looking for shabby apartment :)

hellotansy

Registered
hurro

i just got here, and am looking for an apartment for a year-long lease, which seems to put me right in the alquileres temporarios category...

which would be fine, but it seems like porteños and inmobiliarias have a pretty fixed idea of what foreigners are looking for - everything i've seen is modern and much more upscale than i'm interested in.
the weird thing is that wherever i go, i see lovely peeling old buildings with rickety furniture in...

any tips on how to rent some shabby unfashionable apartment somewhere boring like caballito, instead of some clinical monoambiente in recoleta or attempt-at-loft in san telmo?

much appreciated!

I imagine you've searched this site under the obvious key words - funny that you haven't found your answers - it's a very commonly discussed topic. Essentially what you want doesn't fit BsAs categories: temporary, furnished rentals are for 3 months, permanent unfurnished are for two years with a break clause in the middle. Permanent rentals can only be offered to people with an entitlement to live there for two years - so that rules out tourists on tourist visas. You also need a garantia for a permanent rental - you know those shops that display posters that say 'Credit will only be given to persons aged 80 or over, accompanied by both parents' ?? Well getting a garantia is a bit like that though offering to pay six months or a year up front sometimes works. I'd strongly suggest you have another look through the baexpats search facility before you make any decisions, though.

Strange. I've had no difficulty finding "shabby" in BA... even when I wasn't really looking for it. :p

I'm surprised you've had a difficult time finding "shabby" in Buenos Aires. :p I haven't had any issue finding shabby even when I wasn't looking for it!

I have some neighbors who are just now cleaning out their 2 BR PH from the last tenants of about 2 years. I suppose they are looking for new takers, although I have no idea about the terms, what I can say that it's a VERY nice place in a quiet residential area in Santa Rita/Villa del Parque, and the neighbors are GRRREAT :D
I don't think that it is furnished at all though.
If this isn't out the question for you, PM me and I can find out for you.

Back