local fishes

Fabe said:
i think mislabling has to do with localities , ,there are many names for fish. i usualy translate its latin clasification

No, often times not.

There was a study done in the States (NYC maybe) recently that reported as much as 50% of the fish purchased at restaurants wasn't really the fish the restaurants claimed they were.

Unless it's raw tuna, or salmon rosada... it's easy to pass fish off as something different, because really most people have no clue what a particular fish looks like.

Now if you go to Chinatown and see the thing whole, displayed on ice, you have a better idea of what the fish looks like. And then you can always look it up.

Ohh.I didn't know this fact about tilapia. Thank you for the information and tilapia still tastes good.

I've tried a couple local fish. Pez de Angel was a very tasty mild fish which was perfect for pan frying with salt, pepper, EVOO, lemon juice. I bought another delicious mild white fish from the pescadoria last night. Unfortunately, my method of ordering is to say "uno de esto" which was successful in getting myself fed but now I don't know the name of the fish! I believe it was Besugo.

Back