Looking for apartment for 6 months to a year

Am also looking for furnished flat, but having problems because we want to rent for 9 months and many of the more tourist oriented sites have a 6 month limit as well as all the rent in advance. The spanish sites seem more reasonable or do they want guarantors as well?

irishvan said:
Am also looking for furnished flat, but having problems because we want to rent for 9 months and many of the more tourist oriented sites have a 6 month limit as well as all the rent in advance. The spanish sites seem more reasonable or do they want guarantors as well?

you can rent without problem for 9 month. you only need to sign two 6 month contracts. some one will do it in same name too but it is better if you have in each contract a different name or for couple both names in both contracts.

if you rent "temporario" you don't need a guarantee. only for 2 year contracts you need a guarantee or at least 3 month income declaration and must pay at least 6 month in advance (better the whole time).

JoeKelly711 said:
We would like to pay $500-600 USD per month. We obviously want a safe area and need to have internet. No TV or phone required as we do not watch tv and we will be using pre-paid phones.

Each area is safe here in BsAs (depending you are not going out in Boca to say "he guys I am a Gringo"). Most expats want to be in Palermo or Recoleta but thats are the more expensive areas.

In that ones it is very hard to find anything in your range. with 700U$+ you are welcome there. If you go to Almagro, Montserrat, San Nicolas or Belgrano (excl. Las Canitas) you can find something in that range but it is very time intesive to find it and often many appartments are very bad or have very old furniture.

You can rent for 9 months -- find an apartment and sign for a 6 month contract (generally speaking, they will not give you more if you are a foreigner because they don't want to end up with problems getting you out). A month or so before your 6 month contract ends, negotiate for another 3-6months. Try not to sign for 6 months, try to get just 3. Be aware that after the 6 months 1) they will try to up your rent, 2) they will try to get another commission out of you, 3) if you sign for 6 months and leave early you can say goodbye to your deposits etc unless you have the time to sit around and argue for a month or so after you leave the apartment to get it back.

In the time you are there try not to even break a single plate, because they will try to make sure they don't have to give you back your deposit.

syngirl said:
You can rent for 9 months -- find an apartment and sign for a 6 month contract (generally speaking, they will not give you more if you are a foreigner because they don't want to end up with problems getting you out). A month or so before your 6 month contract ends, negotiate for another 3-6months. Try not to sign for 6 months, try to get just 3. Be aware that after the 6 months 1) they will try to up your rent, 2) they will try to get another commission out of you, 3) if you sign for 6 months and leave early you can say goodbye to your deposits etc unless you have the time to sit around and argue for a month or so after you leave the apartment to get it back.

In the time you are there try not to even break a single plate, because they will try to make sure they don't have to give you back your deposit.

your information aren't not 100% correct.

as I told you can sign up in front for 9 month with 2 contracts. The agent/owner will not have any problem even you are a foreigner. Problems to get people out exist only for 2 year contract if you are living 2 year + 1 day there but even in that way they can you kick out without any problems as I know from a friend of mine.

The only stuff that is right is that the law says that a temporary contract is NOT renewable. If you have 2 contracts with different names (1 to you and 1 to your couple) there will not be any problem against the law too.

ad 1) signing up 9 month (2 contracts) in front don't will increase your rent after 6 month for the new signable contract. you will get same price for up to 1 year without any problem - forget all other agent/owner who want you cash up each 6 month.

ad 2) same as above you don't need to pay again a 1 month commision for the second contract up to 1 year - there are a lot of agents who do this but they are only interested to cash you up. acceptable is to pay a max. of 1 1/2 commission for 1 year but also that is rare.

ad 3) thats correct. but some ones will give you the deposit back if you will inform them at least 2 month before you leave. but this isn't guaranteed

About the deposit : there are a lot of black sheeps on the road and you will have often big troubles to get your deposit back. But there is a very easy way to be more secure :

.) Don't sign any inventary list in their office or outsite the appartment - only with sign control because often the inventary list isn't correct or in the appartment is missing something and they will cash you up for that.

.) Do some fotos before of the appartment send this fotos per email to the agent/owner and let them confirm back the condition. write a note to the inventary list something like "condition additionaly declared by photos awaiting confirmation from agent/owner".

.) if you damage any plate or something (can happen) buy a new one before you give back the keys. This is much cheaper as they will cash you hard to buy a new one. Be sure that they will not buy a new one - they only cash you :)

bye alex

Hello Everyone;
Federal Argentine Law 23.091 only recognizes two type of Lease Agreements: Short term also known as Temporary Lease Agreements and long term or Regular Leases. According the mentioned Law a Temporary Lease Agreement shall not last longer than 180 days while a Regular Lease can last up to 2 years. It's important to remark that this nothing has to do with the origin and/or Citizenship of the renter. Temporary rentals are intended to people (locals and foreigners) who are in need of a temporary solution to different circunstances (vacation, work relocations, medical travels, home remodeling, etc.) Although these type of Temporary Leases are not well regulated, they usually include furniture, utilities and a guarantor is not required (although a deposit is still necessary). That's why the prices are much higher than for Regular Long Term Leases.
I know a bit since I own an apartment in Palermo which I'm currently renting for temporary Leases. I'm also a licensed Attorney in Argentina and I used to worked as a Paralegal in the States. I hope this can be of any help. If you have other questions or any comments please be my guest at: [email protected]
Have a great day,

juliette said:
That's why the prices are much higher than for Regular Long Term Leases.

That was about up to 2007. Beginning with 2008 - especially in 2009/2010 - you are often cheaper to rent a "short term" apartment as a "long term" one because of the real high inflation the additional costs on a "long term" must be paid from the rent side.

Kelly y Jose.. The apartment you found for 600 per month; was that furnished or unfurnished? how long was the lease? how much is the deposit?

..I'm moving to BA in September with my girlfriend and are looking for something up to 600 per month.

THanks for your support, and any tips from anyone else much appreciated!!

Gareth

onmywaytoBA said:
Kelly y Jose.. The apartment you found for 600 per month; was that furnished or unfurnished? how long was the lease? how much is the deposit?

90-95% of temporary rent is furnished and only 5-10% are unfurnished. 2 year (with garantia) lease is reverse.

the lease for temporary lease will not be more thatn 6 month (down the laws). If you are a couple and the agent/owner will have no trouble you can sign 2 contracts to get 1 year full rent.

Usual deposit is 1 month (some ones will 2 month if you rent about 1 or 2 years) and you need to pay 1 month of agent commision each 6 month (temprary) and mostly 2 month for 2year lease (garantia lease).

But all is depending the agent/owner. There are a lot of who want only to cash you as "Gringo" for each stuff. And only some few who don't do it in that way.

What you can do I know from experience is rent for 9 months; is a 6 months contract plus a reservation for the next 3 months, and as said it doesn´t matter being foreigner or not, as long as you purposes are transitory an din general de furnished onces are still more expensive than the non furnised onces. Paying all ahead can work out well getting a price cut as lomng as you take your precautions..

Back