Looking like a foreigner

walkingtwig said:
You are not really all that mixed in my honest opinion... just a mini version of old europe, with some gringos and asians thrown in.. I've yet to see see any sikhs, hijabs, or mre than a handful of "coloured" to name but a few, like amy k.kaminsky says, argentina is beter descrbed as "melting-pot europeanness"

Argentina is not palermo

The street fashion blog that someone posted earlier is cool, but I just went through five pages of it and it basically captures one style-- the wealthy Palermo hipster look. (http://onthecornerstreetstyle.blogspot.com/) But, of course, it's a fashion blog, so that is to be expected.

Maybe try clicking around the different newspaper web sites. This is the first story I clicked on and it has a big line of normal, everyday people you will see walking around during the day.

http://www.clarin.com/politica/demoras-postergan-suba-boleto-marzo_0_643735752.html

Quaho said:
Argentina is not palermo
i dont live in palermo... not even close :)

Mostly argentina is a mix of Europeans who have settled here and who now constitute 85% of the population. Spaniard and italians are the largest but there are several dozen european ethinc groupings in argentina.

The remaining 15% of the population is composed of mestizos (mainly from neighbouring nations), asians, and native americans. (Some experts classify mestizos as europeans, increasing the possible european population percentage to 97%)

Other south ameriacan nationalities: praraguayans, bolivians, chileans, urugayans and brazillians acount for a little over 1750,00 of the population.

about 25,000 japaene and 50,000 afro-argentinians (nearly all of whom live in capital). and there are about 100,000 ameriacan indians.

from a population of around 40 million, that leaves 38 million european/mestizos.. hardly a melting pot.. but like i said it is only MY opinion.

but maybe this should all be a subject for a seperate thread.. as highjacking threads annoys me just as much as the next man :) so my apologies to everyone else in advance.

Don said:
I saw it more as the "Androgynous & Androgynously Friendly Art Student Look".

Just like the 100+ goth kids who hang out in front of the Ministerio de Educacion every Friday & Saturday night, the kids in that blog were "Different"... just like all of their friends.

Typical Argentines are much more basic, t-shirt, dirty, hairy, unkempt, laughing, smoking, "boludo"-ing, "che"-ing, and walking in packs often taking up the entire sidewalk without the slightest notion of personal space.

It's not just a look, it's a way of life to be a porteño.

PhilipDT said:
Thats actually not true. You should try going to some other cities.

nice assumption!, but again.. you are wrong.

and btw i never got robbed in Argentina, so i should believe it's safe?
i know ignorance is a blessing, but give it a break

Well, those people are paraguayans and peruvians I would say.

Don said:
http://www.clarin.com/politica/demoras-postergan-suba-boleto-marzo_0_643735752.html[/URL]

mercjoe said:
Well, those people are paraguayans and peruvians I would say.

Puede ser, although my Argentine neighbors in the neighborhoods I lived in (always Capital Federal, never north of avenida Córdoba) always looked more like the people in the Clarín picture than the slim, white(r), well-dressed man or woman people tend to imagine when they think of a porteño. I guess my point was that you'll see people ranging from the fashion blog look to the newspaper picture and beyond.

I do agree with others that it's more of how you carry yourself than what you wear that will make you blend in, if you're really dead set on not looking foreign. Standing as far out in the street as you can waiting to cross, things like that. Being the only person still on the sidewalk when everyone else is already halfway across the street is always a dead giveaway. ;)

Im pretty light skinned with blonde hair. but I have sideburns, a shitty personal phone, a Sube card, and I wear a River/Seleccion jersey more often than not when I am gonna be roaming the streets.

I also look like I could beat someones ass so I dont really ever concern with getting robbed or anything. and I rock an ipod on the bus

Quaho said:
if you are showing an ipod, iphone, laptops, dsl camera, a watch, you're gonna get robbed.. plain and simple, in every city in the world.

OK, go to Normal, Illinois with an ipod.

If someone steals it I will give you mine (80 GB) and it's full of music.

I just hope you like Frank Sinatra, Neil Diamond, and French folk-rock.

Back