Looking how to open a bank account in USA

I am going to check out the corporate account opening procedure. You can completely incorporate online in Virginia and I believe a director of the corporation can open the account and possibly by a certified document.

If your "corporation " has no taxable activity you don't have to file taxes for it.

If I think of it I'll report back what I find if there is interest.

Chase will open a account with any foreign issued ID but you also need to show proof of holding a US address (bill, rental contract, etc)

If you have a good bit of money, Citi Bank offers a Global Banking Account, these are US-based accounts (you can choose either NYC or Miami) for people living abroad of any nationality and can be opened by anyone anywhere (with 2 forms of ID) but you have to have a minimum amount. You can choose to have the account in dollars or euros.

flurec said:
I am going to check out the corporate account opening procedure. You can completely incorporate online in Virginia and I believe a director of the corporation can open the account and possibly by a certified document.

If your "corporation " has no taxable activity you don't have to file taxes for it.

If I think of it I'll report back what I find if there is interest.
this sounds very interesting, do report back if you can!

nikad said:
this sounds very interesting, do report back if you can!

Sorry, I just heard back. I got a noncommittal email back but here is the content. My take is that you have to have at least a director of the corporation be here to open the account. It's an interesting option though- you can appoint anyone as a director friend, family etc. You would need to pay to Virginia $100/annually to register the corp and $150-$200 to a lawyer (or $0 to a responsible person) to be your register agent to receive correspondence from the state. That is off the top of my head but the info is all available online and is a super easy process.

Hey Brian!
I think they may be about to open an acct through our website bbt.com. If you are a director and you have the documents for the corporation, I should be able to do it for you. Come over and we can discuss:)

Thank you,
Becky Minnich
Relationship Banker
Broadway, VA
Phone: (540) 901-9846
Fax: (540) 896-5313
Mail code: 434-01-01-00

flurec said:
Sorry, I just heard back. I got a noncommittal email back but here is the content. My take is that you have to have at least a director of the corporation be here to open the account. It's an interesting option though- you can appoint anyone as a director friend, family etc. You would need to pay to Virginia $100/annually to register the corp and $150-$200 to a lawyer (or $0 to a responsible person) to be your register agent to receive correspondence from the state. That is off the top of my head but the info is all available online and is a super easy process.

Hey Brian!
I think they may be about to open an acct through our website bbt.com. If you are a director and you have the documents for the corporation, I should be able to do it for you. Come over and we can discuss:)

Thank you,
Becky Minnich
Relationship Banker
Broadway, VA
Phone: (540) 901-9846
Fax: (540) 896-5313
Mail code: 434-01-01-00

Thanks for posting this. I do not see the benefit or how somebody outside the US would benefit though ? I see the tax benefit. What am I missing?

nikad said:
Thanks for posting this. I do not see the benefit or how somebody outside the US would benefit though ? I see the tax benefit. What am I missing?

It was the only possibility I could think of for an Argentinian to open a US bank account without going to the US.

If you wanted to move your paypal balance to a US bank account and then xoom it to yourself that might be fun until paypal loading via credit card is blocked/limited and/or you get investigated by the AFIP for your credit card usage. My Argentinian friends tell me they can still transfer to paypal at the official rate which I find surprising. Can anyone confirm that?

It would be jumping through a lot of hoops but it may be one way it could be done without having to physically be in the US. If you had someone you knew in the US that you trusted it would be easier for them to just open a personal account.

That's the best I could come up with for the op.

One of my employees who was using the PayPal method just got his credit card blocked from PayPal transactions. He can still spend elsewhere, but not with PayPal.

Back