Looking for two French Girls-- Rental Advice

HoboZero

Registered
Sorry if this isn't as tantalizing as the title made it out to be.

The thing is this. We're renting an apt and as has happened to so many on these forums, the dueños are trying to take us for ride with respect to our substantial deposit. I plan on filing a denuncia with AFIP, since I doubt they are paying their taxes. I am trying to contact the previous tenants who live here to see if they still have their contract to add to the arsenal.

All I know is this:

The apartment is on Mansilla 2838
The previous tenants spoke French.
One of them may have had an American boyfriend
They left six months ago.

I would like to put the call out to anyone who may them or knows someone who knows them. Any help in casting a net would be greatly appreciated.

For everyone else, some advice on renting an apartment.

• Make sure you get a photocopy of the owner's DNI and his/her CUIT number.
  • They should also present you with something that you should be able to copy that shows they have the standing to rent the property, a deed or something.
  • Get signed receipts when you pay your rent.
  • The owner's have a responsibility to file your contract with AFIP. With their CUIT, you can tell whether of not this has been done by entering their CUIT in the AFIP website here. It's a powerful tool during any conflict.

Our owner seemed like the most mellow trustworthy couple on the planet, and perhaps they continue to be to people whom they consider more than a human ATM machine.

We didn't realize the importance of getting the CUIT until recently. If anyone knows how I can get my hands on that number (all we have is his DNI), I'd really appreciate any advice.

Please help!

If memory serves me right , the cuit or cuil is directly related to the dni . it would be the dni and a prefix or a suffix. PM the worms dni and Ill see what i can do about geting you the cuil and or cuit.
Kno wthis , I have to rip you a bit. This is the land that if someone CAN screw you , they WILL screw you . Its cultural here , almost like a DUTY to screw anyone that drops his/her guard.
LEARN from this. Also , KNOW that there is almos a 100% chance that they dont file their taxes. Confront them , in the precense of a lawyer and let them know you are serious.
PM Bajo_Cero , Im sure he is savvy on this issue , hes a lawyer.

Have you already left the apt?

Do you have photographic evidence of the apt and the condition that it was in before you left?

It doesn't help now but I have never moved out of an apt without having the deposit in cash in my hand when I left or having notification that it was deposited in my account (when I rented through agencies). If they want to mess around, you can just refuse to leave the apt.

At this stage, I would definitely recommend getting a lawyer if the owner hasn't returned the deposit and you aren't in the apt any longer.

Sorry to hear about his.:(

My understanding is that rentals need to be registered with AFIP for tax purposes only if they exceed $8,000/month , or if the landlord also owns other properties that combined exceed that amount

Fabe said:
This is the land that if someone CAN screw you , they WILL screw you . Its cultural here , almost like a DUTY to screw anyone that drops his/her guard.

I have heard enough stories from Argentine landlords who were cheated by foreigner tourists...they just left without paying and took things from the apartment. It is not the culture, it is the lack of control. Remove law enforcement from Norway and see what happens.

The level of bias in this forum is appalling and does not make much justice to the great Argentines I have mt so far.

AFAIK photos are not considered as true evidence here, just "indicios" or something like that (if a specialized lawyer reads this, he/she might help).

If the owner tries to scam your deposit pretending the apartment is in poor condition then you have the possibility asking for an escribano to come to the place when you give back the keys (fees are to be shared 50/50 between the LL and you).

Getting a lawyer, why not. But then you have to compare the lawyer's fees & the amount involved in the dispute.

There is also the option of contacting an association of inquilinos, there are quite a few (some of them even have online ressources).

Provide more details if you can as to what the LL could possibly argue to keep the deposit. We are quite a bunch on this forum with a solid experience of such situations (I got screwed too! But never again will this happen... :) )

Hey , amargo , show me a great argentine . No one who SAIS hes great , a genuine great argentine. Front and Center.
Been here a loooooog time , and I still cant find a one that wont pull yer pants down
wake up

I know i wrote that with a hot head .
Seriously , id like to see the numbers on that . Argentine landlords ripped off by tennants. I find that statement unrealistic.
Someone should start a poll. Id bet that the number of tourists and tennants would be much larger than landlords in having gotten taken

HoboZero is my parner--we're still in the apartment until Friday. The owners haven't actually stiffed us YET, but there are too many signs pointing to them wanting to.

Thanks Fabe and 2guysinPM for the CUIT offer/link, we're looking it up and will follow up with AFIP tomorrow just to make sure that we have ammo when and if it comes time to fight. We also have an Argentine friend (no, not a lawyer or an escribano) who wants to be here when we do check-out to "witness" the process and to also help us later if it turns out that they want to screw us.

Our problem is that we're flying to Chile on Friday and that the owners are refusing to come to the apartment a day early to review and advise us if there is any reason at all they will be keeping any part of our deposit.

I ran into them on the street today and they advised "quedate tranquilo" as if all was well and there will be no hitches with "check out". However, earlier today the owner implied a threat that they have a signed contract stating we'd be here through the end of the month, even though we let them know we'd be moving out on the 13th in October. In spite of the fact that we're leaving the country, we have enough friends and resources in town that we can create quite a headache for them if they decide to fuck with us. We have done no damage to the apartment, and in fact have only made improvements (installed screens, sewn curtains, etc.).

Damn that mala onda! I am really hoping to leave Buenos Aires after nearly six years on a positive note...

Back