Looking like a foreigner

walkingtwig said:
You are not really all that mixed in my honest opinion... just a mini version of old europe, with some gringos and asians thrown in.. I've yet to see see any sikhs, hijabs, or mre than a handful of "coloured" to name but a few, like amy k.kaminsky says, argentina is beter descrbed as "melting-pot europeanness"

True that! Gotta say I am glad people here aren't all that different. Saw all kindsa people in Dubai, every group hated the other group and the (self-described) superious groups made it known that they hated everyone else too. But then, that's Dubai! Argentina (with all its flaws) is heaven compared to that crap-hole.

I think my son is the typical 'blend in' guy, he arrived here wearing cargo shorts or Diesel jeans, abercrombie Tshirts and all stars (converse). After 2 years he wore alpargatas, bombachas or Levis jeans, (even with 35 degree as he refused to exchange the cargo shorts for the swim shorts the argentine teenagers wear on the street), and the same old tshirts that (after more then 2 years were completely worn out)...and not to forget the haircut : he had to ask the hairdresser 2 or 3 times to cut the back shorter. and still it was too long for his liking! :eek:
He just moved back to Europe, went to the hairdresser and got a whole new wardrobe :D
PS, he is blond and blue eyed.

OK, go to Normal, Illinois with an ipod.

If someone steals it I will give you mine (80 GB) and it's full of music.

I just hope you like Frank Sinatra, Neil Diamond, and French folk-rock.

He said "cities".

Provo is not a city.
You will never convince me on that one.

However, I do agree with you that not all cities in the world are exactly the same, particularly when it comes to street crime.

There is a huge range of risk in different cities.

Buenos Aires is a picnic compared to someplace like Lagos Nigeria, and its a cesspool of danger compared to Tokyo or, yes, Provo.

That seems pretty obvious- we have a spectrum of cities, with a range of degrees of danger.

Buenos Aires, to me, falls somewhere in the middle, where you need to be somewhat aware, and not flash wealth or expensive goods around, but, where, if you are reasonably cautious, you can get along quite safely.

I have been places much worse, and places much better.

Paranoia is not needed, but being aware that there are pickpockets and bag snatchers, and, in certain neighborhoods at certain times, armed or strongarm robbers, will help you be safe.

People live everyday, in fact, for their whole lives, in cities much worse. If this degree of precaution seems like too much for you, you can go elsewhere. Lots of choices in this world, lots of risk/benefit calculations we each can perform and choose accordingly.

It's just not safe here. I live 3 stops from Diagonal Norte and in 6 years, I've had a break-in and an armed robbery as well as a several cases of theft by professional people. People hang bits of metal and trainers on the railings of my house as a sign for drugs deals and all I can do is keep taking them down... My friend's accountant was mugged at gunpoint two weeks ago, and the relatives of two acquaintances were murdered for money.

Ries said:
Provo is not a city.
You will never convince me on that one.

However, I do agree with you that not all cities in the world are exactly the same, particularly when it comes to street crime.

There is a huge range of risk in different cities.

Buenos Aires is a picnic compared to someplace like Lagos Nigeria, and its a cesspool of danger compared to Tokyo or, yes, Provo.

That seems pretty obvious- we have a spectrum of cities, with a range of degrees of danger.

Buenos Aires, to me, falls somewhere in the middle, where you need to be somewhat aware, and not flash wealth or expensive goods around, but, where, if you are reasonably cautious, you can get along quite safely.

I have been places much worse, and places much better.

Paranoia is not needed, but being aware that there are pickpockets and bag snatchers, and, in certain neighborhoods at certain times, armed or strongarm robbers, will help you be safe.

People live everyday, in fact, for their whole lives, in cities much worse. If this degree of precaution seems like too much for you, you can go elsewhere. Lots of choices in this world, lots of risk/benefit calculations we each can perform and choose accordingly.

Having been to both Tokyo and Lagos (and now Buenos Aires), Lagos is definitely not a city. Lagos is a piece of trash (we had armed security for us and separate security van for our suitcases from the airport to the hotel) that only Nigerians consider to be a city.

For comparison though, I feel much safer in BsAs than I did in either Sao Paulo, Rio or Salvador.

katti said:
I think my son is the typical 'blend in' guy, he arrived here wearing cargo shorts or Diesel jeans, abercrombie Tshirts and all stars (converse). After 2 years he wore alpargatas, bombachas or Levis jeans, (even with 35 degree as he refused to exchange the cargo shorts for the swim shorts the argentine teenagers wear on the street), and the same old tshirts that (after more then 2 years were completely worn out)...and not to forget the haircut : he had to ask the hairdresser 2 or 3 times to cut the back shorter. and still it was too long for his liking! :eek:
He just moved back to Europe, went to the hairdresser and got a whole new wardrobe :D
PS, he is blond and blue eyed.
he,s better off there:confused:

Back