Mc Inflation and or Mc Ripoff?

fred mertz

Registered
Yesterday,on a trip to Easy-Jumbo in Palermo, I passed the McDonalds in the Mall. As a practising Vegetarian, I never eat in these restaurants. I guess I was curious to see their prices. $39.99, was the price of a "menu". Now, as a vegetarian, I'm worried. Surely, with prices, like these, many people will give up McD's and meat. Thus, produce prices will rise.

Funny when McDonalds here is more expensive than the golden arches in the US....

fred mertz said:
Surely, with prices, like these, many people will give up McD's and meat. Thus, produce prices will rise.

Agreed that prices are ridiculous, the fact that they call 7.50pesos "Pequeños Precios", when it's nearly double our dollar menu, really grinds my gears. However, I'll never be able to give up meat, prices be-damned. The good thing is the great fresh burgers you can get elsewhere, like at the Office in las cañitas or The Embers in Martinez (http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/The-Embers-Snack-Bar-961). Both have amazing American fare for cheaper than the McCombos. Sadly, I´ll be saving my McNifica splurges for hangovers.

While I am not a fan of McDonald's (except for it's burnt, watery coffee) the reason for the higher prices is the following:

All persons employed "en blanco" in Argentina in retail stores belong to the Retail Employees Union, known as SEC (Sindicato de Empleados de Comercio). They get a monthly salary, plus full health benefits, unlimited sick days, a yearly bonus equivalent to a month's salary, paid study days (if they are in school), overtime pay, and if they are fired paid an indemnization of 1 months salary for each year they have worked for the company. These higher costs are the reason why generally all retail prices are higher in Argentina. McDonalds employees in the USA get a total of approximately $8 U$S per hour, no health benefits, no vacation pay, no bonus, just the $8 per hour and that is hard if not impossible to live on if you don't live at home with your parents and have 0 expenses.

irina said:
Agreed that prices are ridiculous, the fact that they call 7.50pesos "Pequeños Precios", when it's nearly double our dollar menu, really grinds my gears. However, I'll never be able to give up meat, prices be-damned. The good thing is the great fresh burgers you can get elsewhere, like at the Office in las cañitas or The Embers in Martinez (http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/The-Embers-Snack-Bar-961). Both have amazing American fare for cheaper than the McCombos. Sadly, I´ll be saving my McNifica splurges for hangovers.

How do you compare Embers to Carlitos?

I was eating fairly regurally at Carlitos but the price of the promo 1(Coke, burger and fries) went up from 32 to 42 peso in about a year and the burgers became a lot smaller as well. Probally not going to eat there again....

The funniest part is that the big mac is not listed on the menu, but does exist and the combo is for 21 pesos. The quarter pounder combo is roughly 50% higher at 32 pesos.

Rumor has it that the government asked them to take it off and keep the prices low to artificially adjust the Bic Mac Index.

Davidglen77 said:
While I am not a fan of McDonald's (except for it's burnt, watery coffee) the reason for the higher prices is the following:

All persons employed "en blanco" in Argentina in retail stores belong to the Retail Employees Union, known as SEC (Sindicato de Empleados de Comercio). They get a monthly salary, plus full health benefits, unlimited sick days, a yearly bonus equivalent to a month's salary, paid study days (if they are in school), overtime pay, and if they are fired paid an indemnization of 1 months salary for each year they have worked for the company. These higher costs are the reason why generally all retail prices are higher in Argentina. McDonalds employees in the USA get a total of approximately $8 U$S per hour, no health benefits, no vacation pay, no bonus, just the $8 per hour and that is hard if not impossible to live on if you don't live at home with your parents and have 0 expenses.

People working in a Mac are all like 18-22 years old and probally work at Mac besides there study.

Unions in this case got nothing to do with high prices

I haven't tried the local big mac yet - must add that to my list :)

Back