Looking Back...

citygirl said:
Not done locally - those are Spaniards ;) But nonetheless, brilliant!!! Ah, if only some day, that would happen in reality instead of just on the silver screen. A true fantasy!:D

Absolutely hilarious movie clip! This kinda behavior is prevelant here in the US as well. It's a small world afterall.

stefano said:
Absolutely hilarious movie clip! This kinda behavior is prevelant here in the US as well. It's a small world afterall.

Only when you're dealing with Government employees. I had to call the US post office this past week and it was a nightmare. I got different stories from different employees, just a mess.

stefano said:

DMV United States? Especially in California in around LA!:eek:

I am glad that we have this open place to debate and share our views. And so, here’s what I think about what the “hilarity” of my comments.

1- I don’t think most people come here to hunt their own meat and then cook it. So basically, what we eat is grilled meat with perhaps a bit of salt…..it’s not a delicacy is it?

2. Italians are well known for having flavoured aromatic food. Now, tomato sauce is just tomato sauce, isn’t it? Spinach rolled in a pancake is still spinach too. Perhaps my palate is a bit more developed than some people’s, my bad!!! I wouldn’t call that pasta “good food” or “tasty food”, I would call it basic stuff.

3. I insist, that bread doesn’t look like it has any garlic nor olive oil nor spices. Just oregano and oil. Ever worked in bad or good restaurants’ kitchen in Argentina?

4. Glad people love sushi, I just meant what I said…… “Sushi in Puerto Madero… the fact that it is prepared here doesn’t make it qualify as argentine food, does it?”

I usually take MANY MANY foreigners to try argentine food and then some ethnic food from somewhere else (always because they ask me for more taste). I make sure they don’t try plain pasta or sushi. My palate appreciates a lot that you wouldn’t waste your time taking me to dine out, cheers!
Now, regarding women and for what I’ve heard from foreigners, South American women can be very jealous, narcissist, possessive and selfish. Also, beautiful, loving, playful, nurturing and caring of D.O.Gs (dirty old gits), F.A.Gs. (fat antisocial gits) and L.O.Gs. (lazy old gits). This, according to them, is owing to the fact that argentine women are misogynists and lack of self-esteem. Whether it’s because of the religion, traditions or whatever it is, I don’t know. But then again, whenever you generalize, you make mistakes. To say that Argentinian women have a bit of immaturity, sounds offensive to me. What kind of woman accepts being “immature” as a compliment????

What works for someone won't necessarily work for the rest. There is no point in trying to impose own views into everyone's mind. For me asado in Argentina is the best dish in the World, only salt on it, please no sauces. But then it is my opinion.
I usually laugh when I read things like 'mode in Argentina is 20 years behind'...who for God's sake decides whats new mode? It is just different. So the top designers including African designs in their collections are, well, several centuries behind African mode.
It is pointles to discuss tastes.

angelskywalker said:
I am glad that we have this open place to debate and share our views. And so, here’s what I think about what the “hilarity” of my comments.

1- I don’t think most people come here to hunt their own meat and then cook it. So basically, what we eat is grilled meat with perhaps a bit of salt…..it’s not a delicacy is it?

2. Italians are well known for having flavoured aromatic food. Now, tomato sauce is just tomato sauce, isn’t it? Spinach rolled in a pancake is still spinach too. Perhaps my palate is a bit more developed than some people’s, my bad!!! I wouldn’t call that pasta “good food” or “tasty food”, I would call it basic stuff.

3. I insist, that bread doesn’t look like it has any garlic nor olive oil nor spices. Just oregano and oil. Ever worked in bad or good restaurants’ kitchen in Argentina?

4. Glad people love sushi, I just meant what I said…… “Sushi in Puerto Madero… the fact that it is prepared here doesn’t make it qualify as argentine food, does it?”

I usually take MANY MANY foreigners to try argentine food and then some ethnic food from somewhere else (always because they ask me for more taste). I make sure they don’t try plain pasta or sushi. My palate appreciates a lot that you wouldn’t waste your time taking me to dine out, cheers!
Now, regarding women and for what I’ve heard from foreigners, South American women can be very jealous, narcissist, possessive and selfish. Also, beautiful, loving, playful, nurturing and caring of D.O.Gs (dirty old gits), F.A.Gs. (fat antisocial gits) and L.O.Gs. (lazy old gits). This, according to them, is owing to the fact that argentine women are misogynists and lack of self-esteem. Whether it’s because of the religion, traditions or whatever it is, I don’t know. But then again, whenever you generalize, you make mistakes. To say that Argentinian women have a bit of immaturity, sounds offensive to me. What kind of woman accepts being “immature” as a compliment????

Hmmm feisty arnt we?

1. Asado.. Asado is the Argentinian food. Pasta, Pizza, Mili are global staples you can get just about any place in the world. And they are about the same all over the world too...

Asado lets take a closer a look at this...

First the carne..

It's not grain fed mass produced farm raised crap :cool:!!!! Your cattle roam freely and graze. Consequently the beef has as hint of wild game flavor. I never tasted anything like in my life until I had my first asado.

Second the Parilla

The way in which Argentinians prepare this special beef is truely a form of art IMHO. That beef needs to come off that grill at just the right moment and if the person making the asado is good they will pull the meat off with artistic percision. Before that they must also know how much charcoal and how much heat for the specific meat they are cooking. WOW! blow me away....

Now you may think I am simple minded becaue I like grilled meat Argentinian style. But I know some folks here that are artists when it comes to all this and I have never in all my travels had anything come off a grill that even compares.

This Asado is your Argentinian food and you do it better than any culture in the world... from the cattle to the meat to the charcoal and the grill. Bravo your Argentian food is the best in the world!

2 and 3 together shall we - I worked my through college as a waiter in excellent Italian restuarants in both New York and California. I know food in and out A to Z. It is a hobby of mine both dinning out and cooking which is why I take photos of it all the time.

BA has excellent food from just about every culture on the planet. Bottom line.. I have eaten all over the US and many other global spots BA completes with any place I have been and wins in some tastes.

4 Women...

Argentinan women are some of the most beautiful in the world and Argentina is famous for smoking hot babes. Yes there are some crazy jelous shallow latin lover types here which comes from immaturity. But I can spot these nuts a mile away and avoid them like the plaque.

Then there are these not so crazy beatiful peaceful women that still have that childish side. Which for me they are very playful and fun if you know how to handle them. This of course is personal taste and others may not like that trait in women.

Ahh but alas I am retired again after 15 years of the single thing and getting married to one of them in a few months.

Sometimes you can not see the forest for the trees... :cool:

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/forest+for+the+trees.html

Tom, Argentine beef is not always grass fed. The following comes from a farm publication:

About 30 percent of Argentine cattle now finish their lives in feedlots, according to the Argentine Feedlot Chamber. Ten or fifteen years ago, that number was zero.

"Ranching here is going from an artisan craft, based on grass, to a more industrial system, similar to the United States," said Eduardo Pereda, whose family founded the Nueva Castilla ranch in Trenque Lauquen in 1883.

sergio said:
Tom, Argentine beef is not always grass fed. The following comes from a farm publication:

About 30 percent of Argentine cattle now finish their lives in feedlots, according to the Argentine Feedlot Chamber. Ten or fifteen years ago, that number was zero.

"Ranching here is going from an artisan craft, based on grass, to a more industrial system, similar to the United States," said Eduardo Pereda, whose family founded the Nueva Castilla ranch in Trenque Lauquen in 1883.

Well that would explain why some of the beef in certain shops is crap and the beef in other shops is incredible. How sad! :confused: And this certainly something I am seeing over time.. as the capitalism infultrates.. well.. quality typically goes down hill. Guess we better enjoy it while we can.

angelskywalker said:

Isn't this 'alta traición a la patría'? :D

The main problem with grilled meat is that "all" men think they are great, even unsurpassed asadores - in Argentina, The US, Europe, Turkey, Malaysia, Australia, ... all 268 countries.

They aren't.

If a very experienced asador (I have one, a friend who has been an asador in a restaurant for several years) prepares the meat, the taste is wonderful. If not, it's just a slab of salted, overcooked, slightly burned, animal cellulose containing 80% water.

And nobody - I mean nobody - uses charcoal for an asado, leña is the only decent choice, charcoal is for perverts ;) and besides, you have no ideas if your charcoal is made of old timber full of lead tetroxide, tar and other chemicals from wood conservation.

I have many years of experience as an (amateur) grillmaster, European style (lomo and filete in thin slices, cooked 'vuelta y vuelta') but to become an Argentino asador aficionado, I have been his apprentice for about a year and in the near future I am going to make my debut - hopefully the performance won't be too bad.

Back