Looking for two French Girls-- Rental Advice

Hi MizzMarr,

Sad to know you leave. We never met but your posts always showed you are a nice person.

Did the owner accept that you leave on the 13th of january? Any email to prove that? Even an email is not a definitive proof if I'm right here (like a picture), just an "indicio" or something like that (hoping a local Attorney will confirm this).

Otherwise (and you obviously don't need answers from the forum to know that) you are indeed bound by your contract.

It seems a negotiation would be needed rather than a fight in that case (if the owner was fair with you otherwise, it wouldn't be right to make him trouble, but that's me).

In this case maybe you should get back your deposit less the remaining days until the end of the month and that would be the best?

The owner (and some members of the forum are owners too) definitely has a strong card in his hands: the contract.

Anyway, sorry for bringing such an answer to your post (more and more people are leaving BA it seems).

They ALWAYS seem like the nicest people on the planet. Thats part of the scam.

I agree that if you break the contract and leave a month early, say, you could lose the deposit because that's what the contract says. But if the contract is until the end of Jan and if you have already paid for the month of January, you're not actually 'breaking' the contract, you're just vacating the apartment a few days early. For anybody who knows about these things, can they still keep the deposit when you've actually met your obligations for the last month? ie rent, bills, expensas are paid?

You are correct but this is an expat forum. You should expect extreme bias and hysterics. Just look at the Au pair thread. Most of the people on here are landless expat tenants, that and the random self hating Argentine. The OP hasn't even stated any facts other than saying " the property owner is trying to take us for a ride " and already half the forum is in a frenzy bad mouthing property owners and Argentinians alike. It's rather comical actually.

Someone who actually owns property in Argentina and has rented it out to fly by night tourists has a much different and possibly more accurate perspective.

Remember where you're at. Don't go to the republican convention and ask why everybody is hating on and making borderline racist comments about Obama. Take it with a grain of salt.

Amargo said:
I have heard enough stories from Argentine landlords who were cheated by foreigner tourists...they just left without paying and took things from the apartment. It is not the culture, it is the lack of control. Remove law enforcement from Norway and see what happens.

The level of bias in this forum is appalling and does not make much justice to the great Argentines I have mt so far.

I cant agree with you blackhand.
I own property here , I was born here. I was rasied in the States, I came back and went to HS here , then I returned. I tried to do buissiness here in 94 , and we employed a fair ammount of people . That ended when a "persona muy seria" skipped town on us with over a quarter million dollars. This was our reprsentative in argentina.
This is but ONE of the experiences i lived that has given me the confidence to make such a call , even if that is one that puts bonarenses in the bad light.
Would I ever allow a bonarense to handle my monies or the futures of my employees ? Never again !
I speak only for myself . I HAVE made rather terse comments that perhaps you interpret as this or that.
I dont talk out my arse. The comments I make are sadly based on experiences lived. I would hope that those that comment on how they got had , the bad service , and all the other minutia that is part and parcel of buenos aires -do so based on their experiences
And i think that the average member of the forum is an educated person that has travel experiences not limited to just argentina and the States.

Interesting. At the AFIP office I mentioned out rent, $1100, and she seemed to think that it needed to be registered, though she didn't seem too sure.

zapatosgoma said:
My understanding is that rentals need to be registered with AFIP for tax purposes only if they exceed $8,000/month , or if the landlord also owns other properties that combined exceed that amount

Looks like you were spot on. The minimum appears to be $8,000/mo, and even that doesn't take effect until 2013, unless I'm misunderstanding. It seems surprising since I thought all property lenders had an extra tax obligation. I'd appreciate anyone who knows the mechanics of how this works so renters have something to bargain with when threatened.

Source

that may be true for a new rental tax , but im so sure the fella has to report that income , wheter he gets it from rentals or if he gets it from his job as an organ grinder monkey

Back