Long term effects on the Argentinian Culture due to Covid 19

perry

Registered
Today I saw on television that they are bringing in a new law regarding the sharing of mate between people . If this is the case it seems that it will never be reversed and a beautiful part of the Argentinian culture will cease to exist . The same will happen to Milongas and argentinian tango with its very close personal contact . Not to mention the warm greetings etc etc .

I fear the long term effects on the warm latin cultures of this new social distancing as even if the disease is controlled the laws and conditioning will not,. Am I correct in y analysis or do people believe that in one year societies in Latin America will go back to normal ?

Today I saw on television that they are bringing in a new law regarding the sharing of mate between people . If this is the case it seems that it will never be reversed and a beautiful part of the Argentinian culture will cease to exist . The same will happen to Milongas and argentinian tango with its very close personal contact . Not to mention the warm greetings etc etc .

I fear the long term effects on the warm latin cultures of this new social distancing as even if the disease is controlled the laws and conditioning will not,. Am I correct in y analysis or do people believe that in one year societies in Latin America will go back to normal ?
I was talking about this with my wife. I just don't see a scenario where she and her family stop kissing and hugging when they greet each other, and stop sharing mate... behind closed doors. That's not true, I do see a scenario. If COVID-19 starts wiping out multitudes of people then sheer fear will take over. But I don't think any law will be able to strip some parts of the culture. In public maybe, but even then I have my doubts, especially when a vaccine is developed. I wonder if the lawmakers will stop having mate with their family and friends.

If a vaccine arrives and the threat is under control, why wouldn't social customs go back to normal? I think society in general will have a heightened sense of hygiene and hopefully we'll be better prepared for the next outbreak, but I can't imagine a permanent cease of warm greetings, tango and other communal customs.

Maybe that's just my hope and that's clouding my judgement.

I think certain manifestations of tango (the music, the language) will survive, but for those of us who loved the dance aspect, we should not expect that milongas to return for a very long time, and not in the form we new and loved. By the time the virus is no longer circulating and the goverment gives permission for people to come together in large intimate groups, many of the milonga venues will have gone broke, the teachers will have started earning a living from other dance forms (or other activities altogether), and some of the organizers, and, of course, many older dancers will not have made it through the pandemic. As the pandemic will only worsen the economic crisis, local people will have even less descretionary funds to spend at milongas. And tango in the rest of the world will have suffered a similar decline for the same reasons, meaning there will be few people from North America and Europe coming here to help the local scene recover.

People who was in tango for 10 years will survive but this is a knockout to new generations of tango dancers.

Back