Looking For German (Or Other) Speaking Neighborhoods

Martinez and San Isidro are known as the "deutsche Kolonie". There live a lot of people with German roots. In Belgrano I do not know where, but you should look for the "Pestalozzi Schule" which is the second German school in BA, the other one is the "Goethe Schule" in San isidro (or close to it, don´t know exactly). The German Embassy is also located in Belgrano.
Check out the german newspaper Argentinisches Tageblatt.

Viele Grüße,
Julia

Just wondering where you go that "less than 5%" statistic.

I'd say that probably about 20% to 25% of Argentina is "of German extraction". That's an even higher percentage than the US, where for a long time people of German heritage made up the largest single group of any heritage group in the US. You might be confusing "Argentina" with "Buenos Aires".

Wiki says this:

[/size][/font][/color]
This doesn't even include the "Volga Germans".

Always learn something new ... croissants are of German Origin..! 50,000 German Citizens live in Buenos Aires. wow.

My wife's father family immigrated from Germany. Wife speaks excellent German. She grew up in Martinez.

She went to the Goethe school in SI.

We went to Gral Belgrano in Cordoba . Truly seemed like a Bavarian town. Went to another place (?), in Cordoba and stayed in a German hotel , and was same thing , a little Bavaria. If only the beer was as good.....

German immigrants could not have been more than 10%. From what I know, spanish + Italian immigrants were 85%, if not more.

The zona norte is where the most german immigrants lived in Baires. You also have Villa Gral Belgrano, and other little villages in Corrientes, Misiones provinces and Entre Rios, probably the most big settlements of german immigrants are in that province.

The Pestalozzi School is a dismemberment of the Goethe. During the WWII lots of parents disagreed with the educational plans the Goethe had, served by the german embassy. They were nazi. So they opened a new school, with more open ideas, more "progre" and separated from German embassy.

It's a little easier in southern Chile, but even that's overrated for German speakers. Viel Glück!

I know some Germans for the embassy and they live all over the place. Some in Palermo, others in Puerto Madero -BASF is there- and some in Olivos, San Isidro area and some in Belgrano. What makes the main difference is whether they have kids or not and if the kids go to Goethe Schule. Those with kids will tend to be in Belgrano/Olivos/ San Isidro to be close to the school. Also, the embassy is in Belgrano. So looking for something close to the school and embassy will increase your chances to meet a German person on the street. Still, I think going to events organized by the embassy is a better way to meet people. Same goes for the French community. They are also located all over the city, from Recoleta to Olivos. I think staying close to the schools and embassies is a good way to increase your chances.
Good Luck.

Back