Magdalena´s Party restaurant

Bajo_cero2 said:
Usually when I just arrive to a rstaurant I tell them nicely and with a fake smile "kid, you know how does it works, right? You salary sucks, you make money with tips, and I only give good tips for outstanding service". It usually works.
Regards

Napoleon said:
I've waited tables and I would have LOVED IT if I ever had a customer who said that. No spitting, just excellent service. And a nice tip.
:cool:

cbphoto said:
I have waited tables before... and always gave great service.. unless you were a prick. Bajo_Cero2.. if you said something like that to me back then... I would give you shit service.

Interesting to see the divergence of opinions from ex-waiters.The difference may be attributable to the fact that the practice of tipping varies from culture to culture.
In the US it's pretty common to give a tip of at least 10% even for poor service and between 15-20% for good service. In Australia and the UK it is not unusual to leave no tip although it is becoming more common to leave a small tip for exceptional service and at fancy places. In Europe and Brasil a service charge of 10-12% is added to the tab. A small tip of 1-5% may be left for good service, but it is not customary. In Argentina 10% is pretty standard, perhaps a bit more at fancy places for excellent service.

Despite the divergence of customs on tipping it is without doubt extraordinarily crass/boorish to announce (con o sin onda) to the waiter upon arrival anywhere that you will leave a tip only for outstanding service. As much as I may respect bajo__cero2's legal opinions he is off the mark on this one. I have never waited tables, but if I were having a bad day and some annoyingly supercilious customer gave me such an uncouth greeting it would not be surprising if his food was surreptiously "adulterated."

I invite you all to a small shack/choripan place in Puerto de Olivos called My Friend David's.
Plastic chairs and tables inside and out, lovely views of the boats and river.
Excellent service and reasonable prices.
Which is why we keep going back.

Gringoboy said:
I invite you all to a small shack/choripan place in Puerto de Olivos called My Friend David's.
Plastic chairs and tables inside and out, lovely views of the boats and river.
Excellent service and reasonable prices.
Which is why we keep going back.

Sounds good. Love Choripan. If I take the train to the Olivos station is it a long walk to the port. Safe neighborhood?

Davidglen77 said:
Sorry but the inflationary issue is not a good excuse for what happened to us. I owned a retail business here in Buenos Aires for 3 years and I carried over 300 different items. If I or one of my employees mismarked a price or didn't update the price in the system, which did happen every so often, well I took the loss, I never expected a customer to pay a different price at the register than what they saw on the shelf. I never would dream of doing something like that, it's totally unethical and apart from that I know it would ruin my reputation as a business owner. It really doesn't take a lot to make customers happy, good quality, reasonable prices, offer specials, if you have repeat customers give them a small gift every now and then, smile and greet everyone who comes into your business, that's pretty much it. Unfortunately there are some businesses that don't have a clue. There are some that do and those are the ones where I choose to be a customer.

try bringing it down to simpler terms.. your own words...without the xtra commentaries

Saturday Jan 7th around 11PM went to Magdalena's... lady comes over to our table I ordered the tacos and my friend ordered the hamburger .... She picks up the menus, looks at them and says "oh no these are not the right prices, the prices changed last month", goes away and brings us new menus with higher prices...

IF they had SERVED YOU without advising then yes you should get it at old menu price... but not if it is just a simple mistake advised at the moment of ordering...no ?

TomAtAlki said:
Sounds good. Love Choripan. If I take the train to the Olivos station is it a long walk to the port. Safe neighborhood?
5 to 10 min walk from Olivos station, which is on Corrientes towards river.
Turn left after Prefectura and it's there in front of you. Can't miss it.
Yes it's a safe area.:)

KevinK said:
try bringing it down to simpler terms.. your own words...without the xtra commentaries

Saturday Jan 7th around 11PM went to Magdalena's... lady comes over to our table I ordered the tacos and my friend ordered the hamburger .... She picks up the menus, looks at them and says "oh no these are not the right prices, the prices changed last month", goes away and brings us new menus with higher prices...

IF they had SERVED YOU without advising then yes you should get it at old menu price... but not if it is just a simple mistake advised at the moment of ordering...no ?

Sorry Kevin, I don't agree with that. We sat down, waited 30 minutes, after 30 minutes we got menus (which by the way have about 10 items to choose from) we wait another 10 minutes for the girl to come and take our order, no hello, no good evening, no my name is, only "bueno dime" and then after we order, she picks up the menus and looks at them and says, ay, estos son los precios viejos, esperen que les traigo los nuevos menus con los nuevos precios, que cambiaron después del 31." NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I'm with David on this.

Plus, you probably would have waited another 45 minutes to get your food, if not longer. You probably got some sort of food faster by going to a different restaurant.

Again, like the onda at Maggie's, but don't go there hungry. Or expecting any kind of service.

Why somebody should trust a place opened by somebody that could not succeed in his own country? Is not exactly "El Bulli", or a Sirian guy opening a Shawarma hole-in-the-wall. There are many good restaurants in the city,many of them outside the Guia Oleo, many in the neighborhoods outside Palermo and Las Cañitas. Ask the locals,walk the city,and have fun.

scarface said:
Australia and the UK it is not unusual to leave no tip although it is becoming more common to leave a small tip for exceptional service and at fancy places.

Have you been to the UK? Unless you're eating at mcdonalds, you always leave a tip for the waiter. More often than not 12.5% is included in the bill.

Back