Looking For Advice/help From Seasoned Expats

Fine, since we're all participating, I'll throw out my .02 .

Your idea to roam on your grandfathered in Verizon plan is a bad idea.

well was that skill to critically think worth the cost? I don't plan to go into massive debt, after all is said and done I would have only 40k-50k or so, its not world ending debt, and I could always go work for some people i know and get around 50k a yr... not tons, but its better than my BS is psychology haha, but they require that paper. I am really good with money, so I could get that paid off fairly easy in 2-3 years, my cost of living is super low normally.

I couldent do ivy league though.... its just to much debt for me to stomach.

Yes, my MBA was worth it. Your plan still has a lot of gaping holes in it. You want to come here with very little savings, no serious job prospect and live a middle-class lifestyle, you want to marry an Argentine and move back to the US, and you are planning to pay off your student loans in a couple of years on top of all of this. None of those ends are ever going to meet. Sorry.

Just for a reality check: What do you think will happen here in Argentina over the next couple of years that could have a huge impact on one's ability to make a "decent" living? What do you see as the critical external factors of which you will have no control?

(Now, I sound like my dad! LOL)

Personally, I wouldn't get the MBA if you are looking to start your own business. Nowadays, all the information you can get out there will allow you to get that information for free. While it's true that your professors might have some good real world wisdom, I highly doubt it's worth the price of admission. The best part of the MBA is if you are looking for a certain kind of job or need contacts. If you have no business acumen, the best way to learn is by doing it, and doing some heavy research before you start up your business.

If you already have an iphone and want to use it here, you can take it down here. Order one of those sim trays off of ebay that replaces the tray for the sim, and it will unlock your phone (costs 20 bucks maybe) with a sim from here. You can then use the iphone down here.

Your plan sounds messy to me.

UBA is a real nightmare. Be aware that if you are going to take undergrad courses, a U.S. HS diploma does not stand here. You would need to take supplementary courses in order to pasa a GED like test over Argentine history and Spanish. Once you manage to get past that, you can then take undergrad courses in UBA. Good luck with that--you will want to cut your veins after 6 months. Actually getting a degree in UBA takes 7 or 8 years and incredible persistence.

Well thank you all for the help on the MBA part and other questions. Sounds like its just not worth it then doing an MBA there, but its okay, I can just come back to the states after a little fun down there to start my program here.

I am mostly coming to argentine for the experience, I still don't speak fluently, but am close enough that a year or so should do it. That and I would love to see everyone from my trips before, I made lots of friends that I miss.

Overall its cheaper for me to live in arg for the year I am doing my online degree than here, so it makes it "almost" a free trip for me looking at it in that sense. Obviously not free, but if I stay in the states, I will have easily 10k more in debt after all is said and done, so why not save 10k?

I know tons of argentine girls already, and been asked by quite a few to marry them and take them here with me haha (if your in your 30s and american, I know a ton of single women that dont have kids, let me know if interested :D), I don't foresee that part as difficult, but that is in the south, I have no clue with northern girls, but all my argentine buddies said its no problem.

Not sure if its because there are a lot of negative post, but sounds like theres no point in living in BS AS, nor Argentina if its so hard to even make ends meat, so why are so many over there haha? I don't remember it being all to difficult when I was there. Heck just teaching english in the south makes you enough money to live better than most workers, and your working part time.... maybe going back to the south is a better idea for me. I can get a nice beach condo for like 3000 pesos a month, share it with a friend and live cheap and luxurious... thats starting to sound nicer, but I really wanted to try the big city life for a bit!

also, so i dont have to create another post, is this a credible site? I wanted to get a certificate just because.... I actually love teaching english and would like to hone my skills, I know its not needed in latin countries, but maybe I will teach elsewhere one day :D http://www.tesolexpressonline.com/OnlineCourses

Really I thank you all for your input its helped me think a lot about what to do and avoid.

Azagarth, when did you live here? Was it before or after the cepo cambiario? Was it before or after import restrictions? A lot of the people who are answering this thread have been here for a long time (5-8-10yrs etc). We've seen how things are slowly (and now not so slowly) headed into the crapper.

Most of the people responding are here because we have families, we're well commited to the country -- GS-Dirtboy, Ghost, PhilipDT, Sivan, Risu, mariposa, Montauk_Project, nlaruccia etc -- we're some of the old cronies on this board! LOL it's kind of funny when I see that list, we really have been around for ages. I think most of us on this thread have an Argentine partner and kids.

So I know we can sound negative, but it's because we've already been through some ups and downs -- we've probably seen it when it's been affordable, and are now seeing it when it's getting really tough. If you have USD to change on the black market you can live quite well, but if you're on pesos, your wallet is really going to feel the pinch.

If your numbers say it will be cheaper while studying than staying back home, by all means come down and enjoy, but keep a return ticket in case you want to bail. Having to buy a one-way home that originates in Argentina comes with a 20% tax on the cost of the ticket -- which I'm sure after the elections in October will be raised to 40%. Much cheaper to buy a return ticket from the USA and pay an extension fee if necessary, then buy a ticket originating here. Especially as some airlines are already stopping their services to Argentina because it's impossible for them to do business -- 18mos from now you may be stuck for choice as to airlines, and I'm sure flight prices will be through the bloody roof by then, not that they aren't already compared to even 12 mos ago.

When I was here as a single guy I had women routinely offer me between U$S25,000 and U$S50,000 to marry them and get them to the US. If you want to risk your passport that is one way that you can pay off your loans fast.

FYI - you won't learn this kind of thinking in B-School. :)

Good luck!

Was just last year actually, so not to long. But yes I did see the decline while I was there too, but thats the whole world right now. Its cool to know there is a tight knit group here of expats. I loved the women and had fun during my stay, I am not opposed to staying for extended times, but ultimately I would like to return to the states when the kids get up closer to junior high age (obviously waaay into the future, things change). I just think the school system is much better in the states, and well safety.

Ah I definitely need to look into the ticket thing. I know I will probably be down there the start of 2014 until mid 2015, so a year and a half, and I know the airlines only let you book a year out for returns from what I saw. So all I would do is when that date comes up is call them and extend it a few months more? If you can fill me in a bit more it would be super helpful. ANother question you might be able to help with. I assume you can buy a return ticket with pesos right? I will probably have a surplus if I stay in the south, so might as well use them somewhere since I cant carry them home and exchange haha.

Thanks for the help :D

haha well, I guess that would be a fast way to pay off debt :D but seriously.... I wouldent do something like that. But there are some very cute good girls that I would not be upset if we married :D and they do want to come here. I assume you have a arg wife?

Was just last year actually, so not to long. But yes I did see the decline while I was there too, but thats the whole world right now. Its cool to know there is a tight knit group here of expats. I loved the women and had fun during my stay, I am not opposed to staying for extended times, but ultimately I would like to return to the states when the kids get up closer to junior high age (obviously waaay into the future, things change). I just think the school system is much better in the states, and well safety.

Ah I definitely need to look into the ticket thing. I know I will probably be down there the start of 2014 until mid 2015, so a year and a half, and I know the airlines only let you book a year out for returns from what I saw. So all I would do is when that date comes up is call them and extend it a few months more? If you can fill me in a bit more it would be super helpful. ANother question you might be able to help with. I assume you can buy a return ticket with pesos right? I will probably have a surplus if I stay in the south, so might as well use them somewhere since I cant carry them home and exchange haha.

Thanks for the help :D

haha well, I guess that would be a fast way to pay off debt :D but seriously.... I wouldent do something like that. But there are some very cute good girls that I would not be upset if we married :D and they do want to come here. I assume you have a arg wife?
Listen Azagarth, this site makes US immigration folks look like pussy cats. If you survive this grilling you're home free actually being here. You're a determined, idealistic and driven young man. Go follow your heart and your head. Suck up the mistakes you make along the way blaming no one but yourself and have fun. The sage advice being offered here is because the learned and seasoned expats really care enough to try and ensure newbies arrive street wise to Bsas reality but at the end of the day it is human nature for us all to think we know best and make our own mistakes. Be sure to stay on the board and keep us posted on your progress. Maybe, just maybe it will all pan out as you plan and granny will learn to suck eggs after all.

Azagarth, it sounds like your thinking of coming down here, living a middle class lifestyle albeit you dont have any job prospects, while studying & finding an Argentine girl and then taking her back to the US!! While not speaking much Spanish...

It sounds a little crazy...and I dont really rate the idea much, but hey some of the things I have done along the way people around me have thought I was/am pretty crazy too so I am not going to tell you not to do it. Risks and experiences make people, comfort zone/conservatism doesnt. If your young you can afford a few errors and given you dont have kids (I assume) your decisions & the consequences (if any) aren't going to impact as much on those around you.

If you are hell bent on living here I would atleast recommend you save a lot of money, without a job and a certain living situation if you want to live in one of the pricier barrios I would atleast save hard with the budget that it will cost you US$1,500 a month (on the blue) I reckon atleast and that would probably be light on for the first cpl of months when you will spend more getting a hang of things.

I would also lower your expectations, it will be difficult for you to find a job (miracles permiting) and as well as studying I think you will have your work cut out. But, if you come here more to have fun then anything, learn spanish, study and dont need a job just to eat I would bet youll be ok. Good luck!

Back