Longterm Expats: What Has You Life Been Like?

A friend of mine used the public healthcare and found it to be fairly good. The main problem was waiting in line for 3 hours to get an appt, from 5.30 in the morning! Sometimes he would have to queue up a couple of days in a row to get an appt. He had an unsightly lump removed from his back and the botched stitches left scars worse than the lump itself. Now he's back living in the US and is considering expensive correctional surgery.

I married met wife in Ireland and moved here to be with her family. We have a number of advantages in that we owned some properties, were able to organise job transfers internally and both spoke Spanish and had a network of friends and family here. I was lucky that my transfer got held up in red tape amd has only recently been approved giving me 6 months to relax, acclimatise and improve my own Spanish skills....and bought a dog, to help with the flagging commitment to exercise.

I have to say, without anyone of those things it would have been a more daunting experience. Looking for a job, housing and learning the language is a lot to take on and will definitely cash to fall back on.

Reccomend that you start saving agressively now whilst monitoring the local political and economic scenario. Get married, enjoy your honeymoon than take a look at your finances and see how much you have left in the kitty for relocation. Start learning the language asap if you arent already. Without wanting to be too personal, the better your relationship is with your in laws and extended family, the better the experience will be!

Oops sorry, just saw that you're engaged! Congrats! So obviously you are 100% committed to her :) Many people here say that the money aspect doesn't matter, but I think it does make quite a difference. Middle class Argentina is not the same as Middle class in Canada.

here you will always be able to have a "decent" plate in your meal and a good wine too.
all the rest is up to you
regards
Fredd

haha -- have to laugh at the mention of in-laws -- it's true, you will be marrying the FAMILY, not just her. If you don't get on with the family and choose to opt-out of family events, you'll find yourself alone a fair bit!

You don't say where you're from in Canada, ie Quebec or Canada. But really it's the same deal -- even if you marry her it's not immediate that she can move back. You have a couple of options, one to apply with her inside of Canada after marrying, or to apply from outside. Either way you're going to have to prove that you have the finances to support her for 3 years -- during that time she's not allowed to apply for any benefits, loans etc. You can do the application from outside of Canada -- CIC has all the info, and somewhere on there it will tell you approx processing times. Ours took 13 months I believe to get my husband approved for his PR -- and then we still haven't used it (laughing until I cry....) so there goes a couple thousand bucks down the drain... if we don't move within the next 15 mos I think it expires and we have to do it all over again...

Anyway, the upside of the wait is, hey, why not move here for that time? You're going to have to have some finances in order first to apply anyway, but once you do, you could submit application from here. While it's being processed you can live here and see what you think. When it comes through you can fly the coop together, or else you have up to 3 years to move to Canada before it expires.

The only reason I ask if you're from Quebec is that they have slightly different paperwork and processing times (and you have to sign a declaration recognising the sovereignity of Quebec and that you agree French is the official language above all others -- no I'm not kidding, basically you have to say I will leave my culture at home I will join the PQ; if you have any leanings otherwise it is a bit uncomfortable to put pen to paper and sign).

It's true...you're marrying into an Argentine family! Find out which football team your potential suegro, brothers and sisters in law and cousins support then pledge your allegiance..vocally...maybe buy a shirt for the first family bbq. Your popularity will skyrocket and you'll find you get the choice cuts from the asado. Serious bonus points for ability to remember minor details of past glories.

With luck he wont be an Independiente fan....

A friend of mine used the public healthcare and found it to be fairly good. The main problem was waiting in line for 3 hours to get an appt, from 5.30 in the morning! Sometimes he would have to queue up a couple of days in a row to get an appt. He had an unsightly lump removed from his back and the botched stitches left scars worse than the lump itself. Now he's back living in the US and is considering expensive correctional surgery.

What part of that story is "fairly good"?

He didn't have any problem up until then, this was in his last year of about 8 years in Argentina. Only had consultations and tests etc before, and of course he was happy that he didn't have to pay as he couldn't afford private healthcare.

There is the "free option", true. I am still not so sure I would want to be in the position of relying on the public health system though!
I do think the quality of the private plans is excellent though, basically all inclusive at a reasonable cost!!

Back