Magdalena´s Party restaurant

Davidglen77

Registered
Saturday Jan 7th night around 11PM we went to Magdalena's after hearing about it in expat circles. We sit down and after 30 MINUTES a kid comes over and puts menus on our table. About 10 minutes after that, a young lady comes over to our table no hello or welcome and she said "ok tell me" I ordered the tacos (which the menu said were $15 each or 3 for $30 and my friend ordered the hamburger with fries for $25. She says "ok" and picks up the menus, looks at them and says "oh no these are not the right prices, the prices changed last month", goes away and brings us new menus with higher prices - $15 each for the tacos (no offer of 3 for $30) and the hamburger with fries $30. I was outraged got up and asked for the manager, the manager, a young lady, just kind of shrugged her shoulders and apologized by saying "we are very busy and we are short employees tonight". Is that a valid excuse for changing prices on menus in our face? I understand completely if the service is slow, however it was Saturday night, there some customers in the restaurant but it certainly wasn't full, there were 2 girls, a guy plus a bartender.......and obviously people in the kitchen, you can't run a small restaurant of barely 25 tables with 4 employees plus a kitchen staff, they should reconsider their line of work.......of course we left and would never consider going back to a place that operates this way!
Thames 1795 (corner Costa Rica) in Palermo SOHO

That does suck but sounds like an off night for sure. Generally, service and food are totally respectable. Some of if not all of the owners are expats and I've found it to be a breath of fresh air USUALLY in terms of service and whatnot, way more like Canada or the US.

However, keep in mind - it is a bar that serves food, not a restaurant per se. Either way I get that you had a terrible experience however having had many good ones there myself (enjoy their brunch!) I would not put it too high on a Stay Away list at all.

That is a disappointment, it's actually illegal for restaurants to charge anything but the price on the menu (while eating in obviously doesn't apply to take out). I would have thrown a big stink just like you and then just left enough money to pay what it should have cost.

bradlyhale said:
"Outraged"? Dramatic much?

Hey Bradlyhale.......just because you like them and who knows may be friends with them, don't be CORRUPT and defend what happened by attacking my choice of words. Get a life!

Davidglen77 said:
Hey Bradlyhale.......just because you like them and who knows may be friends with them, don't be CORRUPT and defend what happened by attacking my choice of words. Get a life!

I've actually never been to the restaurant, nor do I know who owns it. And come on, attacking your choice of words? Do you by chance write the headlines over at HuffingtonPost.com? Anything else you want to blow out of proportion?

Anyhoo, bad service at restaurants is pretty common. I'm not defending it whatsoever. It's reality, and certainly not worth getting one's panties in a twist.

bradlyhale said:
I've actually never been to the restaurant, nor do I know who owns it. And come on, attacking your choice of words? Do you by chance write the headlines over at HuffingtonPost.com? Anything else you want to blow out of proportion?

Anyhoo, bad service at restaurants is pretty common. I'm not defending it whatsoever. It's reality, and certainly not worth getting one's panties in a twist.

First, it's really not necessary to make comments on my choice of words you being part of the peanut gallery. Second my choice of words is not the issue here, if you want to talk about how people express themselves, start a new thread. The issue here is a business establishment switching prices on a menu in my face after waiting 40 minutes for someone to come to our table without as much of a hello and then being absolutely callous to what happened by the supposed manager. SO let's stick to the issue here.......I wonder how you would react let's say in a verdulería if you saw a sign that said "Papas $3 Kilo" and you brought it to the scale to weigh after waiting in a long line for 40 minutes and they said "oh no the sign is wrong, they are really $5 a kilo".......let's bring these things out in the open when they happen and maybe yes maybe some things will change. Think about it!

I was there too and left without eating 'cause I realize they were charging other prices than mentioned. Besides, the tenders were completely not interested in doing their work, even after 20 min! I wonder who'll visit this place a second time.

I live next block to Magdalena's Party and they must be doing something right because almost every night the place is packed with people.

No atacking anyone here , just putting in my unsolicited 2cents.
I take the position that it is of EXTREME importance to bitch about bad service.
I see it as my duty to my fellow human to make them aware of such traps.
I do it too for the people that are providing bad service. If they are not made AWARE of what they are doing , they will never know its wrong. They may CHOOSE or not to change their ways , but at least you did your duty of informing them .
There are WAY too many entrepeneurs in BA that think that its ok to open some bar or restaurant giving zero thought to sanitary conditions , customer service , etc. They trend to the "let me go ahead and open a place and cash in on the stupid people, and then Ill make a convinient for me excuse when anyone complains".
To the OP , good for you , and I thank you for making this info known.
To bradlyhale , yes , you are correct that things are the way they are here, but that doesnt make it acceptable.

Back