Lord, what a storm!

Redpossum

Registered
I don't know how it was in other parts of CABA, but here in Villa Urquiza it was downright tropical at several points.

As is my way, I made the most of it, having some interesting chats with several people with whom I shared shelter under various awnings as we waited out the worst of it. Most young people don't seem like they want to talk, but my fellow seniors are always up for a casual conversation.

At one point, I was sheltering under the awning in front of the local Cafe Martinez. A lady who had just crossed the street at great personal risk, and then navigated the overflowing gutters and half-flooded sidewalk to reach the same uncertain sanctuary paused and looked at me before entering. I offered, "Que buen tiempo, eh?" and she replied "Tremendo!" with such ripely disgusted irony that I had to laugh out loud. I deeply admire the manner in which argentinos can always summon a sarcastic comment no matter what the circumstances. This poor lady looked like a drowned cat, but her sense of humor was wholly intact.

I visited the house I’m trying to buy on Pilar.

No puddles were evident inside the house so that must be a good sign.

I don't know how it was in other parts of CABA, but here in Villa Urquiza it was downright tropical at several points.

As is my way, I made the most of it, having some interesting chats with several people with whom I shared shelter under various awnings as we waited out the worst of it. Most young people don't seem like they want to talk, but my fellow seniors are always up for a casual conversation.

At one point, I was sheltering under the awning in front of the local Cafe Martinez. A lady who had just crossed the street at great personal risk, and then navigated the overflowing gutters and half-flooded sidewalk to reach the same uncertain sanctuary paused and looked at me before entering. I offered, "Que buen tiempo, eh?" and she replied "Tremendo!" with such ripely disgusted irony that I had to laugh out loud. I deeply admire the manner in which argentinos can always summon a sarcastic comment no matter what the circumstances. This poor lady looked like a drowned cat, but her sense of humor was wholly intact.
In an apartment without air conditioning or a fan it was such a welcome change to work all day today with the windows open. It’s made me a bit homesick, I’ve loved the rain today and the dramatics of the thunderstorm

In an apartment without air conditioning or a fan it was such a welcome change to work all day today with the windows open. It’s made me a bit homesick, I’ve loved the rain today and the dramatics of the thunderstorm
You are not going to be a happy camper in summer.

The sky is now a brilliant red-orange downtown, it's quite something, and my sympathies to those without ACs, we're only in December and the fun is just beginning, not that they will do us any good apparently, as Mondonio told businesses to buy generators if they don't have them...
It's the same every summer for at least the past decade now. That is why we see generator commercials on prime-time TV. I remember 10+ years ago or more dining in Don Julio when the lights went out in the neighborhood, for a whole night and good part of the next day, luckily they cooked with fire and literally did the service by candle (and phone) light which was one of the more memorable meals I have ever had in terms of authenticity factor. I also remember when signing up for EDENOR, in person at their office as was the way back then, the manager was giving me "newcomer" tips to expect power cuts every summer and what to do in case of while ranting and raving for a good part of an hour that no government understands how much it actually costs to produce energy or invest in maintaining production and just want to give it to everyone for free so I had better take my subsidy and not complain when I inevitably lose a fridge full of frozen food etc etc etc.

But have to be thankful after that rain that at least the flooding and scenes of cars floating down streets in Belgrano are a thing of the past ;)

Last edited:
The sky is now a brilliant red-orange downtown, it's quite something, and my sympathies to those without ACs, we're only in December and the fun is just beginning, not that they will do us any good apparently, as Mondonio told businesses to buy generators if they don't have them...
Ugh, what an evil witch.

Apparently she's an economist by training, but will be the Foreign Minister. How exactly does that make sense? In any case, I would seriously question her diplomatic skills, given her performance thus far. She might actually manage to be worse than that hopeless wanker Cafiero.

Huge storms are rare in Buenos Aires but occasionally they are crazy . The worst ones I remember were in the early 2000s when Palermo Soho was a barrio with no luxury shops . At that time the area flooded easily and after one storm from Juan B Justo to Armenia AStreets was a river with cars floating and trees all downed . The winds were ferocious in one particular storm leaving virtually every tree damaged in the neighbourhood !

Back