Looking for a bakery with fresh healthy bread

amyostrander

Registered
I am looking for a bakery for healthy bread made fresh daily (not a pastry shop =). I am also looking for a place where they make fresh pasta as well. Thanks in advance.

Hausbrot (locations all over the city) sells a whole range of organic, whole-grain breads, as well as facturas and treats, dry pasta, and empanadas. However, I've actually started buying my bread at Meraviglia (a vegetarian cafe located on Gorriti and Carranza), as I find it much tastier (tastes just like Eli's Health Loaf, if you're familiar with that brand in the US.) Their bread is sold fresh out of the oven, as are an assortment of whole-grain cookies, granola, and other goodies.

Belaria (chain of bakeries) sells fresh bread from the oven. Most of it is white but they do make some wholewheat rolls and occasionally some wholewheat french bread. It's also a pastry shop though. In fact, most places I know that bake bread on the premises (and they're in every barrio) are also pastry/factura places.
I also like hausbrout but I can't imagine they make it fresh everywhere (their little kiosk in Alto Palermo, for example). I also find it a bit hard.
The best bread in the city is from the French bakery, L'epi. They sell lots of different kinds, including a traditional baguette. It's all delicious and baked on site. There's one in Chacarita and another in Recoletta.

Ashley said:
The best bread in the city is from the French bakery, L'epi. They sell lots of different kinds, including a traditional baguette. It's all delicious and baked on site. There's one in Chacarita and another in Recoletta.

I bought a loaf from L'Epi just yesterday. (Calle Montevideo location)

I also bought some pan au chocolat (a.k.a "chocolate croissants") These are like the real thing, only much smaller, but yummy.

The baguettes in DISCO are made on site daily (or two or three times/day) and are the best bread deal in the city. The baguettes from L'epi are delicious and more "country style", but are also about 2 to 4 times as much.

As for Pasta...

They have those places all over town, so unless you put your location in this thread down to about 4 blocks, the advice is borderline worthless.

i wished there was a better alternative to hausbrot. that stuff is so dense you can knock some one dead with it. i have not yet found a bread i really like, after years of trying different ones.

Thanks so much for all the comments. As for the fresh pasta, I am at Malabia y Honduras. Thanks again!

i wished there was a better alternative to hausbrot. that stuff is so dense you can knock some one dead with it.

Hee. I once bought a loaf of centeno, and the girl commented as she handed it to me, "Uy, es un ladrillo!" It's true; it really could be used as a lethal weapon.

Back