Long Waits at Ezeiza

After5 said:
Leaving Buenos Aires on Monday night, I found the check-in line at American Airlines spilled out to about half the length of the terminal. It took 1-1/2 hours to reach the counter and obtain a boarding pass. Only four counter agents were handling the main cabin check-in for two international flights with nearby departure times.

My wife had a similar experience with AA a few months ago. So I wrote to them to inquire whether inadequate ground staffing is a chronic problem that produces these long lines. Today I received a boilerplate response which dodges the question:

We are sorry that your check-in took longer than we both would have liked when you traveled with us. We know that customers don't want to have to spend a lot of extra time at the ticket counter, and we know it was inconvenient when you had to wait. We'll make every effort to more efficiently assist you the next time you travel with us.​

What experiences have others had? Are there better options for flying coach class into and out of BsAs? Between the 1-1/2 hours in the AA line, and another hour in security/immigration, I spent a tiresome 2-1/2 hours standing in line. It's really beyond what I'm willing to tolerate, even in steerage.

citygirl said:
I can't say I've had really long waits with AA but it all depends on day/time of year that you fly. Of course all the int'l flights leave at about the same time so the line for security/immigration is always a nightmare.

Ries said:
I have been flying in and out of EZE since 2007, and this is nothing new.
Sometimes the line is very long, and it takes hours. Other times, its mysteriously quick.

There is no explaining this.

This is Argentina.

jimdepalermo said:
When I last left via AA in late January, I encountered no lines at all, even though we arrived at a normal hour, a couple hours before the flight (last flight of the night - to MIA).

I've noticed that the check-in staff aren't AA employees. They swap badges depending on what airline their doing check-in for. So they're subject to the airport's personnel scheduling, rather than AA's.

surfing said:
Is anybody arriving at the airport three hours before departure for international flights and still having this problem?

Amargo said:
I fail to see how this could be Argentina's fault. AA is responsible fo staffing its check-in counters!
I would not bother much complaining to AA, it is on the brink of bankrupcy anyways. The service provided by AA is a disaster, very rude and unfriendly cabin attendants, even on flights from the US to Europe. Oh! and few speak other languages than English - compare that to the crew of let's say Emirates, they combined always speak 10+ languages.

JoeGillis said:
AA filed for bankruptcy in November 2011. Part of their restructuring plan includes reducing worldwide staff by 13,000. This may explain why AA check-in at EZE is woefully understaffed. AA - Arrogant Airlines.

1) Yes, I flew out of EZE on Wednesday night, March 21st and the AA line was a nightmare.

2) I DID use the automated check-in machine... and then I had to wait in line to fly to Dallas.

3) I have NEVER gotten to the airport this early (about 3 hours before the flight was scheduled to depart), and I have NEVER... N-E-V-E-R !!!! made it through customs with this little time to make my flight. It was ridiculous.

4) AA was NOT understaffed, but it was full of people who would look around at times, wander off at times, need to meet in a pow-wow at times, and basically doing things that you NEVER see at AA desks in any other country.

So is isn't JUST AA's fault, but rather AA's fault for the kind of porteñas they hire. (Yes, in this section it is ONLY women.) It is absolutely a staff competency issue.

5) Some of the lazy chicas at the checkout area are HOT!!

6) I would get to the airport 3+ hours in advance. I usually fly out in August and the process takes about 1.5 hours. This took 2.5 hours EASILY!!!

7) There is no other airline that is as perfect for me as AA. I flew home and THEN to NYC... and then I'll return from NYC, hang out at home for 2 weeks, and THEN fly back to EZE. All for only 40K miles. All other airlines can bite me.

Be careful, get to the airport early!.

Yes, remember that AA.com says specifically that for EZE you should arrive 3 hours prior to flight time. If you do that and don't get through in time then you have a valid complaint; not so much if you don't.

Back