Longterm Expats: What Has You Life Been Like?

haha -- have to laugh at the mention of in-laws -- it's true, you will be marrying the FAMILY, not just her. If you don't get on with the family and choose to opt-out of family events, you'll find yourself alone a fair bit!

You don't say where you're from in Canada, ie Quebec or Canada. But really it's the same deal -- even if you marry her it's not immediate that she can move back. You have a couple of options, one to apply with her inside of Canada after marrying, or to apply from outside. Either way you're going to have to prove that you have the finances to support her for 3 years -- during that time she's not allowed to apply for any benefits, loans etc. You can do the application from outside of Canada -- CIC has all the info, and somewhere on there it will tell you approx processing times. Ours took 13 months I believe to get my husband approved for his PR -- and then we still haven't used it (laughing until I cry....) so there goes a couple thousand bucks down the drain... if we don't move within the next 15 mos I think it expires and we have to do it all over again...

Anyway, the upside of the wait is, hey, why not move here for that time? You're going to have to have some finances in order first to apply anyway, but once you do, you could submit application from here. While it's being processed you can live here and see what you think. When it comes through you can fly the coop together, or else you have up to 3 years to move to Canada before it expires.

The only reason I ask if you're from Quebec is that they have slightly different paperwork and processing times (and you have to sign a declaration recognising the sovereignity of Quebec and that you agree French is the official language above all others -- no I'm not kidding, basically you have to say I will leave my culture at home I will join the PQ; if you have any leanings otherwise it is a bit uncomfortable to put pen to paper and sign).

re : Québec
If you are from Québec, you might find that Argentina is strangely similar to Québec in some aspects (more than English Canada) : when it comes to things such as family, social life, joie de vivre, social safety net, driving, protests, and lately corruption (but that's being fixed). My Argentinian partner and I were walking around the Plateau Mont-Royal area of Montréal mid summer and it dawned on us, looking around that we could very well be in Palermo : the vibe, the restaurants, the cafés, the people...

If you are from Québec, you might find that Argentina is strangely similar to Québec in some aspects (more than English Canada) : when it comes to things such as family, social life, joie de vivre, social safety net, driving, protests, and lately corruption (but that's being fixed). My Argentinian partner and I were walking around the Plateau Mont-Royal area of Montréal mid summer and it dawned on us, looking around that we could very well be in Palermo : the vibe, the restaurants, the cafés, the people...

Funniest thing I've heard today

Hi:
I am Torontonian retiree perma-tourist 8 years here. I can`t comment on work or kids. I can only comment on little things in life that you will not find in LONLEY PLANET. Few things if you can put up with, guarantee you`ll have a great time like I SURELY DID.

DO NOT MISS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
Lobster shrimp with garlic butter/
Beef that melts in your mouth and smells from miles away/
Driving like a rational human being/
cheeses (real stinky old fortified cheeses with taste)/
grade "A" fruits & vegies (grade "A" fruit meat vegies everything all exported)
swiss chalet/
Tim Horton /
if you have 3rd party insurance on your car ($135 CAD/monthly) and someone hits you, your insurance gives u a piece of paper and tells you to go fight the other guy`s insurance (if he has one!!!!) yourself. ( Full coverage insurance terms here are almost equal to 3rd party terms in TO)
Blue water at your door steps (unless u drive 440 km to see the Ocean).
your dollar is worth only 59 cents (unless u r creative cautious & careful).
cashew pistachio (unless u r nuts & willing 2 pay through the nose)
spices (if u love bland tastless colourless things u`ll come to heavens)
Knowing exactly what is the law so u can abide
No beaurucracy
things like that ... I glady put up with all the above 8.5 years GLADLY, no problem. Un Gusto.

It is really really really an adventure. I don`t know how my 8.5 years passed by here so quickly.

The only thing that is going to kill me here is the RESIDENCY issue (which u don`t have). That is another whole slew of problems ...... ( we talking Federal Courts & Supreme Courts .... My God .... hard 2 believe) Just recently started 2 read about this stuff.

RESIDENCY is my nightmare & just started to bother me just few weeks ago. The more I read about it, I start to get depressed. May be it is better 4 me 2 start thinking about leaving (even if it is against my will). Don`t know to where yet ... Miami may be .... With NAFTA there are no residency issues 4 Canadian. And the dollar is 100 cents not 59 ( & will be 100 c tomorrow & the day after .... till I die).

Agree absolutely. In fact I remember when I arrived in 2005 having lunch in Palermo and thinking, wow, I could be on the Plateau... (I haven't lived in Mtl in 16 years, and haven't visited in about 10, would love to go back!)

Regarding education:
According to a recent data summary of World education ranking published in The Guardian UK, Canada rates third in the world for Reading, Math & Science.
The USA is 14th, The UK is 20th and Argentina is 44th just under Indonesia and above Kazakhstan.

Our experience with private schools in Buenos Aires has not been positive. Private educations is very expensive.

Most professional couples we know are overwhelmed by making ends meet.

Regarding education:
According to a recent data summary of World education ranking published in The Guardian UK, Canada rates third in the world for Reading, Math & Science.
The USA is 14th, The UK is 20th and Argentina is 44th just under Indonesia and above Kazakhstan.

Our experience with private schools in Buenos Aires has not been positive. Private educations is very expensive.

Regarding education:

Overall the UK is 6th, but then the Guardian would pick a worse result to show the UK in a bad light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356

I am from California...my parents are Argentine (father from Mendoza, mother from el barrio de Flores) I was born in USA...married an Argentine for 26 years, we lived in California. We moved back to BsAs - all he ever wanted is to move back to his homeland...don't do it.... we were divorced within a few years. I now live in Argentina (I am the one born and raised in the US) and he as an Argentine says he will never ever come visit here. Once you have lived in both countries you are neither from here or there. I wish the best!!!

Huxley, I think if you two havent yet settled and have the option available to live in say Canada or the USA (ie job opportunities, visa permitting etc) I would take that option.

Another thing to think about, if your fiancee doesnt have a lot of commitments and is not willing to move for you (but you would for her), that is another thing to consider...(in my honest opinion).

Good luck with everything, hope it all works out.

Back