Living in Olivos

"Of course I think I should make an effort with Spanish but the bottom line is- I'm not going to be fluent or near fluent within a few months of when I'm there."

How does this equal not making an effort with Spanish? Once again, I'm not going to justify myself to anyone on here, especially when you're not reading what I'm actually writing.
If you want to be hateful, go ahead but you're only doing it for yourself, it's not helping anybody.

What is wrong with you people?? This is the most vicious blog I have ever read. And not because of the OP, because of the responses to the OP.
Rosebud is right- we ARE supposed to be helping each other- what is with all the hate and attitude? So what- she made some assumptions. (And to be quite honest, they were formed from things written on the website about Argentinians).
Don't you all remember when you first moved to Argentina? Did you not have any questions? Did you have no assumptions? Did you speak perfect Spanish?
You have not only made a bad impression of Argentinians, but also of the expat community in BA.
My husband just got done reading this and wanted to let you guys know you sound like "mean girls."

rosebud63 said:
I thought that this website was to help each other out, not attack each other. A lot of people with rage on this forum.

If you think this thread displays any degree of rage just wait until you are actually here and discover the realities of being a foreigner who doesn't speak much Spanish in Argentina and doesn't want to have anything to do with superficial crowds, especially portenos and all their plastic surgery.

rosebud63 said:
If you want to be hateful, go ahead but you're only doing it for yourself, it's not helping anybody.

If you think this thread displays any degree of hate, just wait until you are actually here and discover the realities of being a foreigner who doesn't speak much Spanish in Argentina and doesn't want to have anything to do with superficial crowds, especially portenos and all their plastic surgery.

With the exception of the facetious suggestion that you stay in your apartment the entire year (a post that neither displayed rage or hate), I think you've been given some very good and genuinely sincere advice in this thread form individuals who actually live in Argentina. Perhaps you've been perceived as just a bit snotty and somewhat stubborn as you continue to reject what others have written, possibly because you don't want to believe what they have to say. I don't think anyone in this thread has displayed any rage or hate.

Rosebud, you dont need to be "fluent" to communicate! What is fluency anyway? Its been debated among academics for years! I have been here 10 months, came with basically NO spanish but am now upper intermediate. Studied 15 hours a week for first 6 weeks, and was having basic conversations after that. Since I can now speak with my girlfriend and colleagues in spanish, my spanish has improved heaps and I am only taking 1.5 hrs of classes a week. And I can tell you, I dont think I have a talent for languages!

My point is, why not set learning Spanish try and take some before you come (even if not classes, there is plenty of audio and online courses avauilable) and when you get here continue taking classes. Once you can have a basic convo (which doesnt take that long) you can really improve. The Argentines are actually relatively patient IMO (younger generation particularly) with people tryign to speak the language. Especially if your keen to go out to the bars / boliches and really get involved socially, you may / may not find life long friends but I am sure you will find locals to hang out with.

You may not get to "fluency", but you will well and truly be able to communicate and your Spanish is likely to be better than most peoples english here! It will make your experience so much better overall.

A comment on the plastic surgery / superficiality, yes Argentines are superficial, but IMO no more than Aust, NZ, USA, Europe. But, they are more open about it here. The girls are very hygiene conscious and concerned with their appearance. But they are much more open, and likely to admit they are that way.

Glad to see this getting back on topic.
My personal view is that the single most important item in your arsenal for living in BA is a sense of humour.
As far as the Spanish is concerned, an open mind and ears like radar are very helpful as well as the ability to use osmosis as a means of learning. Talking Spanish with a loved one or someone you care about in a special way is where the osmosis comes in handy.
One day it just seems to click.
This is not directed at the OP, they are simply my observations based on personal experience.
Enjoy the remains of the day. :)

trennod said:
Europe. But, they are more open about it here. The girls are very hygiene conscious and concerned with their appearance. But they are much more open, and likely to admit they are that way.
Yes they are and looks pretty good on them. However, after you open the book the pages look a little empty. But then.....this page looks a little empty too. She will feel right at home.

The people aren't that bad. :) There's friendly and social types... my brother-in-law made friends with a few Americans who were here to study and brought them to the house for an asado. So it's not impossible, but they did speak Spanish or at least made the effort to.

Argentines put a lot of emphasis on family and childhood/university friends. When they go out, they're not really looking to make more friends - just have fun with the ones they've got, or try to score a date. They don't really feel a need to "branch out" and have hundreds of random friends.

And don't overestimate Argentines' command of the English language. :p While there's some people that speak it rather well, many more don't speak a word even if they studied it in school. How much do you remember of your foreign language class in high school? :rolleyes:

If you want to make friends you should join a club, take a class, or do something where you see the same people everyday (or every week) and can get to know them. :) Having a common interest should help kick-start a friendship.

There are obnoxious people here -- just like there are obnoxious people anywhere -- but I have actually found most Argentines to be warm, friendly, well-read, and in possession of a wicked sense of humor. Just be prepared for limited social prospects if you cannot communicate in Spanish. Yes, some Argentines are fluent in English, but many do not have the speaking skills or stamina necessary to express themselves articulately or carry on long conversations (and honestly, some just don't have the ganas... think about it, after a long day of work, family, commuting, etc, all anyone wants to do is blow off steam and relax. Would you rather do that in your native tongue or in a second language that requires mental effort?)

ghost said:
Yes they are and looks pretty good on them. However, after you open the book the pages look a little empty. But then.....this page looks a little empty too. She will feel right at home.

"Ghost"- who are you talking to?? I asked a question in the post and it would be normal and natural to respond to the OP. Why are you referencing "she?" Your comment was not helpful. This is a forum where someone posts a comment or question and gets feedback from others. It's not a 7th grade hallway, "ghost."

AND, you obviously like the superficial girls but you are trying to insult me because you ASSUME I'm the same? Yeah, that's not weird or hypocritical.

rosebud63 said:
"Ghost"- who are you talking to?? I asked a question in the post and it would be normal and natural to respond to the OP. Why are you referencing "she?" Your comment was not helpful. This is a forum where someone posts a comment or question and gets feedback from others. It's not a 7th grade hallway, "ghost."

AND, you obviously like the superficial girls but you are trying to insult me because you ASSUME I'm the same? Yeah, that's not weird or hypocritical.
You came here and asked some questions and proceeded to answer your own questions and then to argue with honest suggestions made by earnest people.
"Yeah, that's not weird or hypocritical"
Just stick with your original plan and have a rewarding stay.

Back