Making Bagels

Deportes-loco

Registered
Hi guys. I've got a craving for bagels and was going to try and make them but couldn't find yeast or bread flour (or anything with high protein or gluten) in the supermarkets near me. Was thinking of barrio chino tomorrow but anyone have suggestions of where to go?

Thanks in advance

You must be looking in the wrong places, all supermarkets have yeast and bread flour...

I make bagels sometime, ain't no thang.

Yeast here is called levadura. The active form comes in a rectangular white packet divisible in 2.

For the flour, you don't need fancy high-gluten stuff, just buy regular white flour (I also add in wheat flour, or harina integral).

I use this recipe: http://www.imd.org.ar/festival/?grilla-completa. Some conversions required, of course.

Enjoy, or if you realize that the effort is muchisimo, consult quierobagel.com and pay a lot for circular golden treats. Suerte!

I looked in a Couple of discos in belgrano but couldn't find any
At Disco, in the aisle where they carry pasta, etc you will find flour. You will see Bancaflor, but that is for cakes and has baking powder in it. Go for Favorita or Pureza, either 000 - thicker - or 0000 - more refined - Other barnads are Pureza and Cañuelas. Then go to where they carry all dairy, fresh milk, yogurt, etc and somewhere in that fridge, probably close to empanadas dough, and pie dough you will find levadura - it comes in cubes if it is fresh, the brand you will most likely find is Levex, Calsa or MiPan. Hope you find everything, I assure you these items are at your Disco :) I used to make bagels every once in a while.

I recently learned that Coffee Prince, a korean coffeeshop, has bagals. I haven't tried them yet. It's in Floresta at Moron 3311.

You can find "harina glutinada" at pretty much any dietetica in the city, no need to go to Barrio Chino. I've been making wonderful things on my pizza stone with it recently!

Back