Looking Back...

John.St said:
Isn't this 'alta traición a la patría'? :D

The main problem with grilled meat is that "all" men think they are great, even unsurpassed asadores - in Argentina, The US, Europe, Turkey, Malaysia, Australia, ... all 268 countries.

They aren't.

If a very experienced asador (I have one, a friend who has been an asador in a restaurant for several years) prepares the meat, the taste is wonderful. If not, it's just a slab of salted, overcooked, slightly burned, animal cellulose containing 80% water.

And nobody - I mean nobody - uses charcoal for an asado, leña is the only decent choice, charcoal is for perverts ;) and besides, you have no ideas if your charcoal is made of old timber full of lead tetroxide, tar and other chemicals from wood conservation.

I have many years of experience as an (amateur) grillmaster, European style (lomo and filete in thin slices, cooked 'vuelta y vuelta') but to become an Argentino asador aficionado, I have been his apprentice for about a year and in the near future I am going to make my debut - hopefully the performance won't be too bad.

All so true... I have some freinds that make asados that are mind blowing.. I mean from the steak to the testicles and everything in between.

Then I have some friends that just seem to blast the meat over the grill and whalla crusty meat with salt. :( And sometimes it tastes more like the carbon than the meat... which usually results in my stomache being upset the next day.

John.St said:
I have been his apprentice for about a year and in the near future I am going to make my debut - hopefully the performance won't be too bad.
I passed my exam last week - half a kg (2.2 lbs) for each of the participants, 60 percent of whom were ladies - and all that was left was a small lump of meat, app. 100 g (4 ounces), a fact which tells more than the Argentinos who told me I am a better asador than most Argentinos (brag-brag :D).

Back