Looking for work in Buenos Aires

oliverj26

Registered
Hi everyone
I arrived to Buenos Aires around a month ago and am currently looking for work. I´m a 26 year old kiwi who was previously working as an Accountant in New Zealand.
I´m fully aware that it is highly unlikely I will be able to do that type of work here, but was hoping there maybe some other opportunites out there in the business sector.
Please let me know if you have or know of any opportunities that may be available, then I can send you my CV to look at.
Much Appreciated
Oliver

Oliver - I don't have a lot of info for you I'm sorry as I'm not an accountant - but I'm a fellow kiwi, and have lived here for 5 years, so I know some of the ins and outs of getting around here, and some of the advantages/barriers to being a kiwi in Argentina looking for work. PM me if you want info or to ask questions/chat about getting sorted.

Why can't we have a "sticky" thread (that stays at the top of the home page) that makes it clear that moving to Buenos Aires with the idea of finding a job (and/or living here cheaply) is not realistic?

steveinbsas said:
Why can't we have a "sticky" thread (that stays at the top of the home page) that makes it clear that moving to Buenos Aires with the idea of finding a job (and/or living here cheaply) is not realistic?

Agreeish...finding a job is very possible as I have witnessed with many expats but execting to maintain prior seniority, salary or status unless you have fluent Spanish and transferrable skills is where the dream falls short!

If you have awesome Spanish and English and papers, you're a shoe-in. Finding an English-only position here is quite possible, but usually both are needed. (After all, if it's an international company, what good are you going to be if you can't bridge the language gap?) If you can't manage both fluently -- and I mean fluently with little to no non-native accent -- I probably wouldn't bother trying.

On the other hand, no non-native speaker starts out speaking well. If it's possible for you to come here for a while and make money through an online business or something, try that route. I started learning Spanish in a town of 5,000 people in central Missouri, USA. After living here off and on since 2008 and dating an Argentine (soon to marry) for a year, most people here never even know I'm from the United States. I was working in Ecuador earlier this year, and most people just assumed I was from Argentina or Uruguay.

My point is not to gloat, but rather to say, "Think outside the box." What are your skills? What do you enjoy? And how can you apply those to some sort of self-operated business? If you can get here and make it initially, you can start learning the language, implement your plan, and see where it takes you. The worst thing that will happen is failure, and what does that matter if you die (Heaven forbid) a year from now without having done anything?

Hi Dolly, as a fellow Kiwi who has been here for 3 months I am curious as to what you have found to be the 'advantages' of being a Kiwi in Argentina? I have found work but am wondering if I should try and get my DNI so I can work in 'white' ( I have the 9 month working visa available for Kiwis). And how have you stayed for 5 years, living on the 3 month tourist visa for that long? Anyway if you have any advice would be great!

Oliver - I contacted a bunch of study abroad organisations and Spanish schools searching for work as student coordinator/reception etc. Seems they are always looking for native English speakers so maybe give it a go also as it worked out for me. Good luck!

Dolly said:
Oliver - I don't have a lot of info for you I'm sorry as I'm not an accountant - but I'm a fellow kiwi, and have lived here for 5 years, so I know some of the ins and outs of getting around here, and some of the advantages/barriers to being a kiwi in Argentina looking for work. PM me if you want info or to ask questions/chat about getting sorted.

Back