Loosing citizenship

Can I ask what the benefit is of becoming a citizen? Is this just so you don't lose your residency if you leave for 2 years? Are there any other reasons to apply for citizenship?

I'm assuming this was foreigners applying to naturalize as citizens and bribing judicial officials to expedite the process or ignore or falsify missing documents?
This was the first 200 but in total were like 500.
The Secretary of the Court was working with a paralegal selling citizenship.

Clause “d” appears to be the only one a reasonable person could get tripped up on. I remember BajoCero commenting upon this a few years ago. Essentially if a naturalized Argentine citizen represents himself to an Argentine government authority to be a citizen of his country of origin (presenting document / passport of country of origin) his naturalized citizen status can be revoked.

This is interesting, because I remember bajo_cero saying that it is extremely hard to renounce Argentine citizenship if you change your mind later. But the above law seems to contradict this - just show up and use your foreign (non-Argentine) passport, and then you can lose your citizenship? I'm sure it's not that simple, but maybe bajo_cero or someone else can expand on this theoretical example.

This is interesting, because I remember bajo_cero saying that it is extremely hard to renounce Argentine citizenship if you change your mind later. But the above law seems to contradict this - just show up and use your foreign (non-Argentine) passport, and then you can lose your citizenship? I'm sure it's not that simple, but maybe bajo_cero or someone else can expand on this theoretical example.
With all my respect, I ever said that.
You can easily renounce AR citizenship by naturalization.
SC said, and it is an internationally accepted rule, that you can use only the passport of the country you are entering or leaving where you are a citizen because, otherwise, it is an implicit renounce.

You can easily renounce AR citizenship by naturalization.
SC said, and it is an internationally accepted rule, that you can use only the passport of the country you are entering or leaving where you are a citizen because, otherwise, it is an implicit renounce.
Can you further elaborate? Please :)

ley n 21.795

CAPITULO 3
PERDIDA Y CANCELACION DE LA NACIONALIDAD ARGENTINA (artículos 7 al 8)

j) ausentarse del territorio de la República con ánimo de no volver. Esta intención se presume por el
transcurso de DOS (2) años de ausencia continuada si el argentino naturalizado no declarare
formalmente, ante el Consulado argentino correspondiente, su propósito de mantener la naturalización.
La manifestación será asentada en la carta de naturalización por el Cónsul y valdrá por DOS (2) años,
no pudiendo ser renovada. La ausencia del territorio argentino no provocará la cancelación de la
nacionalidad adquirida si obedece al desempeño de una función oficial, encomendada por los
gobiernos Nacional, provinciales o municipales

This seems pretty drastic to me.
Y'all know if this law is still on the books?
And whether this particular provision is routinely enforced?

Does this mean anyone naturalized can't leave for more than 2+2 years without automatically losing citizenship?

Edit:

Artículo 1.- Derógase la Ley de Facto N° 21,795
Artículo 3.- Se declaran inválidas y sin ningún efecto jurídico las pérdidas o cancelaciones
de la nacionalidad argentina, así como también las pérdidas o cancelaciones de la
ciudadanía argentina dispuestas en cumplimiento de los artículos 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 y
concordantes de la ley de facto 21795 y las producidas durante la vigencia de la ley facto

I suppose naturalized expats are safe then?

Last edited:
ley n 21.795

CAPITULO 3
PERDIDA Y CANCELACION DE LA NACIONALIDAD ARGENTINA (artículos 7 al 8)

j) ausentarse del territorio de la República con ánimo de no volver. Esta intención se presume por el
transcurso de DOS (2) años de ausencia continuada si el argentino naturalizado no declarare
formalmente, ante el Consulado argentino correspondiente, su propósito de mantener la naturalización.
La manifestación será asentada en la carta de naturalización por el Cónsul y valdrá por DOS (2) años,
no pudiendo ser renovada. La ausencia del territorio argentino no provocará la cancelación de la
nacionalidad adquirida si obedece al desempeño de una función oficial, encomendada por los
gobiernos Nacional, provinciales o municipales

This seems pretty drastic to me.
Y'all know if this law is still on the books?
And whether this particular provision is routinely enforced?

Does this mean anyone naturalized can't leave for more than 2+2 years without automatically losing citizenship?

Edit:

Artículo 1.- Derógase la Ley de Facto N° 21,795
Artículo 3.- Se declaran inválidas y sin ningún efecto jurídico las pérdidas o cancelaciones
de la nacionalidad argentina, así como también las pérdidas o cancelaciones de la
ciudadanía argentina dispuestas en cumplimiento de los artículos 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 y
concordantes de la ley de facto 21795 y las producidas durante la vigencia de la ley facto

I suppose naturalized expats are safe then?
The resident expert Bajo Cero can probably comment on this

Back