Long Term Rental

viviana456 said:
Hola raestar:
Is not possible get a regular rent (2 years contract) if you have not DNI (argentine ID) and requirements are stricts about warranties, etc.
Your option is a temporary rent, you know this kind of rent are more expensive, within your budget you can find a studio.
There are a lot of websites to search.

My English is basic sorry!
Good luck!
Viviana

I think you are seriously clueless ;)

so what is a decent rate then? Just curious.
I saw one poster in this thread says he pays $900 for 2-bed in Belgrano. I pay the same (it includes all bills + maid) for a 2-bed PH in Palermo viejo and it has a massive private terrace and came furnished. I only signed for 3 months so i'm hoping to negotiate with the landlord to get the price down if we sign for another year or so. Am I paying too much?

It looks like there are good deals if you go very long term, unfurnished - but then furniture here seems fairly expensive!

viviana456 said:
What do you mean exactly?
First off I apologise if I sounded mean before. I am local and married to an expat. WE had no problem finding a two year lease. You see, some landlords would rather have a larger sum of cash upfront to supply the garantia: there is no law that says that a rental lease must include a garantia or how payments are performed: it is a contract between privates so they can agree ojn anything. A real garantia can be perfect at teh time of contract signing, but then can be sold ( for whatever reason, then if anything happens the landlord wouldn´t be covered at all ). Most experienced landlords know this, so many will happily take 6 months upfront, with no garantia and renew your contract every six months, see in my case the contract says that the landlord commits to four consecutive renewals ( that is two years ) What I am trying to say is that there is always a way around if you have some cash handy. Now you really must have a good command of the language ( or engage a friend into helping you ) but I am sure that most expats could rent a 1 br apartment, unfurnished, for two years for +/- 450usd a month ( well to start you will have to tempt the landlord and pay a one month deposit plus six months rent, but it is perfectly doable if you have some savings ) I know of Argentines that rent using this modality as well.

I'm afraid there are no rents, even for Argentines, in the $300-400 price range in Recoleta or anywhere in Barrio Norte that I know of. My experience is that the gap between what expats pay and Argentines pay has closed a good deal. If you want to rent for that price you'll have to go far from the expat protection zone (Recoleta/Barrio Norte/San Telmo/Palermo/Zona Norte) and it won't be easy without a DNI and guarantors.

sergio said:
I'm afraid there are no rents, even for Argentines, in the $300-400 price range in Recoleta or anywhere in Barrio Norte that I know of. My experience is that the gap between what expats pay and Argentines pay has closed a good deal. If you want to rent for that price you'll have to go far from the expat protection zone (Recoleta/Barrio Norte/San Telmo/Palermo/Zona Norte) and it won't be easy without a DNI and guarantors.

I don´t agree with you Sergio, also in the coming months you will have hundreds of rentals and the conditions will be a lot better for tenants.

Nikad, fewer tourists are coming and the temporary rental market is going to suffer. I predict that owners of temporary rentals will start looking for local renters who rent for the normal 2 year terms. They will have to provide guarantors in almost all cases. Local rents, especially in the nice parts of town, are already high for Porteños. They may come down a little but I doubt that they will crash. I believe that established areas like Recoleta will maintain their prices while trendy places like San Telmo and Palermo may see a greater decline in rent prices. Maybe some others involved in the real estate industry have some observations on this.

nikad said:
First off I apologise if I sounded mean before. I am local and married to an expat. WE had no problem finding a two year lease. You see, some landlords would rather have a larger sum of cash upfront to supply the garantia: there is no law that says that a rental lease must include a garantia or how payments are performed: it is a contract between privates so they can agree ojn anything. A real garantia can be perfect at teh time of contract signing, but then can be sold ( for whatever reason, then if anything happens the landlord wouldn´t be covered at all ). Most experienced landlords know this, so many will happily take 6 months upfront, with no garantia and renew your contract every six months, see in my case the contract says that the landlord commits to four consecutive renewals ( that is two years ) What I am trying to say is that there is always a way around if you have some cash handy. Now you really must have a good command of the language ( or engage a friend into helping you ) but I am sure that most expats could rent a 1 br apartment, unfurnished, for two years for +/- 450usd a month ( well to start you will have to tempt the landlord and pay a one month deposit plus six months rent, but it is perfectly doable if you have some savings ) I know of Argentines that rent using this modality as well.
Hola Soy Argentina también y conozco muy bien el tema de los alquileres, por eso te comentaba que es casi imposible alquilar un deparamento de ese tamaño y ese precio en la zona que buscas. Ojalá puedas conseguirlo en la forma que planteas con varios meses por adelantado sin el requisito de presentar garantía.
Mucha suerte!!!
Viviana

viviana456 said:
Hola Soy Argentina también y conozco muy bien el tema de los alquileres, por eso te comentaba que es casi imposible alquilar un deparamento de ese tamaño y ese precio en la zona que buscas. Ojalá puedas conseguirlo en la forma que planteas con varios meses por adelantado sin el requisito de presentar garantía.
Mucha suerte!!!
Viviana
Viviana,
Hace mas de 4 años que alquilo de esta forma :)

I think all viviana is saying is that 2 year rentals aren't readily available to tourists.

Which is true. Without a garantia things are a lot trickier, although not impossible. My company stood mine, you can pay vast sums in advance or if you have friends with property they can help. Its trickier than a booking a temporary rental at any rate.

Back