Lower-Cost Alternatives to BA?

I agree. The thing is, there are most of these aspects elsewhere and for less cost. I've noticed that before, but it's been a while and that's why I was checking in to see what others might have to say for recent info.

Also yes, sometimes finances (limited) can in fact be the determining factor. Basically, if I made more, I would just stay for the several reasons you mentioned Tez.

Just to add, I lived in Europe when I could afford it and only in my honest opinion, BA can't even compare to several spots there (minus the lax immigration of course). It truly is like night and day. Hard to explain unless a person has lived in both locations. But BA is BA, it's own place and that's totally fine. I didn't come looking for Europe or Asia of course. This time around I underestimated the impact of the inflation.

There are many people in the world living where they are and what is the number one reason for them? Finances (lack of in this case). So yes it can be a large factor. It's not that like like being on that type of budget, or that they would not desire to live in places that are more costly to them, it simply what is.

We've met the ones that want to go to the US, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc., but can't. And their reason is simply they can not afford it.

Surely some expats here are financially independent and can afford to move wherever they want, the majority are tied up by jobs, family ties, schooling, children, etc.The original thread refereed to cost of living, not included was cultural life, social affairs, educational opportunities, etc. :D

We all know cost of living has increased in BA as opposed to the lower cost days of before, can anyone comment on nearby and not so nearby alternatives?
A person using $, €, $CAD, etc
Most important would be accomodation and food prices.

*Rosario, Santa Fe, Cordoba, Mendoza, etc (cheaper than BA, or not that much?)
*Uruguay (MVD)
*Chile (Santiago)
*Asuncion
*Brasil (Sao Paulo)
*Colombia
*Panama
*Mexico

I've been to the countries listed but it was a while ago.

Or have times changed in the world where it's just hard to find clear bargains for $, €, etc visitors (global financial crisis)?
Not really up for making it to Vietnam, the Congo, etc. Just not my thing.
Who knows maybe some things will change in BA around the corner and would make it less costly than it is now for some.
Although there are a few other reasons for considering another location.

Thanks anyone sharing whatever info, experiences or opinions they have.
Sure there's the internet to search but you never know what info you'll find here.
For example recently saw a link posted here of a recent article mentioning BA still as a bargain, $400 for a 1br apartment! No way. So the general net is not always accurate.
Those rankings lists also can be off.

Thanks.

The link below is a great site for calculating cost of living. I notice you haven't mentioned Peru and I've heard Arequipa is very inexpensive and nice. BTW, I would highly recomend Chiang Mai Thailand as an inexpensive but very nice place although much smaller than Bas As.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries.jsp

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated.
@davonz, I can confirm what you mentioned for when I was in Medellin. Just not sure of what the fairly recent prices were, especially shelter and food.

Asuncion is mentioned a lot.
ElQueso, are you around? I believe you have some recent info as IIRC it's your wife that is from there.
Is it a nice welcome fairly dramatic lowering of cost vs BA or only somewhat?
I'd imagine renting furnished apartments would be quite more challenging vs BA though, just not quite the supply.

Interesting in that just after making this thread yesterday, came across some typical Argentine (red tape) financial frustrations possibly jeopardizing me continuing at the reasonable 6 peso rate. If I have to go back to ATM withdrawals at the lower rate, BA really won't be as much worth it to me and moving on would seem even more appealing adding in also the other issues around. Going to Uruguay seems to be too much bother too.

...pondering.

Hey man, I saw your request for info and I was going to reply, but I've been so damned busy this week!

This is not a simple issue. The biggest reason that I have stayed here is not because I love Argentina, because I am awed by all the cultural stuff available, because of the beautiful women (being happily married, personally, and finding as many, easily, in Asuncion to look at), but because of one main thing - I have made a life here. I have 7 direct family members through marriage living here, and something like 20+ cousins and even more friends of the family. I have a huge number of expat friends and a few Argentine friends (but many, many acquaintances).

I just haven't felt like moving to Paraguay, which means starting all over again on most of these things.

The cost of living here bothered me quite a bit until the blue rate dollar came along and made things easier. I just don't have the pressure to move because of that now.

I haven't done a BA-Asuncion comparison in over a year as far as prices go. However, the last time I did, while inflation was still moving here, the cost of living was nearly half there, on average, than what it was here. Certainly no higher than 2/3, depending on how you want to live.

Since the meat industry here started going down hill a few years ago and in the last year or two Paraguay has started exporting beef to Argentina, beef prices have risen in Paraguay as a result, but they are still cheaper.

Living can be cheaper, but definitely Asuncion isn't BA in the availability of temporary, furnished apartments. Most apartments that are available that I've taken quick looks at via web pages are offered as "Luxury Apartments" and are quite expensive. But I don't think in terms of renting an apartment there, I think in terms of renting a house, which is more plentiful and in my opinion provides better living space. One thing about Asuncion, downtown isn't particularly a place I'd want to live. I like the Villa Mora area because it has a bunch of decent houses and shopping (the malls are very expensive, but there are a ton of independent shops where quality things can be bought cheaper). San Fernando is good, Villa Elisa, etc. Downtown just isn't very alive. Many, many better places to live unless you are dying for the city experience.

To tell you the truth, given that it's been so relatively long since I've really looked seriously into moving there, I'd hate to tell you that everything is still considerably cheaper there than here. I believe it is, but I can't base that on fact right now. I do know for a fact that where my wife's family lives it's much cheaper, but they live in poverty in a poor area about 350 klicks north west of Asuncion and that doesn't work for a comparison. I doubt you'd want to live there to begin with anyway, although there are good things about it, but it's not for the faint-of-heart nor the rookie (to Paraguay). For starters, not a lot of Spanish is spoken there. Most people speak Guarani. (talk about culture! They absolutely fascinate me!).

I'm not sure what furnished houses are like there. I've always looked for unfurnished. Furniture and electro-domostic stuff can be a bit expensive there, though, like BA.

Things I like about Asuncion:
  • Not hectic, big city living - a slower life (you can find that in Argentina too)
  • People are friendly for the most part and really like foreigners (unlike what I find here in general)
  • People like to do business there, more like what I'm used to. Decent service without attitude. If you want to start a business there, much easier and much less ongoing issues. Of course, also a bit lesser of a local market to sell to (I'd look at some agricultural enterprise that could export - serious money there).
  • Cheaper (I just can't give you the current degree of cheaper-ness)
  • No things like rental laws that make it extremely difficult for a foreigner (or others) to rent decent places. I.e., the guarantee issue doesn't exist (which I think may be why, in conjunction with it not being such a tourist destination, there is no real good temporary market there)
  • Low income taxes for business, and as I understand it (from our lawyer there) no personal income taxes.
  • Better food. I've had better Italian food (on average), as an example, just walking into a restaurant there and ordering something off the menu than going to places here that I've been recommended. Pizza Hut is there (with real pepperoni pizzas!) and other places (although I've seen no Subways or Wendy's). My personal favorite, a bit expensive, is a place called El Paulista which is a brasilian-style churrascaria where they come to your table and cut meats still on the skewer, fresh off the grill, right onto your plate (and a pitcher of lemonade that just really gets me going!). A fairly authentic Mexican food place that is very good, a good Thai place, Chinese etc, etc.
  • No big currency issues like here. You can get dollars out of the ATMs there! However, there are a few issues. For some reason, Paraguayan banks always have some series of US $100 bill that they won't accept. The unacceptable series changes over time. Also, I think they manipulate their currency value a bit at times - the value of the dollar to Guarani often drops something like 10% around the end of the year. I find both of those items to be minor annoyances in comparison to what goes on here.
A good friend of mine, a lawyer from California who lives in BA much of the year, likes Asuncion as well. He recently went to Asuncion and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Paraguayan National Ballet was a world-class outfit. He went two nights in a row to watch a rather erotic (as he commented) show that he said was quite enjoyable, just given their abilities, not the eroticism nor beauty of the female dancers themselves (though obviously that was a big plus for him).

I know a lot of people feel that BA is full of "culture." In my opinion, every place in the world is full of culture, it just depends on what you're looking for as to whether you like it. I'm not into ballet, nor symphonic orchestras, not even plays. That's me. The architecture has some neat stuff here if you're into quasi-European turn-of-the-century stuff, but it's so mixed in with concrete boxes and dirty streets that it just doesn't grab me.

To me, the culture that is most important are the people and the lifestyle. I find too much of Buenos Aires, in that regard, to be quite shallow and less than pleasing. I certainly don't remain here for the culture itself and prefer that of Asuncion. But then, I also don't find the Tango to be very interesting either...and I've come across people who so narrowly define what kind of culture they are looking for here that they are surprised that every expat in Buenos Aires is not here for Tango!

Your best bet is to go spend a little time there and see what you think. A couple of weeks or so would be a good start, I think. I know you've been there before, but go with the explicit idea of looking into moving there. You might have to spend your time in a hotel, but I can recommend a couple of good hotels that are very nice and cheaper than many (or most) tourist rental apartments here.

I see a lot of future opportunity in Paraguay. I'm almost certain that in the next couple of years, as my income and ability to be an entrepreneur increase again, I will find myself moving to Paraguay, most likely Asuncion.

ElQueso, you always have some of the best posts on this entire forum. I always look forward to what you have to say.

ElQueso, speechless! Seriously, what an impressive reply! Above and beyond. I and others thank you.
The world is so busy these days so we appreciate the time you took to write all that. Very helpful, about PY and BA.
Thank you!
I definitely understand you having a nice vast social circle in BA and that's a tremendous plus, very strong reason for continuing and makes it easier for when dealing with some negatives of a place.

Thanks again.
Best to you.

I was in the Peace Corps in Paraguay. As of 2006, you could live comfortably in Asuncion for $500 USD/month. Realistically priced furnished housing is probably the hardest issue with Asuncion, not that it's great in BsAs either.

Asuncion is very isolated and provincial in comparison to Buenos Aires, good luck finding non-local food for example (there is one overpriced international market run by German Mennonites, but that's it), but the people are significantly friendlier than here.

It could probably be done for $800 a month now, on the very low end. There is cheap housing available, but it all depends on how you want to live.

I have a nice apartment here in BA, but it's nowhere near as nice as this one (the site's a little weird, but there are photos):

http://asuncionciudad.mundoanuncio.com.py/alquilo-y-o-vendo-departamento-c-excelente-ubicacion-zona-club-centenario-amoblado-y-e-iid-441637553#pics

That's a little bit more (but not too much) than I'm currently paying, and it blows my apartment out of the water, and it's furnished. $2,000 USD a month. Very good price for a 3 bedroom (all in-suite), an office, 2 parking spaces...my apartment only has one. You would be hard-pressed to find anything close to this here at that price, I think.

On the other end, here's a nice cozy place for about $600 US a month:

http://asuncionciudad.mundoanuncio.com.py/departamento-amoblado-y-equipado-zona-universidad-nacional-de-derecho-iid-422763839

Asuncion is a bit isolated as far as being on any major air routes, although it is a common stop between Sao Paulo and Buenos Aries. I didn't start traveling to Paraguay until 2007, and I remember when it was smaller, shabbier, and there weren't a lot of foreign foods available. It's changed quite a bit, though. Things have been cleaned up a lot (though the streets still suck downtown!) and there is much more available now.

There's also Ciudad del Este, which i visited on my last trip. There's a lot of stuff to be had there, a lot of it at good prices. I only spent a couple of days there, but what I saw interested me quite a bit. Not to live there, but I can see furnishing a house and borrowing the family pickup and bringing back some good furniture at a decent price, for example.

Asuncion is a reasonably safe place too, although it has its share of issues. You don't hang your arm out of a bus window with a watch on your wrist or walk in the wrong neighborhoods at night. But I've never felt unsafe in Asuncion. Paraguayans have a certain "verguenza" to foreigners. Doesn't make us immune, but just like BA, keep your head up and pay attention and you'll be ok.

We thank you again ElQueso. The links help to paint a more realistic picture also.
That second apartment is almost about what I pay now except that one is larger and probably less noisy.
I think sometimes though I'm stuck back in my old days (not so long ago) of paying $400US max for nice small apartments with the basic fixings throughout the Central, South America. Maybe it's unrealistic now.

You also answered the question I was going to ask about the airport in Asuncion. I need to be fairly close to a major enough international airport and when leaving Argentina, I think I want to stay away from EZE for quite a while. Therefore I think Asuncion to Sao Paolo and then abroad would work, unless there are longhaul flights direct from Asuncion for reasonable prices. I came in this time through Sao Paulo and it was fine. A lot more major flights coming into & departing Sao Paulo these days and reasonable costs.

In regards to food, for some they want the non-local foods and eating places, but thankfully for me from Mexico to Argentina I am very fine with eating the local foods, and for produce, sometimes even prefer them, so I don't have to be concerned wtih that.

For me personally, when I look for culture, stronger infrastructure, etc. I prefer Europe, US, Canada, Australia. Right now though I just need a cheaper place to live for a while somewhere inbetween Mexico & Argentina. To go to southeast Asia would just be too much. Costly airfare and being too far. I like it there before but just can't swing it this time around.

I see Equador mentioned several times. It's an option. As well as Colombia. Plus there'd be the nice sea (as opposed to none in Asuncion). I wonder though if Equador is just as cheap (or maybe cheaper) than Asuncion. Not sure someone here knows both places recent enough.
But then there's the issue of needing to use an Argentine airport (really have tired of them right now), and sometimes requiring proof of onward travel, for example if flying oneway into Equador. Seems easier to just get to Asuncion, or Brasil, or even Uruguay (although not as low cost of living).

I am happy to see this thread make some progress. Thanks to those helping. It helps not only I, but any others also possibly considering this, especially in recent light of situations in BA.

Thanks.

Just one other thing in regards to Asuncion, are the hot/humid summers just absolutely unbearable? Or at least somewhat manageable?
Is it mostly January/February when it really peaks?
Any place whatsoever to take a dip (river, lake)?
Should that discourage someone if it's the only main negative otherwise?
Thanks.

How about Egypt? I was there this week. It's especially cheap in the smaller cities. People were very friendly.

Back