local fishes

zapatosgoma said:
Also keep in mind provenance. Some are from sea, and they will have far less fat content than river fish. Mero, corvina, caballa, besugo are from sea. Bagre, pati, surubi, pacu, dorado are all from river. These later are great for grilling, and I have been in carritos near Rosario where they were the thing to order.

What or where is carritos. I will be near Rosario tomorrow andwould love a good fish lunch. Thanks.

Fabe said:
casper seems to beon crack .....

The messiah has arrived it seems..in the form of heath benefits postings for us ingenues...

compdispo said:
And so tilapia, too. :)

My father used to get Tilapia all the time in the States, until we saw this article from the New York Times.

Another Side of Tilapia, the Perfect Factory Fish
JP-TALAPIA-1-articleLarge.jpg

...Farmed tilapia is promoted as good for your health and for the environment at a time when many marine stocks have been seriously depleted. “Did you know the American Heart Association recommends eating fish twice a week?” asks the industry Web site, abouttilapia.com. But tilapia has both nutritional and environmental drawbacks.

Compared with other fish, farmed tilapia contains relatively small amounts of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids, the fish oils that are the main reasons doctors recommend eating fish frequently; salmon has more than 10 times the amount of tilapia. Also, farmed tilapia contains a less healthful mix of fatty acids because the fish are fed corn and soy instead of lake plants and algae, the diet of wild tilapia.

“It may look like fish and taste like fish but does not have the benefits — it may be detrimental,” said Dr. Floyd Chilton, a professor of physiology and pharmacology at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center who specializes in fish lipids...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?_r=1&hp

I remember tilapia all of a sudden being pushed in many restaurants and at the supermarket. Had no idea. What about Basa, ? same phenomenon , apeared in the market al of a sudden. I read that tilapia is farmed in china.

I'm so glad that someone posted this!! As a marine environmental science major, I would be careful as to where you get your bottom feeding animals ie catfish, crabs etc as well as filterfeeders - clams, muscles etc. As they eat everything and anything that falls to the bottom of the water and filter feeders are notorious for storing high levels of PCB's which are neurotoxins (was a big problem in the Hudson river). My college professor stressed the importance of watching how much fish/bivalves you eat and how to avoid PCB's. She said if your lips start tingling stop eating. Salmon and other preditory fish are also an issue as they eat other fish that may/not have consumed lipophilic toxins like mercury. Lipophilic toxins are poisions that "like" fat so they remain stored there and build up as a Salmon keeps eating smaller fish, their mercury levels get higher. It seems to be the best way to get around this is to ask the fish vendors where the product comes from. I wouldn't want to eat a fish that was caught off of the pier in Nunez just as I wouldn't eat a fish from the East River.

I'm not much of a fish fan, but I learned of a new fish last week. :)

Lenguado = Sole fish (looks similar to a flounder)

Considering that up to 25% of fish are mislabeled in the US (and it wouldn't surprise me if they were mislabeled here as well), it's often not certain what you're getting unless you really know fish! ;)

i think mislabling has to do with localities , ,there are many names for fish. i usualy translate its latin clasification

Back