Living in Olivos

Ahhh, who was i saying that this forum is only useful for a laugh these days !

Argentina sits in an almost exclusively spanish speaking land mass, from the south pole (almost) to Mexico. In economic and cultural terms that means that there are less 'drivers' to learning other languages.

It's not like europe, or the Middle East where there is no common language and English becomes more of a necessity. It's not that people are ignorant or stupid, it's just that by necessity they haven't had to speak English. I don't think anyone learns English so they can chat to US, Aus or UK visitors ! They learn it through economic or cultural necessity. It'd be very naive to think otherwise.

I'm saying the following for your own benefit. If you come here with an attitude that people should speak English to you, that they are ignorant or cold because they don't, you are going to have a pretty negative experience' I wouldn't turn up anywhere with preconceptions about how the locals will behave amd to be honest i wouldn't rad too much into the opinions you pick up here.

Come with an open mind, a flexible attitude and you'll get out what you put in. Turn up with negative sentiment, suspicion and feelings of superiority then all those feelings will manifest themselves in your experience in BA.

I think there is a big difference between making friends and making accquaintances here. Heck, there are 2 separate words - "amigos" and "conocidos" Friendship is something serious here and as people have mentioned already, most porteños and long-term expats are not usually in the market for new friends, esp not someone that is here in the short-term.

In a year, chances are, the only thing you'll have will be conocidos. That being said, you will probably not have issues meeting people to go out and have a drink with after work and what not. You'll probably have a better opportunity to meet people if you're working in a decent-sized office.

And as syngirl mentioned - Olivos is basically Capital Federal. The only difference IMO, is that Olivos is a lot more houses and family-oriented. It might be a bit of a pain/and or expensive to meet up with people in Palermo or wherever for a night out, unless you have a car.

Hi Rosebud,

Im in my twenties, local, bilingual, and live in Olivos with my bf. The neighborhood is really nice, it is safe, quieter than downtown but with good transport connections (in BA terms of course) and mostly keeps its friendly nighborhoody feel that has been lost in some more upscale places in Zona Norte such as Martinez. I personally love living here. It is true that there is not a big nightlife scene however there are one or two cool hidden places and, if money is not an issue, going out in Palermo, which is a nightlife hotspot, shouldnt be a problem.
There are plenty of gyms in the area, and the presidential residency in Olivos is where many of us run. Its not the best place in the world for this but it serves its purpose.

As many have noted, locals tend to have long term friends from childhood and dont branch out much, something I dont like at all, probably due to the fact that I lived abroad in many countries and enjoy variety :). The expat scene for people in their twenties is pretty active as far as I know, allthough not necesarily in Olivos.

When are you arriving in BA? Id be happy to meet up with you and show you around the neighborhood and give you a few city pointers.

Back