Looking for a Bolivia expat hookup please

Spork

Registered
This may be an inappropriate question, but as many of you are seasoned expats I was hoping for some quality direction pointing please.

We are leaving BA soon and WWOOFing (organic farming) North to Bolivia where we will hopefully find paid jobs. We have been unsuccessful in finding sustainable work here.

Does anyone know about the job situation for teaching in Bolivia? We cannot find a reliable expat community, not one that is as well connected as this site. We we're hoping to work out what the low down is before we arrive.

Any suggestions/comparisons would be super appreciated.

I can't stress how informative this blog has been for me over the past few months. Thanks!

Well needless to say the expat community in Bolivia is quite small compared to the one in BA. If you have problems finding work here, it's gonna be tough because it's gonna be a lot more difficult to find work there. I'd assume most of it is volunteer work.

i don't have an answer to your question about Bolivia. I do have a suggestion about where you could find work on a farm. Try the Chaco region of Paraguay. There are 3 Mennonite colonies there near the town of Filadelphia. They are very honest and hard working people who can always use some farm help.

I've heard Bolivia is a beautiful country but i've also heard its very poor. If you are going there looking for work, you should really try to make some contacts first.

Cheers for the above info guys - definitely need to make contacts first! :)

Spork - are you an aspiring english teacher? I have no personal experience with Bolivia, but I would imagine that the market for english teachers there is minuscule compared to any mid-sized city in Argentina, let alone to BA.

The BA expat group is like no other in Argentina. In fact, Buenos Aries is nothing like the rest of Argentina! There are so many expats in BA that perhaps the english teacher job market is flooded.

I teach english in Cordoba. I would say that my students want to improve their english to get ahead professionally. Bolivia is poor country and less people there have the disposable income or the desire to learn english the way Argentinians do.

Have you given up on landing employment in Argentina because of your experience in finding work in BA? I see openings for paid english teachers in the Cordoba newspaper all the time and there very few native english speakers living here. And it's not even February, the start of the school year, which is the best time of year to find work.

Suerte in your travels woofing!

WOW thanks for the feedback voyagingknoxvillian. That's great news regarding Cordoba. We we're hoping to keep trying for work Teaching within Argentina - just looking out of BA and if no luck then on to Bolivia and North? Our first woofing job is in Cordoba so we'll make sure we have a good luck for work there while farming as well.
Appreciate the encouragement, been thinking BA is just flooded too. :)

Back