Looking for guidance - apartment hunting

Did you end up finding a place? I'll be looking for one next month!
Hi Lidia - is your question for me? I still don't fully understand how these threads work haha. If yes, the answer is yes! I found a place in Almagro, right in the center of the city. I was way off target looking in Palermo (too touristy), Recoleta (too ritzy) and San Telmo (too touristy and and a little dirty). Almagro is the perfect fit for me. Let's link up when you get here :)

L

So many pretty girls moving to our city. Our city is so lucky. Thank you, girls.

I never rented an apartment in BA. I bought one, right after I moved to the city.

What's a "Guarantia?".

Ceviche, no seas baboso. It's creepy. :confused:

A garantia is basically collateral for renting an apartment. An asset (usually a house or apartment) that you or someone on your behalf puts up to guarantee you'll pay rent/expenses. You can also get one from a bank and there are lending/insurance companies that specialize in this.

John Doe, "I never rented an apartment in BA. I bought one, right after I moved to the city. What's a "Guarantia?".

A "garantia" is required to rent an apt with a 2-yr lease. The tenant must have a DNI. Some owners will agree to exceptions if the tenant is willing to pay the equivalent of X months' rent in advance. Example...4 payments during the 24-month contract. Utilities: electricity, gas, water, cable/internet service are paid monthly in addition to the rent. The majority of these apts are unfurnished.

The alternative is a furnished short-term rental unit. Usually available for up to a 6-month period. The rent on short-term units can be paid in dollars or pesos and the utilities may be included, or not, in the contract.

Last edited:
Why do I think that the folks asking where they should live wouldn't qualify to rent an apartment?
I may be wrong, but I think that short term apartment rentals can be very expensive.

Back