Making The Move In February! Tips Please! :)

So how do you call it when it is just milk and no coffee? This is very confusing.

It's not that confusing. In fact, your own signature uses the word "adado". When someone says "asado", you know they are referring to meat, even though it's an adjective meaning roasted. The meaning is derived from the context. Plus, if I went to starbucks and asked the server for "leche", he might get the wrong idea.

Can you please explain what the heck is a latte? Latte means milk, I can't understand what as strong milk means for anybody aged 5+.

It's the gringo shortcut for "caffé latte." Since English is the only acceptable language anywhere, we just take random words from here and there and make them mean whatever we want them to. So, since no one in the US speaks Italian, "latte" can only mean espresso coffee with milk.

See? Simple.

(I embarrassed myself in Italy once with this very thing. I'm more careful now.)

It's the gringo shortcut for "caffé latte." Since English is the only acceptable language anywhere, we just take random words from here and there and make them mean whatever we want them to. So, since no one in the US speaks Italian, "latte" can only mean espresso coffee with milk.

See? Simple.

(I embarrassed myself in Italy once with this very thing. I'm more careful now.)

Then I embarrassed my self at Starbuck's in NY (glad I finally get it after 10+ years). I described what I wanted (mainly coffee with a tad of milk) and the casher said "So you want a latte?" and I said "But with coffee!!!" and he said "Yeah, a latte!" and again I said "Please make it with cof-feeeee and just a tad of milk, not with just milk!".
We could have gone on forever. I think I asked for an espresso and afterward I asked them to add milk in it.

Then I embarrassed my self at Starbuck's in NY (glad I finally get it after 10+ years). I described what I wanted (mainly coffee with a tad of milk) and the casher said "So you want a latte?" and I said "But with coffee!!!" and he said "Yeah, a latte!" and again I said "Please make it with cof-feeeee and just a tad of milk, not with just milk!".
We could have gone on forever. I think I asked for an espresso and afterward I asked them to add milk in it.

This story is totally ridiculous you know. You're in New York, the language spoken is English. The menu behind the employee's head lists Caffe Latte under espresso drinks and does not include plain milk anywhere and when he uses just the word latte, which in English ( the language most often used in NY) does not mean milk, your first assumption is that he's trying to give you plain milk rather than a cafe latte which is the only context in which the word appears on the menu.

thanks everyone... and for the latte discussion? haha

any tips on the best school for learning spanish?? I am beginner level.. and only have 2 months so will need something that is pretty immersive. :)

thanks!!

Maybe you didn't pronounce it the American way! The second time I went to that Starbucks I tried to order a cappuccino but apparently in the states they pronounce it differently (same as for mozzarella).

Anyway, I don't like drink from paper cups, so I don't understand why Starbucks is so popular world wide beside free wifi.

Back