Long Term Rentals

Sarita i am renting a 2 bedroom 140 mts in Recoleta (nicest location in the city) Libertad and Alvear.

We are asking 12000 pesos or 1100 dollars. Is unfurnished. Frech building. Please see photos in Classifieds real estate of this site
Thanks,
Magdalena
if you pay 1100us for an unfurnished apt, do you pay expenses ? For big apt like that on Libertad, the expense can be a few thousand pesos easily.
So you are really paying 2000us for an unfurnished apt ? Which is still not bad. But you can get a similar furnished apt for 2k too.

Kate101, I'm just curious - how long term can these contracts be with the company you are talking about? If I had seen this post before I made the deal on my new apartment I would have definitely contacted you! I have a friend who is looking for a place and has almost no possibiity to find a guarantee.

For an unfurnished apartment, I'd think owners would have to be willing to lease it for a minimum of two years (in my experienced opinion) - having moved many times here in BA, the thought of anything less than two years and taking all my furniture and appliances with me every 6-9 months or even a year would be horrible.

if you pay 1100us for an unfurnished apt, do you pay expenses ? For big apt like that on Libertad, the expense can be a few thousand pesos easily.
So you are really paying 2000us for an unfurnished apt ? Which is still not bad. But you can get a similar furnished apt for 2k too.

$1100 USD + (let's say) $3000 pesos is actually only about $1400 USD (really less, and getting "lesser" because of the value of the peso, for the expenses, related to dollar). $2000 USD monthly on a base rent of $1100 USD would be a huge exageration it seems to me...

I have to be out of my apartment at the end of April and am about to sign a deal for an apartment on Quintana near the corner of Perera, for $1100 USD/month ($12000 pesos first year, but we're making the deal in dollars so the price won't rise for me in the second year). 175 square meters, 4 bedrooms, really a beautiful place, building expenses included, just have to pay the local service taxes (around $1000 pesos a month). It's unfurnished, although the owners are leaving us some of their furniture - their mother died a few years ago and they are ready to rent out the apartment, but didn't have a place to put a lot of the furniture. It was a special deal, no doubt, and now I can have a sofa in the living room AND in my office (my office will be that big!).

I lucked out and found owners that were willing to accept a guarantee on a place in Mar Del Plata (we have an Argentine friend whose parents own a beach house down there). I have been in my current apartment for 4 years, it would be nice to make that the minimum always!

After having spent the last month and a half searching for an apartment, seems like now is a good time to find a new place if one was so willing. Lots of deals to be made.

On a side note, I found this really cool place near Plaza Italia on Santa Fe that was a house (an actual house) in the middle of the block, surrounded by apartment buildings and accessible via a long hallway that stretched from Santa Fe to the center of the block. There were some drawbacks, but it was the house of the architect that had designed most of the buildings on that block. $10000 pesos a month, no expenses, 165 sq meteres if I remeber correctly, over three floors (including a basement). Of course, only Cap Fed garantia...

I signed on for 6 months but could have gone 1 year. or more? I needed furnished. Everywhere I looked I could only find 3 months at most.

Getting a furnished apartment for 6 months is fairly easy. Most short term rentals are allowed to rent up to 6 months. BytArgentina for example is a common short term rental agency and you can get 6 months with them. You can also rent a year by signing two 6 months contracts with the owner. I have done this on more than one occasion.

I thought you were talking about renting a long term (2 year) unfurnished place without a guarantor. That would be interesting.

BTW - this has been written about before, by me and others (just FYI, a little understanding of why):

By Argentine law, owners who sign more than one 6 month temporary lease could be automatically converting their contract into a full 2-year term contract, which has some pretty big differences over the temporary contract, including how easy it is in a temp contract (maybe a couple of months) vs a full contract (maybe 2 or more years!) to get people out of their apartment if they refuse to pay. These contracts are specified by Argentine law and anything that contradicts Argentina's boiler plate contract is null and void (as far as enforcement goes), whether both parties agree to it or not.

It could be that one 6 month lease followed by another is alright, I'm not an absolute expert on the subject, but I have personally leased some 12 temporary apartments and three long-term apartments (well, one was a house in a private neighborhood outside the city) over the last 7 1/2 years I've lived here, and have had many discussions with real estate agents and owners - as well as having read the law straight out of the school books when helping my sister-in-law study Derecho :)

That's why people don't TEND to lease temporary, furnished apartments for more than 6 months (the maximum limit of the temporary contract) and don't want to have back-to-back contracts (they don't want it to convert). It's just like with labor, everyone here works under a default contract (different contracts depending on what kind of work you do) of Argentine law, whether the company puts you in the white or not. The employee is never illegal, it's the company. If you have a temporary contract for an apartment and stay longer with the owner's permission (whatever the actual limit is) the full-term 2-year contract swings into play and you are covered by those rights, no matter what you and the owner signed.

Dear Mr. Cheese,
I was simply stating my experience not get into a legal tutorial of Argentine Law. Your information is available all over the internet. I could not find a decent apartment that would rent to me for over 3 months at best! Thus I posted it to help Gringos because the information was not available, nor could I find in my pathetic web search capabilities. In the USA we get 6 months to 1 year STANDARD...
Kate

Dear Mr. Cheese,
I was simply stating my experience not get into a legal tutorial of Argentine Law. Your information is available all over the internet. I could not find a decent apartment that would rent to me for over 3 months at best! Thus I posted it to help Gringos because the information was not available, nor could I find in my pathetic web search capabilities. In the USA we get 6 months to 1 year STANDARD...
Kate

I know, I wasn't trying to be pedantic or anything. I was just putting out some information someone else reading the thread might come across.

And I've often thought of moving to Paraguay where things are pretty much what we are used to as far as rentals goes. Easy to rent if you have the money to move in and keep up pyments, removed if not. Much more competitive pricing in freer market. But then Asuncion doesn't have what Buenos Aires has either...

"$1100 USD + (let's say) $3000 pesos is actually only about $1400 USD (really less, and getting "lesser" because of the value of the peso, for the expenses, related to dollar). $2000 USD monthly on a base rent of $1100 USD would be a huge exageration it seems to me"

ElQueso, there are a lot of expenses for those big apartment on Quintana with 24 HR security, expenses, utilities and taxes,If you add all everything. Usually it costs about 2000-3000 dollars to rent those apartments, that's just the norm price. If you speak nice Spanish and act like a local and lucky, you can find a nice deal. But usually, to get a nicely updated apartment with nice furniture, there is no cheap deal.Like you said, if someone died, the relative is willing to lease the nice (usually behind maintenance ) apartment for a lot less, more likely, the owners do not even know the market price. What I am trying to say is that not everyone can find a great deal like that. Sometimes, if the deal is so good, it's too good to be true. After you move in, the heating or cooling is not working, you are living by the bus line, there is massage parlor in the building,you never know. I believe : you get what you pay.

Hi,

My wife & I are searching for a 2 BR / 2 BA apartments in the Recoleta / Belgrano / Las Canitas neighborhoods which feature a secure building, access to washer / dryer, air conditioning, a gas buring stove & oven, good sun & ample closet space.

My wife is returning to BsAs to complete her medical residency in Pediatrics & I am currently employed as an Estate Manager in Maui, Hawaii, responsible for 3 oceanfront estates.

I will continue to work on Maui & will be in BsAs approximately 2 weeks every 3-5 months. Therefore, the apartment will be occupied by 1 person, my wife, the majority of the time.

We are currently in BsAs & hoping to sign contracts May 1, 2014

Thank you for all your assistance & look forward to hearing from you.

All the Best,
David.

I'm looking for a medium term rental (~5 months) starting June 10th.

Dream apartment is in old building, luminous, on the back facing a garden. Full kitchen. For one person. Washing machine.

Back