Looking For Work

solita

Registered
Hi there, wise fellow expats.

In need of some job advice/employment. I have a BA (from Yale) and a PhD (from UCLA) in English lit. Been living in BA off and on for about two years, doing some teaching, editing, communications/project management work. People think that I'm crazy for wanting to remain in BA, particularly when I have robust connections and opportunities back home in the States, but I love the city and I have an Argentine partner. It hasn't been difficult for me to get part-time gigs, but long-term work has been tougher to find, especially since I am not fluent in Spanish (though I do read it well). I'm a curious, smart, and meticulous worker who understands the nuttiness of doing business in Argentina. Any thoughts about how someone with my background might find a long-term position in Buenos Aires?

PS- I'm in Los Angeles for my commencement right now, so I'm in a position to throw in some peanut butter for anyone who offers suggestions...

Gracias!

A six pack of Dr. Pepper will almost guarantee a job and

from Dublin, Tx a good job.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to stay in Buenos Aires. Just this afternoon, I was discussing with a coworker why I stay here, despite the fact that it is economic suicide.

However, I do think you are mis-guided in wanting to look for long term work that pays in PESOS. I would focus my energies (and in fact, recently I have been doing exactly that) on using contacts to find ways of getting paid in a different currency.

Practically speaking, this means working freelance. But you have the skills and qualifications to be an editor, writer, or even translator depending on your level of Spanish. I would focus on that, because being paid in pesos SUCKS.

Disclaimer: I have been paid in pesos for 6 years and, when calculated using the blue rate, my salary is less than what I made in my first post-university job 17 years ago. When the exchange was 3.2 to 1 and relatively no inflation, life was good. Now, not so much.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to stay in Buenos Aires. Just this afternoon, I was discussing with a coworker why I stay here, despite the fact that it is economic suicide.

However, I do think you are mis-guided in wanting to look for long term work that pays in PESOS. I would focus my energies (and in fact, recently I have been doing exactly that) on using contacts to find ways of getting paid in a different currency.

Practically speaking, this means working freelance. But you have the skills and qualifications to be an editor, writer, or even translator depending on your level of Spanish. I would focus on that, because being paid in pesos SUCKS.

Disclaimer: I have been paid in pesos for 6 years and, when calculated using the blue rate, my salary is less than what I made in my first post-university job 17 years ago. When the exchange was 3.2 to 1 and relatively no inflation, life was good. Now, not so much.

When I first started work in BA 3 years ago my salary was really good but now the inflation has eaten it away and my pay rises haven't kept pace. I feel a bit like a student again 12 years after graduation. ;(

Sorry for the duplicate post, tablet mishap and then people started replying to both. Indeed, guachita- youthful folly ;) Thanks for sharing your advice and stories- I've been paid in pesos for the last seven months, so I'm familiar with the pain of inflation!

I am similar to you: BA in History from Columbia. It is nice thing to have on your CV, but it isn´t going to get you jobs. I studied a second career in Buenos Aires. I didn´t go back to school to get another degree, I took technical classes. It was cheap, I improved my Spanish and got marketable skills. I also made a lot of contacts in the classes, contacts that I still use to this day. I choose filmmaking (my technical focus is editing, though I can also operate a camera). I can work locally or for international clients, and I get to use the soft skills I used in my university education. Thanks to forums and youtube I can also keep up on new technological developments.
While I always liked movies and made some shorts in high school, I never even took a class in this in New York. I also studied the job market here: while filmmaking seems like a crazy career choice in the US, it isn´t in Buenos Aires.
Don´t be limited by English teaching and translating. I did it for a while and it wasn´t for me.
Maybe you are a clothing designer, a nurse or a carpenter. . . find your passion and get the skills you need to make it happen. I had some lean years but now am doing pretty well, if you can rely on your partner while you possition, give it a shot.
ps--"dame mani" is really good, no need to bring PB back.

For what it's worth,…

You might send your CV to The Buenos Aires Herald.

It's the oldest English language newspaper in Latin America.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/

Back