Locksmith ripoff? Cerrajero malo?

sam3g

Registered
Hello all,

I recently moved into my Argentine girlfriends small apartment in Palermo. I had stayed there before but I never really realized how long I'd be in this city.

About a week ago, the skeleton key (normal type here) ceased to function for the door. The problem was that we were locked INSIDE the apartment. So we called a local cerrajero (locksmith) to come get us out. We asked how much it would cost and they mumbled something about 50 peso downpayment (my girlfriend called). We threw the keys off the balcony and after no more than 3 minutes of working he opened the door for us. The lock worked perfectly fine afterward, we have no idea why.

THIS IS THE BEST PART.

He charged us 800 PESOS for this. He even showed us his 'payment sheet' and 'former receipts' of customers that had paid more. It was supposedly double because it was a friday night.

That night when I went to grab beer and told a couple of older men what had happened. They were furious. They told me I needed to file a complaint with the Defensa de Consumidores or something.

I feel completely ripped off. A locksmith in the US would NOT cost $200USD. What should I do?:mad: I feel stupid for paying the guy but in the moment we were so tired and grateful to be let out. Is this a case of supply and demand or just a plain scam?

-Sam

Update: While leaving for a very important interview today the same thing happened. After 10 straight minutes of frantically twisting the key it opened. Should have tried longer last time!

How did you find this locksmith in the first place?

I know someone who paid $1200 pesos on a Friday night after being quoted $30 pesos on the phone "for the trip" but that the labor would be extra. The guy (reported to be small and skinny) charged "triple" the "regular" rate because it was a Friday night.

That indivdiual was locked outsdie of his apartment and got the locksmith's number from a sticker on the metal security gate in front of his insurance agent's office which was less than two blocks from his apartment. Had he called the insurance company's 24 hour line or his agent it would have cost zero. He actually called his insurance company after the locksmith presented him with the outrageous bill and they told him to pay, but he eventually only got a check from them for $500 pesos.

I strongly suggest you spray the lock with graphite or even change it.

Happened to me once in a specific situation, a saturday night 9pm, I needed to have the main lock (ordinary style) changed right now.

That was in 2009. I was quoted maybe 350 pesos total with the lock (would be 500 today with the inflation). I said ok. The guy came over, bad intuition, changed the lock and finally wanted to get paid twice due to the fact it was saturday night.

In this case, you need to act like an Argentinean, to act in a Latin way, and try to escape your own idiosyncracy/the own "codes" from your own country : that means starting to argue, eventually loud, eventually talking too much until you reach an intermediate point.

So we argued : The guy told me "ok, I'll skip the IVA then", I replied "But look, on your invoice, it shows you are under the monotributo regim hence no IVA applies", etc etc.

Finally I paid more (unhappy) but less than he expected. That's life.

Next time, refuse to pay, threaten to call the police, whatever.

Charging double is normal (if I'm right) but charging 400 pesos just for opening the door is a joke (at most it should be 80/150).

What should you do? Learn the lesson, move on and try to adapt yourself better to the local habits/culture (we all try to do and I got scammed many times also)

You have the right to contact the ombusdman, or defensoria del consumidor. You can contact the ombudsman for Capital Federal or the ombudsman for Argentina, both offices are in Buenos Aires.

Recently I had to contact the ombudsman. I called the Municipalidad, phone number 147, they gave me a call fre phone number specific for the ombudsman, I called, they told me what to bring to the CGP (Centro de Gestion y Participacion) that belongs to me based on my zip code. I went to the CGP, they made an appointment for a day in the next three weeks with the official mediator and the other parts involved in the issue. The problem was resolved before the three weeks passed. My lawyer told me that the ombudsman's office works very well, and the businesses run when they get a letter from the ombudsman. They can get sanctions from the Municipalidad.

You should tell them to go and fuck themselves. But the problem is that they are criminals with the knowledge how to break in to your place. So having a reputable cerradura place is key.

I've been in a similar situation, but not anywhere near what you paid. Sorry to hear, I can imagine how frustrating it must be.

And get a new lock, they sell them cheap at Easy. Getting a new lock is always a good idea from a security point of view as well, since you don't know who might have a copy.

xibeca said:
You should tell them to go and fuck themselves. But the problem is that they are criminals with the knowledge how to break in to your place. So having a reputable cerradura place is key.

I've been in a similar situation, but not anywhere near what you paid. Sorry to hear, I can imagine how frustrating it must be.

And get a new lock, they sell them cheap at Easy. Getting a new lock is always a good idea from a security point of view as well, since you don't know who might have a copy.

Well, I think they have much better to do than breaking into your place --> scamming the next person.

that's their modus operandi

The other day my coworker was locked out of the office and had to pay $150 for the door to get unlocked. You got ripped off BIG TIME, unfortunately.

French jurist said:
Well, I think they have much better to do than breaking into your place --> scamming the next person.

that's their modus operandi

One can only hope. I wasn't willing to risk it. But for 800 I probably would.

Whilst I would NEVER pay 1300 to get into the house I have happily coughed up 100 pesos for 30 secs work after my stepson left the keys in the door. Friday night 8pm, and the guy appeared to help in 15 minutes..impeccable service, would I find someone in NI to do the ame at the same hour for 20 Uk pounds?

What his fast entrance taught me was how flimsy my security was - he got in by shaking the door and sliding plastic behind the lock..and hence the house is more secure, this guy is on speed dial and I disagree wholeheartedly that 100 pesos is a lot to pay for tis type of ooo service.

Back