Looking Back...

Living in Argentina or anyplace else basically gives you a broader perspective. Doesn't mean one place is bad and the other good, everything is relative. What you find is things are different, sometimes bad different, sometimes good. What it does do is make you more appreciative of certain things back home and possibly something new in your current location. Depends on the person if you see more good or bad in Argentina versus somewhere else, probably based on your previous situation back home and what stage of life you are in.

sergio said:
Aren't Argentines considered westerners? In BA they certainly make a point of how European they are. If they aren't western. what are they?
Since the Earth is a ball, Argentinos are very very very far easterners :D depends on where you are - as seen from Chile Argentina is to the east.

Of course Argentinos are living in the western world, easy for anyone to see.

Argentina has lots of downsides.
Argentina has lots of upsides.
After almost three years the upsides still outweigh the downsides.

Besides, I prefer the daily problems to overwin as opposed to the life as a well fed slave and too easy life up north.

John.St said:
Since the Earth is a ball, Argentinos are very very very far easterners :D depends on where you are - as seen from Chile Argentina is to the east.

Of course Argentinos are living in the western world, easy for anyone to see.

I actually see things from a North/South perspective rather than East/West. Yankees versus rebels. How do people in the Southern Hemisphere keep from falling off as their heads are pointed down?

I agree. Life in Europe, or the US - and even moreso Canada, where we have a greater health & education situation, and social programs - is certainly easier.

And some people want easier.

But easy is not for everyone. Among happy expats, found reasonably infrequently on here, there was a conscious decision that easy just didn't cut it. Many of us left stable, well-paying jobs that were quite interesting, at companies that treated us well, provided various training options, financial options (employee share purchase plans, rrsp/retirement contribution matching), significant vacation time, etc. We had family & friends nearby, following the standard life path of "most people." But it wasn't enough, or fulfilling, and something about here awoke a passion or freedom from just going with the flow and living an easy, somewhat unexciting life.

Not to say that everyone who doesn't leave their home country, change careers or similar is living it easy and boring- but that for many of us, it would be, bc for us, it was too easy, and our appetite for fulfillment was not met by what surrounded us. Of course there are tons of people doing amazing things at home but let's face it, there are a LOT who aren't.

I think part of what I love here is that is it not easy. I've lived a somewhat charmed life and leaving it has been so rewarding. I dream bigger & am surrounded by likeminds. If you can walk away from so much certainty - what CAN'T you do?

I never thought I was unhappy - but wouldn't you know, I'm happier.

Different isn't always better. But for some of us, easy is not better, either.

I think the OP is right: life is easier in the US, but easy doesn´t mean better, at least not for everyone. Look at Sweden for example, where they have the highest suicide rates. People are not happy knowing exactly how their life is going to turn out since they are born. some do, but a lot don´t and that makes them incredibly unhappy. I am very critical of Argentina, my country, and it has lots of problems and flaws, but in all honesty I am not dying for moving to the US either where my husband belongs, as I did not like what I saw. The only reason I would do it, is just so he can be closer to his family and friends... even though he would have to get an appointment a few weeks in advance to hang out with them, if you know what I mean :)

It seems some here are agreeing that life is easier in the north..west whichever you prefer. But they prefer things to be more difficult, complicated..life to be unpredictable. Really? Please do tell how the police closing down your business for a bribe makes life more interesting. Do tell how keeping your possessions always under lock and key...always under your own watchful eye makes life more enjoyable. How working your ass off to make try to make a better life for you and your family..only for inflation to be rising at a much faster rate than your income...
Please!!!
Why is it that so many ex-pats only last 1year..maybe 2? Because they are weak? Because they do not have the strength for challenges in life? I think not! Let us not forget..they packed up all their belongings and moved their asses down here.. (myself lived in Turkey for just over 6 years before coming here).. it was not easy either. I chose not to want to live a life, that needs to be more difficult than I can make/have. I am fortunate enough to have/make the opportunities to relocate myself.. I think many/most that don't move back/elsewhere don't have the finances anymore... or due to family reasons can't..
I do wonder if those that have a perspective, that a tough life will grow hair on their backs.. are going to say they really think that is attractive too...

cbphoto, I do not think it is the tougher life what makes it attractive to some, but the fact that they are willing to deal with some stuff, because they enjoy the unpredictability of a life that is not pre digested for you, and the unexpected. Living out of the box that is. I do not think it is for everybody, and not because not being able to adapt makes them weaker at all, but we are all different and have different needs and expectations. For many, all those negative things that you mention, are outweighed by other equally positive unexpected experiences and opportunities.

Nikad.. Life is Not unpredictable in the North/West... Every day people/places throw curve balls.. but I am sure you will agree...the less negatives that come your way...the more opportunity for positives to be made. Life is challenging enough... without the stress of someone/something taking away all you have created... at any moment. If that is what you seek.. why stop at Argentina... go live in the other 60% of the world that does not have running , clean water...

quote: "Some other things that stick out in the US since I've been back is that everyone is fat. I mean, it's a real problem here (and one that has been talked about over and over, but just damn)."

Welcome back. See ya at McDonalds.

Back