype of Argentines and their egos. Forget olivos OP, you're already a stereotype of a Porteno, you might as well live in Capital *And btw, Olivos and Capital, Not. That. Different.

The original poster would be better off staying locked up in her apartment for the entire year. That way she won't have to interact with the locals.

Yes you will find it difficult to form true friendships with local friends being here for a year and not speaking much spanish, yes many porteños are arrogant (more so than the interior, my Tucumana girlfriend and her friends even attest to this) and yes they are generally not as trusting of strangers and perhaps can be more difficult to trust as well. But, they are also open, passionate, helpful, patient, very funny / vibrant and beautiful looking. And if you make true Porteño, Argentinian friends or "family", they will bend over backwards to help you. This is my own assessment, different people have different experiences and their opinions will vary as a result.

But if I could give you a word of advice if you are trying to make local friends (or just in general), please leave these silly prejudices of Argentines you seem to have acquired at the airport. Understand its not going to be easy but if you are open and make an effort I am sure you will be okay. Try to learn atleast a bit of the language before you come and while you are here, it will improve your experience significantly. Remember you are a foreigner and should not EXPECT they know english or that people will talk english to you even if they do. If you are working with Argentines, that is probably going to be a good opportunity for you as it has been for me.

Like others have said, it may be a bit more tranqui in Olivos, but the people are still Porteños and they will generally be the same. You will have to get a bit further away from CF than Olivos if you are trying to avoid porteños.

Lulu-Kyoko said:
HAHAHAHA! You are hilarious! Seriously, if you have lived in the Middle East, Asia and Africa, you must be aware that you are travelling to a foreign country, where of course some people will speak English. And many people won't speak English. Your potential pool of friends will be limited to those that speak English simply because you can communicate with them. I mean, duh.

By the way, I have found the Argentinian people to be absolutely lovely-- certainly not bland, boring, bland, stuck-up, antisocial and racist. I'm amazed by your view of the people here, and you haven't even arrived yet!

I have only gotten this information about Argentines from the information on this site.

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']No, Buenos Aires does not fit in with the rest of the world, which is something a lot of people learn the hard way. You have to understand, Buenos Aires is not like other world capitals such as New York, London, etc. Sure, there are people from many parts of the world in Capital Federal, but things are not as mixed as in other cities. It's not as diverse as you are expecting it to be. Generally speaking, porteños hang out with porteños. Go out at night, walk through the throngs of people in different neighborhoods, and you will not see much mixing. Although since you do not speak Spanish you wouldn't be able to tell the accents apart anyway, I guess. The point it, so many have lived in the city--even in the same neighborhood--since birth. Making new friends is a long process that may involve 10+ random run-ins with friends in common before you are actually invited to something, or before the person you invited to do something actually show up.

I lived with a girl from a northern province who had been in the city for six or so years, working. She had no porteño friends, just acquaintances from work with whom she would occasionally do after offices with every couple of weeks. I didn't make porteño friends after two+ years. (I don't consider expat friends' boyfriends, etc., people I wouldn't pick up the phone and call myself, my own personal friends. They are acquaintances.) My boyfriend, a native Spanish speaker, is in his fifth year in Buenos Aires and has one porteño friend. One. He has some from other provinces, though.

I think you should go in with an open mind, as I did, and do your best. But one year is just not that long (especially with no Spanish!) and sorry to say but I met many porteños, even wealthy ones with cars (a few from Olivos even), who speak next to no English. Buenos Aires is not a city in which the locals are going to go out of their way to accommodate you. People can be very kind and helpful. But it doesn't mean they're going to invite you to their weekend asado right off the bat, or do anything to make your life easier.

You can be as good looking and social as they come. Congrats on the good self esteem by the way; you'll need it. This could certainly bring a lot of male attention, but not necessarily friendship. Straight porteños don't tend to make friends with the opposite sex after high school, so keep that in mind as well if you find yourself with tons of guy "friends" and no female friends. If you wind up with a boyfriend, though, you've hit the jackpot, because if it's serious you will be welcomed into his group and family.

If all else fails, you can always make friends with expats. I just can't believe you have no plans to even try to learn a little Spanish while you're down there. At least then you could take part in conversation exchanges and similar activities.[/QUOTE]

THIS is the kind of information that is actually helpful. I thought that this website was to help each other out, not attack each other. A lot of people with rage on this forum.

Back