Living in Olivos

rosebud63

Registered
I am a single American female in my mid 20's coming to live and work in Olivos.

Can someone tell me a little bit of what it's like to live here?

ie,
-safety
-social opportunities (is it easy to meet people)
-single scene
-how easy it is to get to the city center
-what kinds of people live here?

I actually thought I may enjoy living in an area a little outside of the city center as it seems like it may be a little stuffy and superficial with the native "portenos" and all their plastic surgery.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to mingle and make friends with the locals, but here in the US I don't go for the superficial crows, so why would I there? I would just like to meet and befriend some very nice and friendly Argentines and expats my age. Is it an easy place to do this?

Also, I work out a lot. Are there nice gyms in Olivos? Thanks!

Hola

How are you?? my name is Sebastián im from Argentina and im living in olivos the place is perfect!!

i need to learn english soo if you want i can teach you spanish and you english!

olivos , vicente lopez, and san isidro are beatiful pleaces to be honest the bes t pleace in bs as is olivos and vicente lopez!

saludos!!

Sebastián.

rosebud63 said:
I am a single American female in my mid 20's coming to live and work in Olivos.

Can someone tell me a little bit of what it's like to live here?

ie,
-safety
-social opportunities (is it easy to meet people)
-single scene
-how easy it is to get to the city center
-what kinds of people live here?

I actually thought I may enjoy living in an area a little outside of the city center as it seems like it may be a little stuffy and superficial with the native "portenos" and all their plastic surgery.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to mingle and make friends with the locals, but here in the US I don't go for the superficial crows, so why would I there? I would just like to meet and befriend some very nice and friendly Argentines and expats my age. Is it an easy place to do this?

Also, I work out a lot. Are there nice gyms in Olivos? Thanks!

PS- 2 more things:
1. I don't know Spanish
2. How far and accessible is it from the city center?

Thank you, Sebastian. Very Sweet : )
That sounds like a great idea for when I come!

Hi rosebud63
i am living as well in Olivos and I can confirm Sebastian's feedback. Really nice area. Citycenter is approx. 20 minutes by train.
The area is growing and there are lots of new buildings, whereas many apartments are available. Most new buildings have a gym, pool,... Included.
However, the area is great for families. If you want to go out a lot, Olivos has limited offer.

Hope this helps.

Saludos de Olivos

Also, I'm hearing more about a "porteno" attitude. I don't need any of that. In Olivos is there also a "porteno" attitude or is that mostly in the city center?

rosebud63 said:
Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to mingle and make friends with the locals, but here in the US I don't go for the superficial crows, so why would I there?

You'll have a much easier time making friends if you leave that attitude at home.

Olivos is a very pleasant area of GBA. I'm sure you will like it.
Life is a little slower than in CF, which can't be bad.
It's not Utopia, but like La Lucila and Martinez, it has a sort of village atmosphere away from the big avenues like Maipu and Santa Fe.
There are also quite a few Brits and Americans out here too as well as a fairly well established Anglo Arg community.

rosebud63 said:

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to mingle and make friends with the locals, but here in the US I don't go for the superficial crows, so why would I there?

I googled "superficial crows" and there were no results whatsoever that applied to the combination of those two words. Perhaps you could enlighten us with your definition of the expression.

Your best chance of making friends in Argentina will be at work as well as this website. Portenos and Argentines in general aren't very interested in making friends or mingling with foreigners who will inly be here a short time, especially if they don't speak "Spanish".

PS: Portenos aren't the only ones who have had "plastic" surgery in Argentina.

And I hope you never need or want to have any, especially if it's re-constructive.

(I've had both elective and re-constructive procedures.)

Back