Looking Back...

gouchobob said:
I actually see things from a North/South perspective rather than East/West. Yankees versus rebels. How do people in the Southern Hemisphere keep from falling off as their heads are pointed down?
You can actually buy a globe with south up so the question is How does anybody avoid falling off? :D

Zissou said:
I think part of what I love here is that is it not easy. I've lived a somewhat charmed life and leaving it has been so rewarding. I dream bigger & am surrounded by likeminds. If you can walk away from so much certainty - what CAN'T you do?

I never thought I was unhappy - but wouldn't you know, I'm happier.

Different isn't always better. But for some of us, easy is not better, either.
I am with this, 100.0000 percent.

fifs2 said:
I wish my brain could accept these numbers but I cannot for the life of me compute such a high level of obesity in Argentina..are there fat provinces where no expat ever goes that are driving up these figures?
It depends on how and what you count.

There are many overweight people in e.g. the provinces, but they are 220 - 250 pounders, not the extremely obese 350-500 pounders you see in e.g. the US.

angelskywalker said:
As an argentine, after reading some of the posts, I’d like to give my opinion.
First of all, I agree with all those who complain about our food not having spice or even taste. That’s just a FACT. Let’s see the pictures
1- that’s plain boiled spinach wrapped in a pancake bathed with plain tomato sauce and loads of cheese on top. Where’s the taste? Oh! Is that parsley? So theere it is!
2- Toast with cheese and oregano: that bread has seen many customers before you, that’s for sure! Someone saw that bread when it was fresh in the morning, then another customer saw it later as a nice crunchy toast and finally, before it goes oaf, it was put in the oven with a bit of oregano and cheese, VOILA!! Enjoy your appetizers! I’d rather have a bit of garlic bread, thank you very much.
3- Pasta with sea food: same old same old….. just a bit of extravaganza with sea food to make it look worth at least AR$ 40 right?
4- Sushi in Puerto Madero… the fact that it is prepared here doesn’t make it qualify as argentine food, does it?
What is asado if not plain meat grilled with perhaps a bit of salt? For ***’s sake, is that real taste?

Juuaaaa jaaa ja aaa aj aaaa

1. Lets start with the Asado! Ohhhh yeah and you probibly have no idea why the meat is so DAMN good!

In order to understand the flavor of the meat, as I see it, you would have to have hunted and eaten what you killed hunting at some time in your life. I have experienced this.. and the beef here has a delicate flavor of wild game which I presonally like VERY much. I for one do not want to loose to that flavor in spices.

2. And that pasta was in a very good traditional Italian restaurant! What is wrong with good pasta done the right way traditional old world Italian?

3. Toasted garlic bread prepared very well with a little olive oil and spices. How could you ever knock that.. a global staple in just about any good restaurant. :eek:

4. Sushi and well pretty good sushi at that in Argentina... thank GOD for sushi I love the stuff!

Next time I am in BA let me take you out to diner! Then again that might be a waste of time.

Now as for the other issues you mentioned that is all obvious..

As for the women I have lived in Southern California, Texas, New York.. and may places in between. I have traveled to most of Latin America and many other global spots. Argentinian women tend to have a bit of immaturity and that for me makes them more playful and fun.. They also tend to be very energenic and affectionate.

And as far as looks are concerned Argentinian women are actually ranked #2 globally behind #1 which I believe is those tall blond blue eyed babes in Sweden or some place like that.

And the wine... I wont even bother!

Wait lets see some more...

Octopus.. with some decent wine!

octopus2.jpg

Shrimp Temprora - Hope I spleled that right!

tempora.jpg

Some shrimp that is not with pasta!

italian.jpg

Well anyway I am getting hungry.. Honey lets go to diner! :cool:

Your posts are a breath of fresh air and completety true . In every country of the world opening a business as a foreigner is very difficult . I do not believe that Argentina is more difficult than the USA or Europe in that regard just its more time consuming .

Buenos Aires is a city to be enjoyed and one that lives for enjoyment . Go out in the night and see the full restaurants and clubs that do allow one to enjoy without being made to spend monies just consuming . There is a plethora of culture here that is available free of charge and even at 6 am in the morning you can visit a nightclub and have coffee at a myriad of coffee shops. Life for many here is exciting and relaxing at the same time it just depends how you handle the stresses of everyday life.[/QUOTE]

A breath of fresh air is a little dramatic don't you think? And if you establish a normal life in BA, it's going to consist of accomplishing all of the above and the process being time consuming is an understatement. It's a downright joke.

As far as the nightlife and clubs go, I'm at the stage in my life where I don't partake in these things, so now what. What do I do to pass the time? I found myself on the weekends trying to come up with more and more things to do and felt as if I had done it all. I love to exercise, but can only go to the Parque de los lagos, and the reserva in Puerto Madero to run so many times before I feel like life is redundant. I used this site on numerous occasions to find out what's going on in and around the city, so that helped me out significantly, but I just still felt like something was missing.

Back